Fred Funk & Dina Durner

Flintstone

1 minute ago, Flintstone said:

@English Archer I'm at 51.4. Micro climate is similar to yours i think. By the coast too!

Fair enough. If you said you were latitude 55-57 and up in Scotland or something I would have said wait a few weeks. But at lat 51, you might as well whack them in the ground now then mate. I have put plants out in February down here which have withstood -3C with no visible damage, and frankly I don't think we'll have another frost again now. With the spring we're having, the plants should start growing vigorous really quickly, so make sure you have plenty of compost and ferts for the early plant out to last it into the autumn. I made that mistake last year... and ended up with severe nitrogen deficiencies in June/July lol. 

• Like 2

@English Archer Yep, very rare an April frost here. Thanks for the heads up regarding ferts! I think I've got that covered. I'll include it in a post here 2moro :yep:  Being near the coast, do you implement much seaweed into your grows?

• Like 2

@Flintstone No, I can't say that I ever have used seaweed mate but it might be worth a shout. I thought it was seaweed extract, specifically, that is used, although I could be wrong. Also, it is only really my 'outdoor lab' plot, and a few small auto plots, which are near the coast, the other 'main' plots are some distance inland, nestled between the valleys in the South Downs, so I wouldn't really bother collecting seaweed and taking it back up into the inland valleys. It would involve walking uphill with it for over an hour pretty much... compared to walking downhill towards the coast which would only take 20-30 minutes. I hear seaweed is some good shit for feeding though, so you should definitely look into it.

• Like 2

Here's my ferts cauldron. I have made a chicken manure and grass clipping lasagne inside of this dustbin. I will be adding some seaweed to this very soon when the weather improves, hopefully 2moro! I'll be extracting the liquid to use as a tea feed while the chicken manure breaks down a bit and then later on I'll add the solids to the plot.

large._DSC3413.jpglarge._DSC3414.jpg

• Like 7

Thank you so much for getting your outdoor grow thread started mate :)

You look to have a great plot and your sees should be with you within the next 5 days :)

Sorry for the delay mate :)

Again thank you for documenting your Dinafem endeavour we will be following along with interest :)

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2017 at 0:55 PM, joesoap said:

Btw, is too late to enter in this competion you speak of?

You can enter mate but we reached the limit for free seeds :)

If you have your own Dinafem seeds and do a diary in this section it will be classed as an entry into the best outdoor grow thread competition :yep:

All the best 

Mark. 

I have never used chicken manure tea but have used the pellets. I think chicken manure is the hottest so maybe be careful, that's if you havn't used before

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geo1 said:

I have never used chicken manure tea but have used the pellets. I think chicken manure is the hottest so maybe be careful, that's if you havn't used before

Indeed, a weak solution is what I'll be aiming for :yep:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Seaweed collected and added to the chicken manure and grass clippings!

large._DSC3415.jpglarge._DSC3416.jpg

Looks like my Mrs cooking

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Seaweed collected and added to the chicken manure and grass clippings!

large._DSC3415.jpglarge._DSC3416.jpg

A nice organic mixture coming tiger her and I'm sure the plants are going to be very great full :)

Can I ask how long do you have to cook this for? A good few months I would imagine?

Great to see some tips and truck being shared :)

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

A nice organic mixture coming tiger her and I'm sure the plants are going to be very great full :)

Can I ask how long do you have to cook this for? A good few months I would imagine?

Great to see some tips and truck being shared :)

All the best 

Mark. 

Chicken manure should have 6 months composting to break it down a bit due to the high nitogen levels. I'm not sure of the age of my chicken manure but it's definitely older than 2 months but had not be turned or looked after as if it would need to be for compost. The good thing with a tea is you can dilute it as much as needed to the desired strength. Then I'll add the solids later on into the grow :yep:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Flintstone said:

Chicken manure should have 6 months composting to break it down a bit due to the high nitogen levels. I'm not sure of the age of my chicken manure but it's definitely older than 2 months but had not be turned or looked after as if it would need to be for compost. The good thing with a tea is you can dilute it as much as needed to the desired strength. Then I'll add the solids later on into the grow :yep:

Thanks for the info mate :yep:

All the best

Mark.

As above, sweet looking plot mate, liking the cauldron too, good idea. 

Best of luck bud 

• Like 2