New 70W HPS Micro ScroG

Aethyr

Well guys, I've been away for a bit (from UK420, not inside ;) ) but now I'm back for more. Thought I'd do a proper job of the old grow diary this time round. So here we go, right from the beginning.....

Last time, I mentioned the possibility of using a fireplace for a nice stealth grow, but gave up on the idea thinking the space was too small, and my light was too big. I`ve since learned a bit more about scrog and the possibilities and I've decided to give it a try. I'm gonna get a 70W HPS floodlight (£30 screwfix) and basically stick it up the chimney, about 9 or 10 inches below that put a scrog screen, a gap of another 6 inches to the top of the plant pot, and some swiss miss in said pot....

Heres some pics, and I`ll keep you all updated on my progress.

Doesn't look like a grow room yet...

post-2650-1111095332.jpg

Aethyr

What a bizzare idea... good though!! have u took into account when it rains? do u get any drips down the chim? just a thought. I will be following this one to the end..... will be an intresting one to say the least, good luck mate! ;)

Yeah, in seven years or so, I`ve never noticed it getting wet, never had any dead birds fall in or anything, hopefully it`ll stay that way.

Got my light this morning, that's some fast delivery from screwix, I`ll stick some pics up tonight.

Was thinking about how the fireplace/chimney actually works this morning and had a revelation, I won't need any exhaust fans and the air will still be replaced as quickly as my intakes allow!

A quote from the internet to explain, "The chimney works with the stove or fireplace in a kind of feedback loop. Heat in chimney makes draft, which pulls in more combustion air, which makes the fire burn hotter, which delivers more heat to the chimney which makes more draft and so on. An insulated chimney makes more draft with less heat."

This should mean, the more heat in the fireplace, the faster the air is replaced? Or am I missing something. If things work the way I think, you could put just about any light in there and still stay at little more than ambient.

Also because of the negative pressure it'll pull the door shut making light proofing a cinch.

I'm actually starting to get excited about this, should be fun......

OK, guess this threads been moved to the growroom piccy section then. Got some seeds germing now so probably keep this thread going till I finish the growspace (can't really call it a room eh?), then start a new thread in the diaries bit once I move the seedlings to the fireplace....

That OK with you Joolz.

ps, thanks for looking reading, and I suspect if this works it may become quite popular... No heat problems, cops too lazy to look there? blah blah, enough, cant read keys no more..... :yep:

Later

OK, heres a couple of quick piccies of the light. Gonna have to strip it down as its a little big in the box.

post-2650-1111225444.jpg

This is what it says on the bulb...

OSRAM

VIALOX

NAV(SON)-E

70W/I

Also I got some hardboard when a neigbour through out a wardrobe which should be enough to clad the inside of the fireplace and make a door for it too.

post-2650-1111225536.jpg

Oh, and I worked out some numbers too, I have an area of 1.15 square feet in there, with a 70 Watt bulb, so that works out at near as damn it 60 WPSF :yep:

Edited by Aethyr

Just an idea about cladding the inside of the fireplace...

Do you need to clad it in wood?

I assume there is still fire bricks lining the bottom part of the grate?

Paint them white!! (few coats) - they should easy be able to hold the temp in, and alot more fireproof than some timber ?