Offical IWS Thread

rollitup

has anyone modified the its? ive got a iws pro and am going to modify it

30 litre bucket with the net basket and build my own 30 %  slope wooden tray  for better drainage

also going to modify the brain by replacing it with the 30 litre bucket and pre drill all the holes again, shouldn't be to  hard. hopefully it work it should with the bucket and the brain the same size. that way i will have some big trees 

• 2 years later...

Due to long flood and drain times (25 mins each way) i'm thinking of upgrading my IWS brain, pipework and fittings to the IWS Pro version as it has 25mm diameter pipe compared to the standard 13mm.

Has anyone ever done this and did it reduce your flood and drain times ?

I think the brain has 2 return pumps in it instead of 1 in the standard version, so was thinking this should help drain the flood back to the reservoir faster. 

I have had a couple air locks in my brains return pump, woke this morning to find the system had flooded but not drained so plant roots were sat in full flood water for about 1,5 hours, last time was 2.5 hours, not sure if its connected but shortly after this my plants started developing thousands of tiny brown spots on the leaves and going yellow in week 3 to 4, weeks 6 now roots are brownish and some plants feel a little bit slimy on the bottom inch of roots mass.  

I'm not sure if my long flood and drain times or the air lock incidents are the cause of the tiny brown spots and leaf yellowing but something is fooking my grows up and its not the enviroment.

Has anyone converted to 25mm diameter pipework, did it help generally ?

Not sure what else i can do, i get to week 3 or 4 then it goes tits up and yield is reduced.

Grow shop says get out of the 90's and fook this IWS flood and drain off and get the Alien Pro, i guess they would make a good few quid from this so might be the reason for the advice !!, it is tempting to reduce numbers but longer veg time (i only veg for 1 week at present in the iws) and noise concerns from the Alien recirculating pump puts me off.

Any good advice or thoughts are much appreciated !!  

• 1 month later...

Yo people, looking at getting some of those IWS root blockers.. But are they for the 13mm regular IWS systems or the 25mm pro IWS systems? None of the product listings seem to say anything about it ?

@cannafella i've not searched for them much but i have heard them discussed in a thread here somewhere and the consensus is that they don't work, i believe they are for the 13mm only, i had the root growing in the feed pipes issue and long flood n drain times, so upgraded to the IWS pro recently, flood times are about 25% what they were and drain times about 50 % what they were, only time will tell if the roots start growing back down the feed pipes  !!  This time i also have the Copper discs in the bottom of the pots and it looks like that has slowed the roots getting into the base pot area !!

Let me know if you find them for the 25mm as i will give them a whirl, i guess google search, ask a a good grow shop and you could email Nutriculture the distributor for IWS and ask if these things are even made anymore.

Happy fishing :skin_up:

• Like 1