Keeping unrooted clones in cold storage

hashmaster3000

Im thinking clean and sterile cutting and container misted with cooled boiled water  before going in fridge to last longer maybe even a bit of h202 

ive done this by taking big long cuts that i dont need on the plant, save them in a misted sealed foodbag , then when the other lot has flowered i take cuts from the fridge cuts.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Another kinda bump...

So, I took a bunch of cuts four weeks ago - I popped them in seal-able sandwich bags - very light misting in the bag - folded the top of the bag over and placed them in a veg drawer... They look as fresh as a daisy four weeks on... It has driven Mrs S up the wall a wee bit to have half our veg storage space given up for around a dozen cuts for the last four weeks and counting! :wassnnme:

Today, I trimmed and popped one of the cuts in 0.5lt pot with coco, put a plastic bag over it and sealed that with an elastic band (my usual way to root cuts). My only concern is that I might have wet the coco a little too much... Its now sitting in a cab with three lil mums...

I'll post a few pics of the other cuts to show how they look and how they have been stored. And I will update when it roots or dies...

:v:

• Like 8

The best way to keep herbs fresh in the fridge is rolling up a bunch of them like a very fat blunt about the width of a cucumber.. paper towels around them for the first layer, open at the top and folded over at the bottom, then run under the tap and repeat with cling film.. place rolls in an open topped container in the fridge covered with a tea towel that’s kept damp.

Have tried all other methods mentioned above on an industrial scale and this beats all others by a long way.. never thought to try it with cuts but having read this will be giving it an eight/nine week trial and reporting back with results on here. Thanks for the great idea :) 

Edited by Era
  • Like 4

Had to go back to the OP to like it.

I admit I thought someone was selling us a bridge but, having read through the thread, its true, you can keep cuttings in the fridge.

Learn something new everyday.

• Like 5

Very glad this is of some value to anyone with limited space or other factors making it difficult to keep well loved plants going for as long as they want! Fingers crossed!!

A few pics of the cuts that I have yet to pot up...

Four weeks after being put in the fridge, the cuts look like this... pretty nice and fresh looking!! The ones in the bags are still nice and "sturdy", the ones in the plastic tub (that was closed fully) have wilted - they may still come back though... I reckon, as the OP stated, leaving the bags open but folded closed is better than a sealed container - but its early days!

Assuming the one just potted on works out, the plan is to leave the bagged others for two further weeks, then pot one up, two weeks later, I'll try another and so on... I'll see how far I can take this with what I have - 5 more bagged cuts and two in the box...

They are a mix of white skunk (Sensi) and Orange Kush (Seedism) I, stupidly, did not mark them, so I won't know what's what until/if they get into veg. I do not plan on growing any of them out - I don't have space and I am doing this as an experiment to see how much time I can take away and still come back to cuts I can grow out...

large.cut-2.jpglarge.cut-3.jpglarge.cut-1.jpg

• Like 20
41 minutes ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

What a hardy plant cannabis is.

@MyDisplayName2000 It really is amazing! I'm totally taken with how fresh they still look after four weeks!

They keep far better and longer than any veg that goes in there! Not that anything would be there for four weeks mind! lol

:v:

• Like 5

I have experienced similar..

Threw out some young plants (3 to 4 weeks in veg). Then 5 days later decided i wanted to do another grow.. the plants had been in a black bin  bag the garden.. in SNOW.

a few weeks later, you wouldnt even know that they had been abused.

Doubt it would do unrooted cuts any good thou.. 

Edited by Mr_cocofibrelover
  • Like 4

Man this is a game changer! :bong: 

Thanks to all of you for your input, contributions and clarifications, this will for sure help a lot of growers out who like to go on holiday etc. and don't trust auto watering :george:

I've had cuttings posted to me across country before & they all rooted, so I guess it's no surprise that this works :smokin:

• Like 4
16 hours ago, AKPOG said:

Man this is a game changer! :bong: 

Thanks to all of you for your input, contributions and clarifications, this will for sure help a lot of growers out who like to go on holiday etc. and don't trust auto watering :george:

I've had cuttings posted to me across country before & they all rooted, so I guess it's no surprise that this works :smokin:

would be good if you got raided an all as its just some more weed as it has no roots.

• Like 4

i've got to say this one of the most unbelievable, surpising threads ive ever come across on this site since ive been on..

why have i never heard of this before??,

i've alway RUSHED a cutting from being snipped off the plant, to water, and finally to clonex and the rooting medium because ive been terrified of "embolisms"....  :doh:

have i been getting Sherbinskied for the last 20 years or what??   :guitar:

:yinyang:

Edited by Redgrotto
  • Like 1