'Hidden' wall, 3 room grow space

wotnwhy

Hi all. Barely been around the boards of late. But that doesn't mean I haven't been doing anything! Quite the opposite :wink:

I was not enjoying the noise, hassle, indiscreteness and downright space invasion of my grow tent. I was also having trouble putting together a veg/mum cab. And with the drying box too, my bedroom was totally taken over.. SO!

My room had a built-in cupboard. Twin door, with a smaller one coming off to the side. Unfortunately, I didn't start taking pictures till we we're well under way. Bit gutted as a before and after shot would have been great. So here's the first picture we have:

gallery_64756_5548_43236.jpg

The doors were those white slatted things (like the little door on the right). In this pic we have taken the doors, frame and shelf out. And are starting the new frame.

So, lookng at that picture, the plan was; Bottom right space will be storage/drying area. The air will be drawn in here first from vents put in just under the door. This air will then be drawn up to the upper right space, which will be the veg/mum cab. With the air finally being drawn into the large flower space and out into the garage behind the wall, with the fan the other side of the wall in the garage, to reduce noise.

The main flower room will essentially be turned into a fake wall. The drying/veg/mum area will keep it's door. The aim here isn't absolute stealth. Just enough to not arouse suspision should someone walk into the room. So lets see how we got on!

The area started off as 1 big space, so first up. A partition between the flower space and the rest:

gallery_64756_5548_90585.jpg

Batton up

(you can also see where there was a shelf that ran the whole length of the cupboard. Also note the triangular space now created at the top of the veg/mum cab)

gallery_64756_5548_44337.jpg

And partition is up!

And the 2 new rooms it creates:

gallery_64756_5548_74684.jpg

Finishing the flower frame:

gallery_64756_5548_126039.jpg

The middle square will be the access hatch

And with the plaster board added...

gallery_64756_5548_80353.jpg

... that means all spaces are created! :D

So time for a cuppa and a spliff! :skin_up: See you after the break :)

• Like 42

That is brilliant , and a bit of a kick up the arse for me . Ive got a little space begging to be false-walled .

Are you quite handy (at DIY etc)? Could you give an idea of how long it'll take to do and how easy it is ?

With your access being quite high up , how will you deal with removing runoff / watering? (especially from a plant at the back of the space).

Sorry for so many qs man .

nice one :yep:

• Like 1

That is brilliant , and a bit of a kick up the arse for me . Ive got a little space begging to be false-walled .

Are you quite handy (at DIY etc)? Could you give an idea of how long it'll take to do and how easy it is ?

With your access being quite high up , how will you deal with removing runoff / watering? (especially from a plant at the back of the space).

Sorry for so many qs man .

nice one :yep:

Hi :)

I'm not handy at all. I'm afraid the work was done by a friend and his dad. My fried is a carpenter so this was all easy for him. And his dad is a plasterer. All the framework was a doddle, just make sure you USE your tape measure and spirit level :wink: and you'll be fine. The plastering however, looked like something you'd need a bit of practice at before you could do a good job..

I'd say in total it's been about 10 hours work. But we've been doing little bits once a week for about 2 months as it's all the time we have.. So I'd say it's doable over a weekend.

I have 8 plants in there at the moment which is too many, it's a bit cramped.. But I have no problem watering. Slide the 2 pots at the front back a bit and it's easy enough to get a watering can down. Certainly easier than the tent. I take the plants out once a week and this too is not as much hassle as with the tent.

If I wanted to do a ScrOG then the net would have to be a good 12 inches above the hatch to allow access. But there is a LOT of headroom in this space so there would still be plenty of room, you would simply have to build a raised platform for the pots.

I have the old base from the tent in the space to catch any spillages.

And don't apologise for questions :) I love this site for what it's taught me. And is exactly the reason I'm taking the time to put this up. I want to inspire/help others here as they have helped/inspired me! :smokin:

• Like 4

Looking amazing, As said would be worth putting a painting, a mirror or a cork board up over the hatch so it doesn't look out of place.

:yinyang:

The ideas for covering we've had so far are:

Painting; but it's finding a big enough one..

Poster; I'm not much of a poster man, but if I find the right one

Cork board; The most sensible idea so far

Arcade machine; the best idea so far. Except for getting it up the stairs, and moving it each time you wanted access...

Dresser; good idea and handy, but like the arcade maching, bit of hassle gaining access

Mirror; Got one that would be perfect. But it needs a new frame and is ridiculously heavy, hanging it would be tricky..

Edited by wotnwhy

Hi there loving your work that's a really nice grow cupboard!

Just a lil question, I see you've got lights and fans etc plugged into an extension cable I was thinking of doing this myself as just about to start growing but there's only one socket within a few metres of my grow room, will any old extension cable work or will it have to be a certain amp and surge protected etc?

Hi there loving your work that's a really nice grow cupboard!

Just a lil question, I see you've got lights and fans etc plugged into an extension cable I was thinking of doing this myself as just about to start growing but there's only one socket within a few metres of my grow room, will any old extension cable work or will it have to be a certain amp and surge protected etc?

The one I'm using is a very heavy duty one I got from Lidl ages ago. I don't think it's recommended. But I've always done it, as has my friends dad (the plasterer). No problems yet. But again, I'm sure I've read it's not a good idea. But can't see any other solution apart from getting in an electrician (and I don't know one who grows so can't!). I'm only running a 400w lamp so not too worried about it, my friends dad runs 2x400's, I think I'd be less comfortable with that.

Edited by wotnwhy
  • Like 1

Excellent spot of building work there wotnotwhy. Personally I'd try to build a movable bookshelf myself to mask the door, failing that a portrait with removable eyes so you can peek out from the grow room in case those meddling kids and their mutt are around.

• Like 25

An inspirational read wotnwhy and a job well done mate. :yep: The only potential problem i can see is that in summer the passives could be a bit small for the air-flow required, of course if this does happen you can just rig an active intake up.

Excellent spot of building work there wotnotwhy. Personally I'd try to build a movable bookshelf myself to mask the door, failing that a portrait with removable eyes so you can peek out from the grow room in case those meddling kids and their mutt are around.

Best suggestions so far! :D

The best sensible idea AND the best silly! One of the running jokes on the build was the fact I wanted to be able to get INTO the space with the plants. Y'know.. just rummage about with them and stuff.. Naked obviously.. For health and safety reasons of course.. :ninja:

• Like 3