Tea and Tiffin

SaladBar

Hi All,

My first diary and first time I have written anything more than a few lines for t'internet so please be gentle :cowboy:

First a word to the sponsors @Dinafem-Mark  Beans have all arrived safe and sound, so big up Dinafem for sorting it out and coming up with the goods, WW XXL and Blue Critical.  Grew Dinafem WW as my autos last year and they were pretty good, gonna grow the WW XXL in same spot but fewer of them there so they get bit more room.  Hoping for direct comparison between last years non XXL version and this years.

large.IMG_0166.JPGlarge.IMG_0165.JPG

So next thing i need to learn is how to make the pictures smaller, but hopefully you get the idea.

I was really happy to be chosen to get some beans and its the first time I have even asked to be fair so was over the moon when Mark "picked" me out.   The UK420 site had only just changed to the new format and i was still getting to grips with all the change but I found the reply button and clicked it.  I constructed a well worded, polite mail and sent all the details requested, including full address and phone number.  

Suddenly my inbox lit up, pretty much first time ever.  I thought "Wow" entering a comp has gained me some new friends and they have all come to say Hi, but alas no.  I had in my haste replied to everyone that Mark had selected and sent loads of UK420 members my personal details, what a feckin' muppet.  Anyway the upshot is they have all been invited round for "Tea and Tiffin".......

The fun doesn't end there either, the postie knocked with the beans the other day, standard postie chat ensues and I realise the name on the packet isn't mine.  We um and ahh about what to do and I then decide to just open it in front of him and out plops one of the tins which I instantly recognized as a Dinafem tin.  You have never seen someone move so fast and snatch the tin back up like it wasn't even there, lightening fast like a slight of hand magician.  I stammered some response about oh yeah they were mine and suddenly remember I gave Mark my screen name to add a bit of stealth and had totally forgotten.

So this has to be the unstealhiest start to a stealthy season, things can only get better..........................

Good luck to all in the comp and looking forward to keeping you all posted on my adventures.

SB

• Like 15

Nice to see they got there safe and sound mate :yep: and this looks to be one great season :) Thank you for getting your outdoor grow diary going and may I say you choose 2 great strain to grow :)

I'll be following along with interest and here to a great outdoor grow season :yep:

All the best 

Mark. 

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 1

Best of luck this season mate I'll be hanging around willing you on :)

Like to see how the autos perform outdoors

All the best

• Like 2

@Jumpin Jack yea started indoors.  Goes against everything your supposed to do with autos but always get a result.  

Like to grow them on a bit under 24h CFL then stick them out mid May onwards.  Have found timing is critical for autos outdoor in UK.  Must be out and established ready for longest days.

• Like 3

Just to add I wil also be growing photos, Varios HFH, Durban Poison.  And a bunch of other autos.

good to have plenty of variety and a nice staggered harvest.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SaladBar said:

@Jumpin Jack yea started indoors.  Goes against everything your supposed to do with autos but always get a result.  

Two years ago had great results from autos that I started indoors the last week of April and planted out June 1st..

Not sure on the strain tho cause they where givin to me from a friend that got them from his friend.:)

• Like 2

On 17/03/2017 at 11:04 PM, Jumpin Jack said:

Two years ago had great results from autos that I started indoors the last week of April and planted out June 1st..

Not sure on the strain tho cause they where givin to me from a friend that got them from his friend.:)

I think most start autos indoors especially here in the UK :) most viable option. Pot out about 7-14 days old :)

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 3

ha ha, my own mishap with dinafem beans involved writing down my safe address & and being unable to remember postcode.   So phoned to check.... only to later discover they were at work, so gave me the postcode where they were when i asked ....i combined the two into an ultra safe address that nobody can find...schmoke and a pancake if anyone gets them.....

(I went the full monty and wrote this address on a post-it and used many ,many times before discovering the fuck up)

GL Dude best to get these things out of the way early in season :) blue sky thinking.....

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

not a real update as I wont be posting any pictures just yet.  This is more just to let you know I am still in the game :skin_up:

Unless you really want to see plastic containers with dirt in and seeds on tissue?  Yes that does mean I have finally got cracking, First batch of beans has been cracked, inc 7 of the comp beans :yinyang:

This season really is going from strength to strength for me, in a shit kind of way.  After the feck ups with delivery etc I went to check on my "banker" plots, these have basically been used for last 3-4 years with no issues, safe, sunny and great soil after a few years of hard work.  Well 2 out of the 3 are no more.  All been cleared!!  WTF!!  This is proper clearance of the local land, just so happens they went right through my plots, found my dpc pots and netting all just shredded and smashed into the ground which really isn't going to do anyone any good, especially the wild life.

1 of the plots still survives and is where the main bulk of these comp seed will be going, 3xWW in one bed and 4xBlue Crit in another bed but at same plot.  The rest will be going in new tester plots in 1's, this gives me the first year with only 1 plant at the plot to make sure its all good before dropping more in there the following year.

I'll start getting more active with updates once we get to the more interesting parts of the process, for now its time for more Tea and Tiffin.

Good luck with your grows and :haveadab:

• Like 6

On 2017-5-2 at 9:24 AM, SaladBar said:

Hi All,

not a real update as I wont be posting any pictures just yet.  This is more just to let you know I am still in the game :skin_up:

Unless you really want to see plastic containers with dirt in and seeds on tissue?  Yes that does mean I have finally got cracking, First batch of beans has been cracked, inc 7 of the comp beans :yinyang:

This season really is going from strength to strength for me, in a shit kind of way.  After the feck ups with delivery etc I went to check on my "banker" plots, these have basically been used for last 3-4 years with no issues, safe, sunny and great soil after a few years of hard work.  Well 2 out of the 3 are no more.  All been cleared!!  WTF!!  This is proper clearance of the local land, just so happens they went right through my plots, found my dpc pots and netting all just shredded and smashed into the ground which really isn't going to do anyone any good, especially the wild life.

1 of the plots still survives and is where the main bulk of these comp seed will be going, 3xWW in one bed and 4xBlue Crit in another bed but at same plot.  The rest will be going in new tester plots in 1's, this gives me the first year with only 1 plant at the plot to make sure its all good before dropping more in there the following year.

I'll start getting more active with updates once we get to the more interesting parts of the process, for now its time for more Tea and Tiffin.

Good luck with your grows and :haveadab:

Thank you for letting us know your intentions mate and will look out for a picture update when you have some progress to show :yep:

Until the next update :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, Time for a long overdue update :)

Been out digging :)  Need to go and top up with compost/dirt today and then plant out early next week.

Once I have dug a sensible size hole/bed it is lined with DPC, this makes it like a swamp tube or bottomless pot.  I tend to do this for a number of reasons, it keeps goodness in, keeps surrounding plants roots out, helps create a lip that is harder for slugs to get over.  There are down sides like it constrains roots from spreading but the ground is so shite in some of the areas I plant that there isn't much for the roots to go at anyway.  The DPC is then surrounded by 60cm high plastic netting, this is very stiff and doesn't need any extra support.  I'll get a photo later as I am dropping some dirt off, a picture speaks a thousand words so hopefully it will be clearer when you see it.

Once the bed is dug and lined it is back filled with standard MP compost.  The first bag that goes in also contains chicken poo and FBB:

medium.IMG_0178.JPG.d3025b7e752c634f9ec8

medium.IMG_0179.JPG.8321de7f02cea499a524

I like to make sure this is at the bottom of the hole so its not too hot at plant out but gives the plants something later on.  This stage is also done 4-6 weeks prior to plant out to let everything bed in.  On top of that goes enough dirt/compost to fill up to lip of DPM.  

Specifically for this diary I am using 2 beds, the plan was 3xWW in one and 4xBlue Critical in the other, this has changed slightly as you'll see further down.  Both beds have DPC, Net and first couple of dirt bags in, this was all done 4-6 weeks ago ready for plant out.  Each bed once completed will contain approx 150L of compost/dirt which should be plenty for the small numbers.

The Plants

The important part :skin_up:

All germed in wet tissue and then planted into grease proof paper pots filled with compost.  these are kept inside over night under CFL and then outside when weather permits.  24 hour light for the start of their lives though.

These pictures were taken approx 1 week ago, things have moved on since then but will save that for another update:

White Widow XXL, whats not to like.  All 5 germed fine and look very consistent at this early stage:

medium_ww.JPG.10c6887580d1bf17728e2c3f49

Auto Blue Critical, not so good.  All 5 germed fine and looked good to start with.  You can see from the picture their is 1 possibly 2 runts.  I don't do enough plants to have runts so these will get binned:

medium_BrCr.JPG.81e36e339b515420f3725afc

This is where the plans change slightly as the beds will now be 3xWW in one bed and then 3xBrCr and 1xWW in the other bed.  The other WW will get put out in a different spot.

So far everything is going to plan, all of my autos will be in the ground within the next week to allow them to settle for the longest days of the season.  Weather forecast isn't great but a bit of rain early on to help bed everything in is always welcome, as long as the sun is back out by mid month then we should be golden.

Next update will be at plant out in the next week or so but for now I am off for Tea.

SaladBar

Edited by SaladBar
  • Like 6