Laph's Easy Single Variac Fan Control

Laphroaig

thanks for that jh

nice work on your controllers as well had a look though builds nice job

just waiting now for the 2amp variacs to come back in stock just taking for ever :shock:

Edited by fudge123

• 7 months later...

i guys could some one help me please.

im looking for the wire diagram on page 66 but cant find it since the site updates thank

any help be great guys

• 7 months later...

fraid Laph had to delete his account for a while & take a break from the site, this includes losing some of his pic's & his diagram's,

tho if you read through the first page & check out how he wired it, you can figure out about 90%, once I've got more time, I'll do one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

fraid Laph had to delete his account for a while & take a break from the site, this includes losing some of his pic's & his diagram's,

tho if you read through the first page & check out how he wired it, you can figure out about 90%, once I've got more time, I'll do one.

ok thanks i did try but i need a diagram

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, Joint hogger said:

I’m sorry to say the wiring diagram wasn’t mine to begin with,  But it’s not too hard so I’ll put it on my to-do list.  I didn’t delete the account here, just got paranoid and hid until I was sure no-one was trying to get me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great guide this. Im looking at building one of these myself (at last) I have a quick couple of questions if I may.

Will this: RS Pro 1 Phase 240VA Variac, 1 Output, 240V, 1A   be okay for a 4" fan? (Pretty sure it's plenty big enough)

And also can I add an external temp probe to the atc-800? So I can fit the probe inside my grows pace but leave the main controller box outside? 

Thanks!

yes, it'll be fine using a 1A variac as a 4" fan only uses about 0.2A - 0.3A but just to point out that the 1A variac is really a 0.9A variac if your using it continously.

• Like 1

Thanks @Joint hogger for your speedy response! I'll post on this thread again when I've built it, or got into trouble with the wiring.. 

:yinyang:

• 1 month later...
On 01/09/2012 at 4:28 AM, Laphroaig said:

Maplin 5A DPDT 240v power relay and base

Just to let people know, I went into Maplin the other day and they told me they were not going to stock relays any more. It is possible it was just for the store I went into but they sounded like it was a company wide decision. They might be cutting back on all their components and concentrating on things like drones from the sound of it.

2 minutes ago, MicroDoser said:

They might be cutting back on all their components and concentrating on things like drones from the sound of it.

Pretty sure they're going bust mate........can't give a source off hand but remember something about it in the news last week.......

:oldtoker:

• Like 2

Just now, stu914 said:

Pretty sure they're going bust mate........can't give a source off hand but remember something about it in the news last week.......

:oldtoker:

That would fit with the faces on the guys who worked there who were telling me about the relays.

Anyway, I have found that Amazon and China are a good combo for getting cheap electronics if you don't mind the wait while it gets shipped from overseas. I got 4 relays and bases for the price of 1 relay from Maplin, admittedly two are not top notch but that still leaves two good ones for the price of one.

• Like 1

You can find similar relays on eBay from UK sellers for around £7 for the relay and base.  But it looks as if you're right about Maplin, I went down for some components recently and they couldn't help.  Even basic things like ferules and cable glands jut got me blank looks.