'Hidden' wall, 3 room grow space

wotnwhy

• 11 months later...

great idea to make a stealth grow box. i remember seeing this thread years ago. 

deserves a bump, for people who are thinking of growing stealth style. :smoke:

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Nice to see this thread gets picked up now and again :)

It really was a fantastic space. 1 fan for 3 spaces! I often wondered if it would have worked better with the air flowing from the flower room into the veg/drying cabs, but had consistent, manageable temps in all three spaces throughout the seasons. Thought the extra humidity from the veg/drying spaces may cause problems in the flower room, but never really had an issue.

• Like 1

I'll have to dig out some pics of when I had to turn this back into a wardrobe after a pipe burst in the wall behind it!! :wacko:

I had 24 hours to turn it from a loaded grow room, into an innocent cupboard! I have a pic of three plumbers basically stood inside it looking at the wall behind! lol

• Like 3

As a reminder. Here's how it was as a 'hidden wall' space, when fresh built over 5 years ago.
large.gallery_64756_5548_5363.jpg.af9f40

But with a burst water pipe in the real wall behind it, things had to be returned to their original state.
So first up, down with the wall!
large.DSC_0007.JPG.60ca68c445c461cb387cd

large.DSC_0010.JPG.81e75f750880b9639bb3a

^^^ You can see the wet patch right in the centre of the big space at the back, you can just make out that it goes up the wall, too. Suggesting to me that the burst is behind the wall, not under the floor.

But that's the plumbers job, not mine, so back to work and back up with the doors!
large.DSC_0014.JPG.3ef5229467dcc327afa23

I was very careful when I originally took the doors, skirting, and frame out. That extra time and diligence at the start payed obvious dividends right here! :yep:

Got some platerboard and covered the whole ceiling bit to cover the extraction hole, and similarly for the intake holes bottom right.

So after a tidy up, and making things looked 'lived in', it was ready for three (yes, THREE! overkill much?) plumbers to come have a gander!
large.DSC_0023.JPG.37ca1f6af1202fdef0677

After cutting up the floor to find no pipes (like I told them!), they cut the wall and found the pipes...
large.DSC_0021.JPG.f84b16f8b612f0b6bef8f

They were all gobsmacked by what was found to have gone. Apparently these pipes are rated to over 12 bar, the boiler itself can only handle three, so how this happened is apparently a mystery..
large.DSC_0019.JPG.851f67651cc10940adf83

The plants were all taped up in cardboard boxes (luckily I had a fridge box handy!) in another room with a fan and filter running, but I never got set back up and just chopped them early. Was the right move because as luck would have it, my landlord went bankrupt a couple of months later and the bank repossessed the house. He forgot to tell me until the day before the estate agents were coming round...

Edited by wotnwhy
  • Like 12

Mate I'm glad this thread surfaced that was a brilliant grow space, I was tempted to do that until I got a tent set up.

Let us know how the next grow room comes along!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great thread this @wotnwhy bit of a guide for what im doing now. Can i ask how you fitted your access pannel? It looks like it fitted wider than the opening? How did you secure it? 

Thanks @Lean Bear! I love that this thread still gets looked at! And if it can help or inspire, even better! :D

This is the built in frame with platerboard. Note how the plasterboard stops roughly and inch short of the wooden frame.

gallery_64756_5548_80353.jpg

This is with the frame for the cover in place. It is not secured and just slides in and out. Though due to an excellent carpenter it's almost perfectly flush! 

gallery_64756_5548_100798.jpg

The piece of wood that screws onto the cover frame is the size of the plasterboard gap.

gallery_64756_5548_104024.jpg

With a couple of handle screwed on, you then just pull the whole cover out/off. It's not hinged or anything.

Hope that makes sense! But let me know if not! ;)

Edited by wotnwhy
  • Like 4