Offical IWS Thread

rollitup

sounds good does these "root blockers" nice one on that.. can any one explain to me how they manage to remove the bottom inch-2 of water?

Just thought ide let you know that you can get the root blockers direct from IWS for free!!

Just send an email to sarah@iwssystems.co.uk

Tell her you would like to trial the filters and you'll let them know how well they worked, got 12 on there way to me free gratis..

• Like 1

sounds good does these "root blockers" nice one on that.. can any one explain to me how they manage to remove the bottom inch-2 of water?

hey guys....

I THINK its because they come out of the hole in the bucket and rest on the floor of the bucket as oppose to sitting 2" above ground level... :)

cindie

;)

Nice info Nath.... free is MUCH better than £3.00 each PLUS postage

Edited by cindie-99
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I've just upgraded from 2 single bubblers to a 6 pot IWS DWC but I'm having problems setting it up.

It all seems set up correctly so I did a test run, the first thing I realised is you must have the brain level with your pots to stop it overfilling!

I then set it to drain but for some reason, two pots didn't drain at all.A

Any ideas why that could be?

Hi Guys,

I've just upgraded from 2 single bubblers to a 6 pot IWS DWC but I'm having problems setting it up.

It all seems set up correctly so I did a test run, the first thing I realised is you must have the brain level with your pots to stop it overfilling!

I then set it to drain but for some reason, two pots didn't drain at all.A

i'm no expert but surely there is something causing a blockage if the rest of the pots drain, also have you watched the video on iws homepage on how to setup your system, its very informative. i find a visual aid is far superior to the instruction you receive with it.

hey guys....

I THINK its because they come out of the hole in the bucket and rest on the floor of the bucket as oppose to sitting 2" above ground level... :)

cindie

;)

Nice info Nath.... free is MUCH better than £3.00 each PLUS postage

totally agree cindie, and when the roots are well established what little water that gets left now after a flood the roots suck it up like they have a straw hehe.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I then set it to drain but for some reason, two pots didn't drain at all.

i'm no expert but surely there is something causing a blockage if the rest of the pots drain, also have you watched the video on iws homepage on how to setup your system, its very informative. i find a visual aid is far superior to the instruction you receive with it.

Cheers pal, I had another look today, sorted all the pipework out so it's flat and smooth and blew through them all to make sure they were clear.

I then re-cut them so there was less slack, which stops them coiling up.

All seemed fine, it drained well so I set it to flood..... nothing, not a drop.

The only thing I could think of was that where the brain is outside the tent the pipes need to rise off the ground to go through the intake vent. It's only a few inches but because it works on gravity, the water can't get over the hill.

I then put the brain on a pot and it started flooding immediately, at a good speed.

That solved the problem but then I had to put pots under all the other pots so it's at the same level or they would overfill!

Anyway, it seems to be working better now but some pots fill and drain slower than the others. Some don't fully drain either.

I'm not sure why it's still being a pain but I just cant rely on it being reliable yet.... any ideas?

All the water levels in IWS are effectively gravity fed, it is essential that the whole system is on the same level and that the connecting pipes follow the level at the base of the brain with no coils or kinks

• Like 1

All the water levels in IWS are effectively gravity fed, it is essential that the whole system is on the same level and that the connecting pipes follow the level at the base of the brain with no coils or kinks

So how are you supposed to use them in tents without putting the brain in the tent as well?

Edited by Road_Runner

I had to cut holes in the tent at ground level. If your neg pressure is good enough it shouldn't cause a problem i didn't even need to make the holes airtight.

I had to cut holes in the tent at ground level. If your neg pressure is good enough it shouldn't cause a problem i didn't even need to make the holes airtight.

Good idea, may have to do that.

I've put them all on upside down pots for now and it works better, just not as well as I'd hoped.

I'll see how it's working tonight, if not good I'll have to try that.... got more than enough neg pressureso should be fine

Update for anyone that's interested...

When I checked this evening, all pots had drained properly so all looks good.

I've set it off on it's first run with plants in it so hopefully it'll be OK.

I wasn't sure how often to get it to drain/fill - the book says 3 times a day but I didn't see the point in that?

I've just set it to drain back to the res for an hr a day, so I can measure/adjust PH & EC and then let it put it out again... will that be OK?

Update for anyone that's interested...

When I checked this evening, all pots had drained properly so all looks good.

I've set it off on it's first run with plants in it so hopefully it'll be OK.

I wasn't sure how often to get it to drain/fill - the book says 3 times a day but I didn't see the point in that?

I've just set it to drain back to the res for an hr a day, so I can measure/adjust PH & EC and then let it put it out again... will that be OK?

i flood every three hours, so 8 times a day, they love it. plants are a picture of health at all times, just be careful how high your flooding when they are recently transplanted into the system,

to high and your blocks will be constantly soaking, which will mean your young plants stem will rot at the bottom and die.

• Like 1