lighting hint

the d.o.c

presumably you can get the plants closer too! - this is one of the things that put me right off hps for cupboard growing - apart from the heat, it's the fact they rob you of a lot of headroom when its limited! lol

I can grow plants alot closer with the shield in place. I estimate with me 250 that I can get them within 8-10cm (3"-4").

Don't flame me Vlad I know me setup ain't as it should be, but with running the intake just below the shield, it allows me to maximise me headroom :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm just sticking with the enviro until it gets real chilly outside, (alright I'll admit that I do run the HPS now and then) then I'll wack 'em both on and still maintain that 75F ish.

lol

-no worries mate! - it just looks like a very intelligent way of "equalising" the light as far as possible.......may even work with enviros! (except you wouldn't need the heat shield) - I've often looked at conventional reflectors, and reckoned they were pretty lacking, but the diagrams produced by the "wings" company further confirmed it - the craftiest bit as far as I'm concerned is the "widows peak" in the centre - all the other reflectors will just chuck all the light in the centre straight back into the bulb. where it'll do no good at all............... lol

One thing I must say is the way the heat shield's are advertised you would almost think that it extracted heat from the GR too lol

The way they work is by pushing the heat that is created by the lamp back towards the reflector, and also out to the sides.

In my GR it just has the effect of keeping the heat at the very top (oh when will he get a fecking extractor :) ) of the cupboard and away from the plants. If I didn't use it then the heat would reach alot further down and therefore make the environment a lot warmer and dryer. Without it I was struggling to maintain humidity above 25%

As the intake runs below this it sort of creates a two tier system, with the hot air at the top and then the cooler CO2 laden air running below this but at the top of the canopy lol

Like I said, it ain't exactly ideal, and I wouldn't advocate anyone growing like this, but hey, it works for me...

Imagine the results I could achieve with an extraction fan :rolleyes:

:yinyang:

• 4 weeks later...

Do u get any maunfacturers performance figures when you buy these lights?

specifically envirolights - average temperature of the bulb when running 18/6?

Edited by Mush

• 3 months later...

wow thats all clever stuff, generally speaking you should be able to hold your hand level with the canopy under the light for about a minute with out it burning ;) if it does raise the light etc etc ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
nice, tip. just to add to it; the best practical lighting combination for flowering is generally considered to be a 2:1 ratio of hps:mh.

the mh helps make he buds moe dense and solid than with solely hps lighting.

4869[/snapback]

Hey i have a question concerning lighting if i used 3 compact fluorescents do u htink id be ok for my grow or should i stick with HPS

, but what I do know as I use one, is that the heat shields that they advocate to use with them certainly do :yep i use a heat shield also . am impressed! no more lanky seedlings :smug:

• 5 months later...

There are of course those air cooled lamps which you connect to a RVK 125. I would imagine that you could get your lamp closer than usual using one and therefore increase it's effiency. However, there not cheap.

Has any one used one? Do you recommend them?

Yes, halogen do not have the right light spectrum for growing.

A friend of mine places a piece of wood along the length of both walls and then a piece of wood accross the growing area - this is where he places his lights.  This means that during the day he just slides the piece of wood along the wall #(the two pieces of wood along the wall act as rails)  and it acts as a cheap light mover..I will be doing this and will make a thread of it - after checking that it has not already been done.

28168[/snapback]

Been using the same systen for a while now myself post-7514-1124149864.jpg

works a treat :stoned::soap:

• 3 weeks later...

i primarily use fullspec hps ands suppliment it with strategically placeds flos.

fullspec hps saves messing around (and avoiding the expence)

im thinking about supplementing my 400w HPS flowering room wit some blue enviros. :ohmygod: ive read somewhere that a bit of blue light make the buds well compact. can any1 vouch for this? lol

dont really want to spend £50 on two 125w enviros if it wont do much ;)

peace B)