Laph's Easy Single Variac Fan Control

Laphroaig

Ha ha, I need to know these things cos of my limited knowledge of electrics! I wasn't sure if it mattered which live terminal went into which input. I'm gonna definitley try this soon. I'll post a report to let you know how it goes :)

I've got one of those too ..... "a limited knowledge of electrics," damn stuff scares me stupid. Everything I've learnt about it has been from reading this forum and pestering Scraglor et al with lots of stupid questions. Not to concern you too much but posting the details here is just as much a "please tell me what I've done wrong before I burn the house down" as it is a "woo look at me aren't I clever". That said it's my 3rd variac/transformer build and (types whilst gripping the wooden desk with other hand) I think I've just about got it. Haven't blown a single fuse getting it to work this time!

Best of luck with your build.

Peace

Edited by Laphroaig

Thought I'd better update you on some of changes. I've been testing the control for a couple of days continuously and have noticed that the corner of the display on the ATC-800+ was getting quite hot. It was where I put the foam pads so I've got rid of them so air can circulate all round the ATC-800+ case.

gallery_45686_4251_159524.jpg

I also wanted to do something with the sensor, having it just flapping about wasn't the best solution as it might get snagged so I threaded the sensor lead through a length of flexible plastic tube. I tried air-line first but that was just a little too snug to feed the wire through, as it was I still had to "grease it up" with a little silicone spray so I didn't stretch the wire pulling it through the clear plastic pipe. It's actually better suited, it's a bit stiffer than the air-line so it hangs out in front instead of drooping. I ran the clear plastic pipe all the way from the sensor bulb at the end all the way back through the cable gland into the case and round to the ATC-800+. For added protection I cut a length of 25mm diameter plastic pipe and threaded the clear pipe through it before securing it in place with cable ties. Had allot of spare sensor cable at that point so I trimmed it off, split it and stripped off the insulation, very tricky job, the leads are exceptionally fine braided copper wire and break easily if you stretch the cable trying to get the insulation off. Practice a bit at the spare end first .... like I didn't!

gallery_45686_4251_151270.jpg

The wires going to the back strip of contacts had a haircut and got tidied up with bootlace ferules. Important to ensure good and tidy connections as I was going to be assembling it up a ladder with nothing to rest it on except my shoulder when connecting up the wires from the lid.

gallery_45686_4251_46638.jpg

All done! It's been running a day or so and it's great. So much better than anything else I've made so far. It's the ATC-800+ that makes it, oh and the cover isn't getting hot any more either! I think I may be revisiting my other projects and upgrading the room thermostats to these.

Peace

edit: Just had an idea, going to thread some stiff coat hanger type wire down the plastic pipe outside the box to the cable gland so I will be able to bend the sensor to whatever position I want.

Edited by Laphroaig
  • Like 6

Lap

i just picked up a 2A variac recently & its got an earth connector on the contact arm unlike the 1A & 0.75A.

so far i've got all the bits except a controller, saw some unbranded ones from globalcom for £27 & a atc for £32,

im also thinking of putting a stc1000 or a tc10 in a box with a spare 0.75A :wink:

found an updated pdf which mentions the earth connector :wink:

gallery_36349_3574_73986.jpg

when i opened the 300x22x12.5 box, i discovered that it has 2 plastic clip in door hinges to fit to the box :yahoo:

that'll make it a bit more easier :wink:

gallery_36349_3574_17032.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi laph thanks for this brillant thread im going to make one of these now iv seen this thread but iv got a bit of a problem already been to maplins today to get relay as in firt post but the relay iv got is the same one as Joint hogger in his thread will it still be wired to same numbers help me out please thanks

Hi laph thanks for this brillant thread im going to make one of these now iv seen this thread but iv got a bit of a problem already been to maplins today to get relay as in firt post but the relay iv got is the same one as Joint hogger in his thread will it still be wired to same numbers help me out please thanks

both the relays do the same job, its just a different design.

Erm, dunno without looking at it, there's usually a circuit diagram on the side, without seeing that I can't help very much. Sorry :(.

Okay it's the same essentially.

The relay is switched by current between 13 and 14 so these should be connected to the ATC-800 and the neutral supply.

Either set of contacts can be used. I'll use the ones on the left for this example.

9 is the common terminal that takes the live current to the fan.

1 is the normally closed terminal, this is the live input from the variac

5 is the normally open contact, this is connected directly to the live supply.

Hope that helps.

Peace

thanks alot laph thats a great help hopefuly ill be wiring up at week end just wating for atc-800 ill let you no how it goes and thanks to you to joint hogger i seen your threads first but i thought laphs best suits me iv got a single sms single with passive intake and a fan heater on a room stat its my first go i cant belive how much them sms make your fan humm my advice to anyone thinking of getting one is dont, build one these thanks again to you both

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_10052_5383_14285.jpg[/url][/img]] thanks for this guide i done me own cheers Laphroaig used the stc10000 did have the atc 800 but when me lights come on it went

a bit fuckedup few degrees up and down but this 1s sorted fuck give up with this shit fucked up pic thing

Edited by brinxmatty