lighting hint

the d.o.c

how much light is reccomended for a grow space of 9ft wide 7ft tall 4ft deep? and is it 50w a square foot or 75 ive read threads and both are mentioned

thanks

Edited by beard

thanks guys any ideas what sort of yeild id be looking at i know it depends on strain and other things but in general what sort of yeild will i be looking at from this size grow space?

thanks

Edited by beard

• 2 months later...

how much light is reccomended for a grow space of 9ft wide 7ft tall 4ft deep? and is it 50w a square foot or 75 ive read threads and both are mentioned

thanks

I would consider 75 watts/sq.ft. as overkill! 50 watts/sq.ft. is a good target - some get by with less.

Three 600 watt HID's (one a foot and a half from each end, and one in the middle) would give you excellent coverage for your "longish" shaped grow; as well as put you right at 50 watts/sq.ft. If you're a first time grower don't be overly worried about yield, as your technique improves so will your yield!!!

Edited by T.H.Cammo

I would consider 75 watts/sq.ft. as overkill! 50 watts/sq.ft. is a good target - some get by with less.

why is it overkill? more light = more bud!! i have 84 watts per sq foot

T1

• 2 weeks later...

I have 100 :cheers:

I don't have any option in my space.

I reckon it may actually make most difference at the seedling phase - it seems that getting things off to a good start sets them up for life.

post-14131-1175150261_thumb.jpg

18 days from sowing the seed.

250 watts, 2 square feet.

I'm sure that the law of diminishing returns cuts in early though - you should see what Owderb gets from about 40 watts PSF :wassnnme:.

Doods

i have two options at the moment, a 250 MH in a small (40cmx120cmx140cm) box and and a 400 HPS in a (55x150x220) "drobe". What would you do with both empty? Veg under MH, or HPS? I cant get both in the one box but i dont know if the different spectrum is better or the extra watts. What d'yall think :rofl:

WM

why is it overkill? more light = more bud!! i have 84 watts per sq foot

T1

I have 37w/sqft and hit 20oz plus every time but i wouldnt be confident of hitting 45oz if i upped it to 74w :doh:

Sometimes space limits what you can possibly do so yes sometimes you can go overkill :D

Its like me saying if i put 3x600's in there i'd get roughly 70oz,if you see what i mean :rofl:

Owd

Edited by Owderb

• 4 weeks later...
I have 37w/sqft and hit 20oz plus every time but i wouldnt be confident of hitting 45oz if i upped it to 74w :yinyang:

Sometimes space limits what you can possibly do so yes sometimes you can go overkill :smoke:

Its like me saying if i put 3x600's in there i'd get roughly 70oz,if you see what i mean :yinyang:

Owd

hi I have a 1.2x1.2x2.0 tent at the moment I've got 5 plants at 15 days 12/12 with 400watt ballast 100mm extraction fan its my first grow and was wondering if i should upgrade lighting and fan system next grow to maximize my space and any ideas how many plants my space will take :smoke:

• 1 month later...

go down to your local bus depot after lights out and steal a few bus/truck batteries, they take about 5 minutes each to get out, quite heavy though so make sure you have a vehicle, then hook em up and run the lights off those...

we were doing it at my previous residence but had to move too soon to find out how long the batteries would have lasted, guessing not long but then again bus batteries are big fuckers. (about 3/4 times the size of a car battery)

• 1 month later...

:guitar:

Stealing electricity is one of the best and most efficient ways to.............

...get busted :guitar:

well said amigo,it's a sure way,to go the wrong way. cushty

• 1 month later...
Guest wrigglyjesster
Flouros okay for small plants in veg and rooting cuttings.....

HPS/MH you need for growi(u)ng anything really worth smoking.....

just want to add, me and a couple of associates have used single 200w envirolites for flowering and got very respectable yields :yinyang:

• 8 months later...
hang 1000w and 600w HID's 24-36 inches from canopy

peace :wink:

Just to add an american perspective:

I have two 600W HPS on lumatek digital ballasts. Each one covers one 3' by 6' tray. Each light is on a linear rail (runs the length of each tray down the center). My lamps are about 12 inches from the canopy, eight inches from canopy to edge of reflector (hydrofarms). This does really well but I need to water regularly (just installed irrigation and the new brain for my room arrives tomorrow) and look out for the run away kamikaze sativas. They like to play chicken with the moving light.

Attached image shows my height. Plants to the right are lower (shorter) but get spill light from tray to right so overall get a lot of light.

post-31962-1209629919_thumb.jpg