Prepping Your Patch.....

Bad Penny.

I think that the ones i found were different to yours bad penny. They had a sort of lining instead of just the mesh, pretty similar to the ones on acorn planting products called shelter guards. Im guessing that the light will still be able to penetrate through this material otherwise the plant inside would be a bit screwed? What sort of width is optimum? i dont think the ones i found we more than 6-7 inces wide will this be ok?

cheers,

matt101

You can see the diameter difference between the 6 inch and the ones I normally use matt,as Mr F said chicken mesh is a PITA as you have to pull the wire up,chop the plant at the base and the chicken-wire protector is enmeshed with the lower branches of the plant,mine the branches hit the side and grow up,or I trim the lower branches completely off early on in the season.

I went out with my brother in the early hours of the morning,he had been asked to clear some rabbits off an estate anyway,coming back home I decided to check one of my sites but discovered I had forgotten the padlock keys to the two perimeter gates so had to scale both fences,security is paramount,if its an effort for you to enter moreso for joe public on a ramble,he isnt going to climb a 12 foot and 7 foot fence,if your site is easy for you to access dont be surprised if its ripped,this games hard enough without random chancers stumbling upon your crop lol

Stops the bottom of my trousers getting mucky or catching on owt,never ever had a crop ripped once because I pay attention to the smallest detail,even if its bog socks :smoke:

To be honest though I would wear a pink tutu and satin ballet slippers if it meant I harvested a decent crop at the end of the year,looks are immaterial,performance is what matters :wink:

Wasn't having a dig [pun intended] cus I wear them too as me Timbers are oversized and flop about with normal socks even if I double up.

Keep up the good work BP :wink:

The real work hasnt even started yet,I am only growing 3 or 4 plants this year for the Pot for pennies thread,whatever else doesnt really matter as it wont be documented here,we dont need to show all our cards to finish the game :wink: Hardest part is always the ending,the prep is easy,virtually does itself.

Bleeding 'Eck BP! You got yer own special bit of land there then? Me and Firefly really need to get our arses in gear for next year!

Its just a few acres mate,no one is allowed in or visits for certain reasons,I changed the chains and padlocks several years ago as the old ones were rusty and looked untidy :wink:

Shit Bp,you are getting me mad fella,i am itching to get out there, but have to rest(doctors orders) me back decided to go funny on me last week,and i am now moving around at a snails pace..... :yep: really need to get going,missing getting out in the great outdoors....nice camo fella,great to see the early work your putting in.....peace yossman :yep:

The real work hasnt even started yet,I am only growing 3 or 4 plants this year for the Pot for pennies thread,whatever else doesnt really matter as it wont be documented here,we dont need to show all our cards to finish the game :wink: Hardest part is always the ending,the prep is easy,virtually does itself.

Yes good shout BP, I'll be only documenting 1 plant of each strain from seed to finish. I guess huge group shots can be quite incriminating and could attract unwanted attention .. :wink:

Its all about motivation Mungo,I started the prep for this year(2010)back in 2009,I didnt want to let the grass grow under my feet :rofl: I know what needs doing and whats at the end of it,thats whats giving me the impetus to crack on now,hope your backs ok Yoss?I done my collarbone and both ankles years ago in a bit of an accident,I still limp around like an old cripple sometimes in cold weather when my ankles get stiff :rofl: Large group shots are quite difficult Marcos if I am only growing 3 or 4 plants :readtherulesbuddy: Ever watched a magician?You only see what he wants the audience to see,you never glimpse what he is doing behind the scenes :wink:

Guest matt101

Thanks for the info bad penny. I think that with a bit of modification i can make the protectors wider which would allow more room for the plants. Hopefully with the extra shelter provided by the lining they should get a good start without being blown about by the wind.

I am wondering though if the loss of air movement due to the lining, will increase the chance of a fungal infection?

What are peoples views on leaving finger prints on items such as the protectors? Is this something to take into consideration when carrying out preparation? Or will finger prints degrade in the elements?

I really cant wait to get started with my grow, hopefully a bit of hard work and preparation should provide me with some quality bud come october.

mattc