Fred Funk & Dina Durner

Flintstone

Hey folks, welcome to my 2017 Dinafem Seeds Outdoor Grow Diary!

My 2 selected strains are Amnesia XXL Auto & Critical + 2.0

Awaiting arrival of seeds so in the meantime I'm preparing their home! Looking forward to providing updates and learning as I go!

Thank you Mark for the opportunity to take part in the competition. I wish everyone good fortune and a better yield! Stay safe and all the breast :yep:

• Like 7

Had a few hours Thursday so I thought I'd do a little prep work. The weather was terrible, absolutely chucking it down and this was the easy route in to the Dinafem plot!! Ankle deep water and 50m of this undergrowth having to squat the entire way. I had a backpack full of chicken manure which kept on snagging, canes and a shovel in one hand and half a growbag of compost in the other.

large.IMG_1901.JPG

After the 50m gauntlet, I have a 45 degree bramble infested incline for around 15m then a gorse tunnel for another 5m to reach the plot. Here it is on a sunny day:

large.58c5fdc6bf0d8_Plot3NorthView.jpg

On Thursday it was like this:

large.IMG_1904.JPGlarge.IMG_1903.JPGlarge.IMG_1902.JPG

I was so thirsty after the trek and as soon as I reached the plot, those puddles were heaven!! I was drinking from them in a press up position!! I will be bringing a drink next time, even if it's pouring down with rain!! I also got caught short. Had to take a turd in the bush and wipe my arse with wet leaves! The only dry thing around was gorse undergrowth!!

As you can see, I've chosen where the plants will be going. I turned the soil over and spread some chicken manure. I've also bagged some good nearby soil and brought that to the plot. There is plenty more as the mound of soil is around the size of a tonne bag! It's a loamy clay soil and there is also some leaf mould and litter nearby which I'll add to help prevent clodding of the soil and the chicken manure for ferts! I'm also going to add some soil from underneath the gorse as it has nitrogen fixing properties and is very light! So hopefully with this varied mixture of soils, I can provide a good growing medium and a varied amount of goodness for the plants! Hopefully, my next post will be germination! :yep:

large.58c5fdc23113a_NiceMoundofSoil.jpg

large.Picture_opt.jpglarge.58c5fdc363681_LeafMouldandTyre.jpglarge.58c5fdc11ccea_GorseUndergrowthSoil.jpg

• Like 13

Good effort man. Are you planning to make raised beds, aka swamp tubes in case summer is a wash out? 

:D

• Like 2

I've got some lino I can use to make beds, an idea I got from RandyBoBandy. I think there are a few more tyres kicking around too. Definitely need to raise them up i think :yep:

• Like 1

Subbed. Looks good man, and best of luck.  I'm starting my "Narcotic Kush Auto" outdoor auto grow at the start of May, but will be growing in pots. Do you start yours in cups then transplant into the bed?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, joesoap said:

Subbed. Looks good man, and best of luck.  I'm starting my "Narcotic Kush Auto" outdoor auto grow at the start of May, but will be growing in pots. Do you start yours in cups then transplant into the bed?

Hey joesoap, I currently have another grow diary in the gg section - Flintstone's Virgin Grow - You'll see there I have started them off in 6cm fibre pots from Wilko's. I'd recommend the 8cm mind. Then them placed into a tray and propagator lid on top, again, both from Wilko's. I have used Homebase potting/seedling soil with John Innes No.1 and germinated in this too. I plan to do the same for my Dinafem grow too!

The free seeds for the competition are no longer available but if you contact Dinafem Mark and see if you can use your own Dinafem beans then you could be in luck!! All entries must have a diary started by the 20th of April. Thanks and all the best with your grow :yep:

Edit: The pots are bio degradeable and the roots grow through the pots. So they will be planted into their beds while in the pots at plant out!

Edited by Flintstone
More Info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Flintstone said:

Hey joesoap, I currently have another grow diary in the gg section - Flintstone's Virgin Grow - You'll see there I have started them off in 6cm fibre pots from Wilko's. I'd recommend the 8cm mind. Then them placed into a tray and propagator lid on top, again, both from Wilko's. I have used Homebase potting/seedling soil with John Innes No.1 and germinated in this too. I plan to do the same for my Dinafem grow too!

The free seeds for the competition are no longer available but if you contact Dinafem Mark and see if you can use your own Dinafem beans then you could be in luck!! All entries must have a diary started by the 20th of April. Thanks and all the best with your grow :yep:

I too have gone with the 6cm fibre pots for the 'early' wave of autos I am putting out. The photoperiods however are in larger plastic drinking/party cups as they will remain in those pots for 4-5 weeks. In my opinion, fibre pots are best for autos. Grow them for a few days in the pots until they get a bit bigger and stronger, then plant the fibre pot straight in the ground. I prefer to cut the bottom off so the roots can quickly get out and access the soil below.

Some nice plots you've got there as well Fred :yep: 

@joesoap You should be allowed to join the Dinafem diary comp whenever if you want, you just won't be able to qualify for free seeds, as that window has passed, so you'll have to use your own. No reason why you can't start a diary in the comp section though mate.

• Like 2

Just now, English Archer said:

I too have gone with the 6cm fibre pots for the 'early' wave of autos I am putting out. The photoperiods however are in larger plastic drinking/party cups as they will remain in those pots for 4-5 weeks. In my opinion, fibre pots are best for autos. Grow them for a few days in the pots until they get a bit bigger and stronger, then plant the fibre pot straight in the ground. I prefer to cut the bottom off so the roots can quickly get out and access the soil below.

Some nice plots you've got there as well Fred :yep: 

@joesoap You should be allowed to join the Dinafem diary comp whenever if you want, you just won't be able to qualify for free seeds, as that window has passed, so you'll have to use your own. No reason why you can't start a diary in the comp section though mate.

I definitely agree!! I'm at 3 weeks now and I feel that they are going to outgrow the pots. The plants from my other grow will be out in the wild within 7-10 days. I was aiming for 4 weeks in those pots so I could plant out at the start of Easter holiday. I've got 16 days off from this coming Friday so they'll be going out soonish! I wouldnt like to push them pots beyond 4 weeks! :yep:

• Like 1

To be honest, I think you'll be alright leaving them in the pots for another few weeks if you keep them well fed, but likewise, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get them in the ground either as the temps and levels of sunlight are really picking up now. The weather this spring is crazy warm and dry, at least it is down my end. The plants should start growing and thriving immediately once in the ground. I'm putting my first wave of autos out tomorrow haha. Not expecting much from an early April auto plant out though, obviously...

What latitude are you at mate if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1