lighting hint

the d.o.c

light intensity virtually doubles every 6 inches closer a HID is to the canopy of bud

light adheres to the "inverse square rule" ,i.e it diminishes to the square of the distance ,which can mean you may be losing a lot of your lights potential ,

always make sure your lights are at the right height to provide maximum lumens but not too close incase of heat and not to far away because it will be less efficient

here is a rough rule of thumb for lights

hang 1000w and 600w HID's 24-36 inches from canopy

hang 400w HID's 18-24 inches from canopy

and smaller HID's to 6-12 inches away

peace :oldtoker:

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

nice, tip. just to add to it; the best practical lighting combination for flowering is generally considered to be a 2:1 ratio of hps:mh.

the mh helps make he buds moe dense and solid than with solely hps lighting.

• 3 weeks later...

I place an oscillating fan pointed towards each of  my lamps(2 lamps 2 fans and this cools the lamp and shade considerably allowing me to get even lower to my plants without burn..............Orinoco :oldtoker:

PUTTING FANS IN THERE TO COOL THE LIGHTS IS GOOD BUT LOWERING THE LIGHTS  WILL ALSO CUTT LIGHT SPREAD TO THE REST OF THE SUROUNDING AREA AS WELL TAKE THIS INN MIND IF YOU HAVE A FEW PLANTS IN THE ROOM

TOKEIT

• Like 1

:oldtoker:

Yes D.o.c., absolutely correct.

Also it helps to rotate the plants under the light, both on their own axis and around the growing area. This way every plant gets equal quantities of light throughout its Flowering period.

It is unreal how many grows are "stationary", with plants huddled around the edges and struggling.

With rotation I am happy at 35 watts per sq.ft, well below the suggested 50! I have not noticed any yield deficit however.

Use that light!!!

:mad:

• 4 months later...

B) I've heard that it's better to use fluorescent rather than incandescent because of it's light giving properties(plants grow better with fluorescent). Is it true? and if so, what about halogen? Where does it fall?

Halogen falls down the pan....absolutely useless for plant growing purposes.......

Flouros okay for small plants in veg and rooting cuttings.....

HPS/MH you need for growiung anything really worth smoking.....

Mono....x

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, halogen do not have the right light spectrum for growing.

A friend of mine places a piece of wood along the length of both walls and then a piece of wood accross the growing area - this is where he places his lights. This means that during the day he just slides the piece of wood along the wall #(the two pieces of wood along the wall act as rails) and it acts as a cheap light mover..I will be doing this and will make a thread of it - after checking that it has not already been done.

• 9 months later...

I've gone vertical. Got addicted to the "Vertical Limits" forum at CW. Then latched on to krusty in the hydro forum before his treatment of trolls made him unwelcome. (Site is down at present.)

Trouble is, Ddocs systems are for commercial growers not scared of high plant numbers, and krustys' freedom buckets need a noisy compressor and 10 Kw of lighting. A bit too rich for me, I'm just a personal guy.

I've removed the reflector, (400w HPS) and suspended the bulb from the ceiling. Now the plants form a circle around it. Room for maybe 12, but I was cloning for the old space and have only 7.

They're growing better, temps are lower, and some fan leaves at the back are bolt upright catching light. Looks cute. :smoke: Up to now, (3 weeks of flower,) they've set their own limits of how close they should get to the bulb. Looks like a large green bowl.

I'm not the most attentive of gowers, and it'll take a few crops to sort a new easy-grow regime for them, but looks good so far.

can anyone help me out here...my m8 seems to think that using an energy efficiency light bulb(as used by rizlaman and cuban pete-both have sexy plants on the go lol )

aren't very good, i however, would like to purchase some as they seem to have worked before for others and they seem very cheap for a first timer with only a couple of plants.

cheers :wassnnme:

Sod your mate rudeboy :wassnnme:

You've seen the results that are possible with compact flouros.

give it a go and when you harvest your first bud don't let him smoke none. (only kidding)

Even if you only get a small amount of airbud on the first attempt it's better than no bud at all.

Once you've got a couple of grows under your belt you could either up the lighting or learn about and try scrog (SCreen Of Green) growing to increase your yeild.

Go for it m8

npk

Edited by NPK

strider id love to see some photos of that man, dont think theres any verticle grow pics here yet...? ;)

Sod your mate rudeboy ;)

You've seen the results that are possible with compact flouros.

give it a go and when you harvest your first bud don't let him smoke none. (only kidding)

Even if you only get a small amount of airbud on the first attempt it's better than no bud at all.

Once you've got a couple of grows under your belt you could either up the lighting or learn about and try scrog (SCreen Of Green) growing to increase your yeild.

Go for it m8

npk

sweet m8, my m8 isnt too happy wiv ur post, altho im more convinced an he now reckosn we'll get less green! honestly some people ey ;) hehe

well im tryin it an im growin teh stuff round my place so he cant really do much about it!!!

at the moment its on the window cil

anyways, best shoot, got a philosophy exam 2mrw morning an im dreading it :)

cheers

• Like 1