The Big Booty Bitches 2017 competition

Briar Fox

It's been years since the likes of Farmer Boy, Datadude and Magoo awed and inspired us with pictures of actual trees they couldn't touch the top off with a stepladder.  Trees that could hide a tribe of pygmies.   Every year, 'how do I grow monsters? / who's grown the biggest monster?' threads are nearly as common as 'am I too late? :unsure:

We were talking about this in another thread, and a load of us agreed this needs to be a thing.  This year, we're going to make a particular effort,  2017 will (hopefully) become the year of the monster.  :yinyang:

large.gauntlet.jpg

That, ladies and gents, is the gauntlet being thrown down.  :D

Arbitrarily, I'm going to set the rule that it's got to be in the floor by the end of June to qualify, to stop someone living next to a field filling a tent and carting it out on their quad bike.  Other than that, do what you want.  I'm going to go with solar irrigation again this year.  I might even dig a well.  :pitchfork:

*not an official competition, no prize other than the Kudos.  Kudos and a motherf**king tree full 'O weed. 

Edited by Briar Fox
  • Like 24

Because these will be in the floor in 3 days time, and I'm impatient I thought I'd show my first entries while they still look good! :fart:

I've planted out bigger than this before to have everything from deer, tree fall, fisherman and thieving commando dingy raids happen to them. :fear:

large.DSC_1974.JPGlarge.DSC_1973.JPG

Edited by Briar Fox
  • Like 19

Great idea for a thread Mr. fox, I'm just back from a mission to drop off my plantout kit at one of my monster plots in readiness for a plant delivery/planting mission tomorrow. I got a big batch going out this week. Not nearly as big as your whoppers as they've just been plodding along outside in my open ended polytunnel since early March.

Looking forward to seeing some of colossuses the good folk over here are gonna be growing

• Like 5

14 hours ago, inaction man said:

Looking forward to seeing some of colossuses the good folk over here are gonna be growing

I hope I've already set quite a few minds a' scheming.  :D:book:

• Like 2

Hey, nice plants! how old are they? mine are 3 weeks and still tiny. not using lights, just the sun.

First time grower here. Found this site and wouldn't have managed to set up with out the advice, so thanks.

Anyone ever use mycorrhizal fungi in the potting mix and was there any improvement in flowering?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Topsy Krets said:

Hey, nice plants! how old are they? mine are 3 weeks and still tiny. not using lights, just the sun.

First time grower here. Found this site and wouldn't have managed to set up with out the advice, so thanks.

Anyone ever use mycorrhizal fungi in the potting mix and was there any improvement in flowering?

Couple of months old. 

And yes, I'm a big believer in micro-herd supplements.  I was using Plant Magic granules but I found the dry granules on new roots caused occasional problems with newly struck cuttings in root riot cubes so I switched to liquid.  At present I'm using Orca, but it's too pricey.

• Like 2

should be good fun...  il be popping some seeds in a couple weeks time that I'm sure will be 10oz+ by the end of sept..   i only mention that so we dont have any  'am i too late to grow a monster?' ..  I've got 10oz off a frizzy planted in july before as have others,  its not about vegging something indoors for months,,  infact often doing this the plant can loose 'momentum' and with the root restriction of being kept in a pot for so long will never be the same...   the tricks to growing monsters are the same as growing autos , you want to maximise growth in those early stages,  so big hole/bed/pot with nice loose soil, lots of food, water sun ..  focus on growing a massive root system,  the top will follow....   

i might have a bash at a monster this year :oldtoker:

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 12

@inaction man never heard of them until you mentioned them.    :unsure:

Had a quick google, looks exactly like the new Vitalink biopac.  Same foil pack, I'm guessing also a powder that you dissolve? 

• Like 1

They do shitloads of stuff, the only thing I ever get is mycorr max which is a mix of beneficial fungi & bacteria. One of which is sold to certified pro horticulturists only for shitloads cos it'll 'have' botrytis in a microfight. I've been messing with mixing with molasses n stuff with it so it shags & breeds into a mega microbe soup & spraying it on my little green friends. Nothings died yet:yinyang:

• Like 6

@inaction man

I'm on the TNC Mycorrmax for plant out this year which I believe helped with last years mould free plants. I'm going to try molasses at one site where I have a stream to water in for flowering. I remember @Loam Gnome saying that it could affect ph so I'm unsure how many applications would be used on soil to have the desired effect and over what period of time ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lea Valley said:

@inaction man

I'm on the TNC Mycorrmax for plant out this year which I believe helped with last years mould free plants. I'm going to try molasses at one site where I have a stream to water in for flowering. I remember @Loam Gnome saying that it could affect ph so I'm unsure how many applications would be used on soil to have the desired effect and over what period of time ?

Generally fungally dominated soils are more acidic than bacterially dominated soils. put lots of green stuff down to encourage bacteria, woody stuff for fungi. Unless you're referring to the molasses?:smokin:

• Like 4