Vermicompost- Worm Farm

BudAbbott

Beginner's luck !!

I guess everyone goes through trial and error with this but I seem to be on the right track given the contents of my bin. Very happy so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, I'm running a little experiment to try and gauge whether using worm castings, worm tea and leachate really do make a difference to plant growth and health.

I popped 4 auto seeds at the start of April, 2 Cream Mandarine from Sweet Seeds and 2 Northern Light Blue from Dutch Passion. One of each has been grown with all of the above and the other with BioBizz organics.

I'm seeing a big difference in every aspect, colour, size, general health and bud development...

Cream Mandarine without anything to do with worms...

large.591ed0754b53d_2017-05-1912_51_13.CMwithout.jpg

Cream Mandarine with added worm castings and fed with leachate(10% diluted in water) and prepared worm tea...large.591ed07792d37_2017-05-1912_52_30.CMwith.jpg

Northern Light Blue without...

large.591ed079ece17_2017-05-1912_53_30.NLBwithout.jpg

Northern Light Blue with...

large.591ed07c602b7_2017-05-1912_54_04.NLBwith.jpg

These have a few weeks left and I'll provide more updates as I go along; I'll also weigh both once harvested. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bobnudd said:

Come on the worms! Decent worm bin = half the battle done in my book. 

It's a small outlay for a lifetime of free goodness and it's become a very addictive hobby of mine. 

I'm pretty sure more growers will follow and once they do they won't look back.

• Like 4

Aye there's enough growers on here now getting great results and top healthy looking plants using some form of organics.  Whether that's full nontill or using some of the techniques of.  But yeah ewc is the key for me for ensuring life in them there pots. 

Doesn't even need to be a bin, a healthy compost heap is going to be teaming. Just easier to control the inputs In a bin. 

If if you can get some alfalfa straw chuck that in. Go mental for it. Not too much mind as it gets hot real quick :yep: 

@bobnudd

Where do you get the alfalfa from ? I've been looking around for it at pet stores etc and the only place I could find it, it came as compressed bricks (for horses).

• Like 1

I got a big bag 25kg from horse merchant for £12. They do various ones including with molasses which is top draw in the compost. 

The lid came off my bin somehow in the rain. About 1/3 of my worms drowned in the sump, another 1/3 had escaped and what was left was piled on top of the flooded bedding in a wriggling mass.

Crap luck, but i emptied out the bin and removed all old food and sodden bedding, added fresh bedding and mixed in some old soil to dry out the bin and to encourage them to settle back in despite the trauma.

Fingers crossed things will return to normal and they will start multiplying again soon. Feel so guilty for my little red ones, RIP.

Lid is now more securely fitted, onwards and upwards!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd provide an update as these are now at about day 60.

Quite some difference now between those given worm additives and those that weren't...

On the left, the Cream Mandarine Auto fed just BioBizz organic nutes. On the right the one where I used worm castings mixed with BioBizz Lightmix and fed worm tea & leachate.

large.592daab1f1a41_2017-05-2911_02_56.CMcompare.jpg

Same for the Northern Light Blue Autos...

large.592daba52e0ca_2017-05-2911_05_10.NLCompare.jpg

These last 2 shots are of the top of the Northern Light Blues...

large.592dabb51868b_2017-05-2911_06_17.NLWithout.jpglarge.592dabb29af0f_2017-05-2911_06_11.NLWith.jpg

I read an article somewhere where a similar experiment resulted in 57% larger flowers. Not canna, can't remember what.

My wormery is now going great, plenty of leachate & castings in the sump which I've now emptied twice. My first pound of castings :yep:

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

just thought id say ..nows the time to scrape up some worm castings from lawns ..lovely rich crumbly doings ..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, MacGanja said:

Just having a look into this... Has any one seen this guy? 

that's John Kholer that guy knows his way around a organic hoe... serious note. his compost mix recipe is the fucking shit

• 9 months later...
On 25/03/2018 at 11:19 PM, MacGanja said:

Just having a look into this... Has any one seen this guy? 

All his videos are great.. Love his enthusiasm.. great worm bin design on this one too, but eggloo seems to have the rights to it and are selling it for silly money..

this video link is same guy doing  a side by side with two types of casting.. found the follow up for how the winning castings are made but can’t see it now.. remember pre-composting the worm food being an important factor.

Edited by Era
Forgot link