Prepping Your Patch.....

Bad Penny.

Guest matt101

sounds like they could come in handy!. There were a lot stashed in the place im talking about, probably about 40-50. They weren't wrapped up or consealed that well either so they might just be dumped there. If they aren't moved in a few weeks i think ill grab a few for this years grow. If someone really valued them im sure they would have gone through a bit more trouble to hide them, rather than just whack them under a tree.

bad penny , do they allow good light penetration for young plants that aren't taller than the protectors?

matt101

Perfect light penetration mate,been using them for years,better than ready-made chicken-mesh ones,havent ever lost a plant in one,they work,light,portable,just whats needed really :)

Edited by Bad Penny.

Guest matt101

good stuff, ill probably grab a few in a couple weeks then. any info on how much manure i can add to my plots bad penny?

matt101

That pile in your pic is cow manure mate.

Chicken Manure Fertilizer – Chicken manure is known for its incredibly rich contents and is ideal when composted before applying to the lawn. Referred to as ‘hot’ manure, chicken manure can burn (and destroy) plants.

Cow Manure Fertilizer – Dairy cow manure is often favored over other types of fertilizer, as it is low in nutrients and can be applied in endless quantities with no detrimental side effects.

Horse Manure Fertilizer – Although horse manure is not as nutrient-rich as manure from chickens, it contains more nitrogen than cow manure fertilizer. Also known as a ‘hot’ manure, horse manure fertilizer should be composted before application.

Sheep Manure Fertilizer – Sheep manure is another ‘hot’ fertilizer that is fairly dry and incredibly rich in nutrients. Best when composted prior to application.

Rabbit Manure Fertilizer – Rabbit manure provides a great deal of nitrogen (even more than manure from poultry) and phosphorous, which is highly beneficial for fruits and flowers.

Guest matt101

Thanks very much bad penny, very useful info. Looks like my combo of chicken and cow manure should do nicely. Completely free as well, which makes it even better.

matt101

Anyone know where the best place to get those plant protectors from? Was going to make my own from chicken wire but they look far better.

I got mine from a mate in the forestry commission,but loads of companies do exactly the same model,check out Acorn planting products or similar firms.

Guest matt101

I think that the ones i found were different to yours bad penny. They had a sort of lining instead of just the mesh, pretty similar to the ones on acorn planting products called shelter guards. Im guessing that the light will still be able to penetrate through this material otherwise the plant inside would be a bit screwed? What sort of width is optimum? i dont think the ones i found we more than 6-7 inces wide will this be ok?

cheers,

matt101

Edited by matt101

Guest Stickybud73

Been down today to check on the clay site. Brought one of those soil ph probes. Bloody hell, 5, 5.5, the highest I got was a 6!! Clearly in need of lime, so I used the whole 3kg box, which also contained mg, and calcium. Maybe not enough, but I'll do some probing in a month. It stated 600gm/m2, and I have over 12m2.

This might explain the deep purple stems I got there last season.

This lime was in granules and says it works fast, if I go back in a month and it hasn't improved much [ph wise], should I use another 3kg, or is it all too late for lime mid Feb??

Rotted composts have a PH as near to neutral as dammit is to swearing.F*ck,you got lots of shiny bits of kit,that PH probe is gucci gear :) What particle size is/was the lime,the smaller the size the faster the action.For best results lime 4-6 months before planting,but to be honest you can adjust and add lime anytime before you pop your plants in so long as they dont come into direct contact with the lime.

Guest Stickybud73

...worth it's weight in green gold, that. Gucci? It's a flimsy meter on an old knitting needle! ;) what does that make my water pump? Saltan of Brunei?. This lime was pellets, not powder. I'll have a dig around for powdery lime to top up.

Probe was inspired by wakenbaker, and cost £6 Cheaper than 20 poorly seedlings...

I may not dig at all, just top dress.

F**king 6 quid ;) Your loaded,if I spent that on a bit of growing kit I would expect giant beanstalks with golden geese at the end of the season :D