New 70W HPS Micro ScroG

Aethyr

Thanks guys...

Just a small update, got the light into the fireplace and the hardboard too, bit of tidying up to do and I`ll need to think about lightproofing and air intake but it seems to be going well so far.

Heres a pic so far.

post-2650-1111236409.jpg

Sorry about the quality, had to take the exposure right down or the fireplace was just a big white hole. B)

Edited by Aethyr

Just confirmed the theory that light proofing will be easy, put a sheet of hardboard over the opening and it was sucked tight shut, temps inside after half an hour where 20c identical to room temp.

And thats without any intake vents, only the small gaps round the edges.

Here's a wee diagram of how I plan to do the air intake, just a right angled pipe at each bottom corner of the door going into a false floor with a hole cut in the middle to hold the pot. This should trap light and the new air coming in will come up the side of tha plant pot.

post-2650-1111239958.jpg

Anyone see any problems what this? (hope my explanations adequate, I know what I mean anyway....)

OK, guess this threads been moved to the growroom piccy section then.  Got some seeds germing now so probably keep this thread going till I finish the growspace (can't really call it a room eh?), then start a new thread in the diaries bit once I move the seedlings to the fireplace....

327680[/snapback]

I moved your thread here Aethyr. Once you've cracked your beans, start a Grow Diary :stoned:

class idea, i love stealth grows! so much more has to be considered when you're restricted for space/money/location. good work!

rocky

Thanks Rocky, don't think theres gonna be any problems with this growspace, had the light running now for a couple of days and the reflector hardly seems warm to the touch!

I don't even have any ventilation in there yet. I'll be finishing it off with a lightproof door and a couple of intakes in a week or so (when I`m allowed to drive again, long story) but its looking sweet so far.

I've got 3 Swiss Miss seeds popped and growing away and I'm gonna trust to luck and pick one to scrog hoping for a girl....

I put the seeds in soil on saturday morning, covered in cling film and left them at the top of the airing cupboard, on monday night all 3 were up and looking fine so they're now in the fireplace getting about 60wpsf of loveley hps.

Will get some pictures when I get home and probably start a new thread in the grow diaries section.

Quick question too, whats the difference between a son-e and a son-t light? Anything that matters?

Aethyr

Awesome....... love these realy stealthy grows, why not have the door on a motor and use a false book as a switch to open it (getting carried away). Seriously though you seem to have given this some real thought

.... presume that the fire itself is just for show and you aren't using it/ chimney isn't also used by next door?

Cant wait to see this one developing

Thanks guys, spare room isn't spare anymore so this is about the only place I can grow.

The fire rarely gets used and now srpings almost here it won't get used at all. The rest of the building all have gas fires installed so no problems there.

As for the light I think the only differences are the -t bulb is cylindrical and clear, the -e bulb is oval and white, and about 300 lumens less.

Later

I love this !;) There must be loads of houses with boarded up fire places - some huge - since central heating took over. Great possibilities I hope (until some realist puts a wet blanket over it lol - hope not).Looking forward to you progress :wassnnme:

Hi guys, another quick question for you...

Since I`m only using a 70W HPS do I still need to use a contactor or will the standard timer cope?

Aethyr

Decided to remove the hardboard and paint the bricks instead, just to gain an extra couple of square inches.... :stoned:

Heres a pic, maybe need another coat, it is white than it looks tho, dunno where the blue tint came from.

post-2650-1112133068.jpg