Laph's Easy Single Variac Fan Control

Laphroaig

Usually the bases are sold separately from the actual relays, I got mine from Maplins they're all on the same page.

Peace

• Like 1

Great ideas these.

I built the atc800+ twin with a few added switches last weekend.

1 to isolate intake fan

1 to isolate circ fan/s

1 to switch exhaust to full.

Basically to use when tent is open to stop smell going to rest of house just flip all 3 switches and back when it's closed.

Have to say the diagram was easy to follow. Think it was Clay Davis one I used.

And 10" L1 fan at 50% is quieter than my desktop PC and can't be heard outside the room the tent is in at all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this up but what a great thread and FairPlay

I'm planning on doing this aswell

Can someone kindly post the relay and base product codes from maplins

Also the two trailing plug you have wired is one fans one heating? I use two tube heaters so could I use a double gang trailing socket for That and also on the other single I have read intake fan? Do people have intake and exhaust running off same socket thanks hope I got this somewhere near if that makes sense peace

Edited by Wes widow

I have now found most of the info in another thread thanks anyway and sorry to waste anytime

Sorry to bring this up but what a great thread and FairPlay

I'm planning on doing this aswell

Can someone kindly post the relay and base product codes from maplins

Also the two trailing plug you have wired is one fans one heating? I use two tube heaters so could I use a double gang trailing socket for That and also on the other single I have read intake fan? Do people have intake and exhaust running off same socket thanks hope I got this somewhere near if that makes sense peace

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laph, Just thought I'd say thanks for the guide and inspiration! This is my mum room controller based on yours. I just wish the ATC came in a better colour than pale yellow!

med_gallery_30655_7812_577699.jpg

• Like 3

Heh, absolutely right!

It's a box to control the mum room, so it's got a contactor for the lights, the timer, and IEC outlets along the top for circ. fans, heater, a two gang socket, and the lights. I'm still waiting for a digital voltmeter to arrive before I can get it finished off. That'll go in the hole below the variac.

Heh, absolutely right!

It's a box to control the mum room, so it's got a contactor for the lights, the timer, and IEC outlets along the top for circ. fans, heater, a two gang socket, and the lights. I'm still waiting for a digital voltmeter to arrive before I can get it finished off. That'll go in the hole below the variac.

i take it you went for a lcd voltmeter going with the shape of the hole, im going to use a round analog voltmeter in my next build.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waitng for the LCD voltmeter to arrive before I can get it fully finished off, but here's some more pics of my controller based on Laph's.

IEC outlets along the top

med_gallery_30655_7812_314530.jpg

med_gallery_30655_7812_272044.jpg

And the inside. I'll not be doing a wiring diagram to try and explain it all as its a bit confusing :lookaround:med_gallery_30655_7812_31482.jpg

Edited by mooker
  • Like 8

• 1 year later...

Bump to stop Laph's build getting lost.

I'm still waitng for the LCD voltmeter to arrive before I can get it fully finished off, but here's some more pics of my controller based on Laph's.

IEC outlets along the top

med_gallery_30655_7812_314530.jpg

med_gallery_30655_7812_272044.jpg

And the inside. I'll not be doing a wiring diagram to try and explain it all as its a bit confusing :lookaround:med_gallery_30655_7812_31482.jpg

bit late @@mooker but thats an excellent bit of work right there Mooker :yep:

• Like 2