lighting hint

the d.o.c

I'll try for some pics. Damn camera eats batteries, but it's payday soon. Don't expect anything brilliant, it's just 7 kitchen bins connected to a big air pump. :smoke:

• 1 month later...

Confused,

Just read the post re hight of the lamp, does this also go for the seedlings?

All my seedlings have about 4 inches before any real vegitation, and they look nothing like all the pics you see on other sites.

With my grow room only having a small headspace, I was looking to produce small bushy plants, any tips on how I could manage this.

Fly high

Phroggy

• 4 weeks later...

:ouch: slightly off this topic although electricity related:

my mate has a little water heater thing in his kitchen that stays on when he turns his electric off...!!! he has no idea where the supply comes from.... when he told me this my immediate though was probably the same as yours...: run the lights off it! - thing is how would he splice the wire or what ever when he cant actually turn off the supply to the thing....

???

has he tried pulling the company fuse (the big bugger before the meter and fuse board)?

There arnt any street lamps on the side of his house by any chance?

High!

So if I have a 5 foot by 2 foot by 8.5 foot(height) growing space I am going to need 2 400 watt HPS and 2 175 watt MH?!?!?!? I want to use some combination of MH and HPS. Currently I have 1 400w HPS and 1 400w MH in this area. The heat from the MH is a potential issue, ranging from 76 to 84 F.

I currently own:

1 switchable 400 watt ballast running as HPS

1 400 watt MH

1 175 watt MH

I only plan on growing to 3 foot maximum

suggestions are welcome thanks for any help

has he tried pulling the company fuse (the big bugger before the meter and fuse board)?

There arnt any street lamps on the side of his house by any chance?

:yinyang: someone else said that about the fuse.. a friendly electrician is visiting him nxt week so ill let u know what happens... it aint from a lampost though!

:headpain:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

;), that whole storyline makes me larf! :bush: i even watched a few episodes!! gettin busted is everyone's biggest worry... a good friend of mine got the dreaded knock (well, fone call from polis who had already arrested his g/f) he claimed stupidity, no kidding... there were only 4 of em and 3 weeks into veg.. i did feel bad as i gave him the cuttings... but.. result: a CAUTION, being *somethinged* made null or whatever after one year, and only in derbyshire! :yinyang:

on a relevant note: after a successful outdoor grow this yr (low yield but gooood stuff!) i'm thinkin of movin indoors, so... a) where's the best place to get lights from? :) B) i've seen a grow in super limited space, utilising the idea of uplighting as well as OH lights... this makes sense to me and would theoretically make max use of the space... what does anyone reckon?

• 5 months later...

what about enviros? does the same 'losing half intensity per 6inches" rule still apply? Ive got my plants about 6 inches away from my enviro. Only small plants mind, 3 inches tall.

absolutely, its simple physics! - you can get your plants incredibly close to an enviro - an inch or two is fine! :headpain:

It isn't actually the six inch rule, its properly called the inverse square law - as light spreads in all directions, if you double the difference between the light and the plant, the plant receives a quarter of the light!

ie if you have 50w sq ft at 5 feet, at ten feet, it would be 12.5wsq ft

• 5 months later...

if I could find the rest of my damn batteries I could photograph my grow..

5 weeks into flower with 2-400 watt MH.

got a great deal on the lights 2 with bulbs, brand new for $50.(in U.S. by the way)

probably change 1 to an HPS conversion soon. But my point is.. I'm a first timer mind you, but these buds look fantastic.

Maybe I'll just do the next grow with an added HPS to see the difference for myself.

I so badly want an opinion on these... aaaargh! :wassnnme:

Edited by JakeBagoodi

if using an hps, you have to leave a fairly hefty distance between the bulb and plants - I was reading an advert for a company that does "winged" reflectors, and the light guards that go underneath the bulbs - having looked at their ray drawings, they do indeed look like a damned good idea - you can effectively halve the "airgap" using this system ,which should make light distribution a lot more even, and you've increased the amount of light hitting the plants a hell of a lot...............the question is, have users of these lights found that their claims are born out in practice? :yep:

I know the company you're referring to when you mention (hold on let me just adjust-a me seat lol ) the ray drawings, I don't know if the claims they make on their reflectors are true, but what I do know as I use one, is that the heat shields that they advocate to use with them certainly do :yinyang:

:rolleyes: