Vermicompost- Worm Farm

BudAbbott

great thread, i ve had my worm bins going for about a year, i run all my soil amendments through them as well as all my blended kitchen scraps & they love it. top notch vermi

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After decades of being aware of vermicomposting I've finally taken the plunge and ordered me a Wormcity 100 4 tray setup.

I'm living down at Lat 37N and luckily found the one and only worm farm in the region where I can source the red wrigglers. Their wormeries cost an arm and a leg for some reason - €170 for a 35x35x45cm model FFS!! My Wormcity was £60 + £32 shipping so almost half the price and much bigger.

Some great info on this thread so a big thanks to all who have contributed. I can't wait to get started, will report on my adventures once it's up and running.

• Like 1

I've got an ultra basic worm farm, it's basically a container with holes drilled in the bottom, it's full of material and worms with cardboard on the top. Had it about a year and now it's rammed with worms, how can I get some casts out of it? Shall I just seive some of it? 

3 hours ago, VikingDee said:

I've got an ultra basic worm farm, it's basically a container with holes drilled in the bottom, it's full of material and worms with cardboard on the top. Had it about a year and now it's rammed with worms, how can I get some casts out of it? Shall I just seive some of it? 

If you want them right away I think the short answer is yes sieve away

@Jimboo prob in a month now chief. Reckon I need build or buy something proper. I'm surprised I've done so well with a plastic tub to be fair, put 10+ worms from Yorkshire worms in there last year and now it's packed with em 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, VikingDee said:

@Jimboo prob in a month now chief. Reckon I need build or buy something proper. I'm surprised I've done so well with a plastic tub to be fair, put 10+ worms from Yorkshire worms in there last year and now it's packed with em 

@VikingDee In that case mate start feeding In one corner and let them migrate to there and take your castings from the opposite corner saves picking the majority of them out of your castings

Edited by Jimboo
  • Like 4

Pick up 500 worms on Monday and I've been thinking of what to feed them...

I have access to an abundance of Carob pods so ground a bag full in the blender and the smell is divine, sweet chocolate !

After reading this I've come to the conclusion they're gonna go apeshit for it.... http://meravista.com/en/blogentry/inside-algarve-carob-pod

Hello... 'The dark brown or black pods are edible too and are ground into flour that is rich in sucrose as well as containing Magnesium, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium Manganese, Barium, Copper, Nickel and the vitamins A, B, B2, B3, and D.'

Coincidentally someone said to me if I was looking for good black earth I should look beneath a Carob tree and sure enough he was right.

Edited by Peregrine
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I can't remember if I posted here, or not?  I have a Worm City plastic layer stack type and it's been used constantly for about 4-5 years.  It is chock full of worms and recycled compost.

I try and think about what I put in the waste / recycling bin, as I often find that you can process things a little to be more worm friendly.  I have a triffid Clematis Montana, and even those trimmings (a lot) go into the worms, but I use secateurs to chop down first.  The sap is potentially a little harsh/toxic,  but no problems so far.  The bits take a long time to process, but I'm never in a rush :)

Today I have a large bag full of cardboard box segments, which is ready to feed to worms.  This was from 2 large boxes of really thick and strong cardboard.  Instead of throwing in the recycling bin as normal, I thought I would cut it up into mostly small, and a few large pieces using scissors (tough to do, but I'll use stanley next time).  Worms love the unprinted/unglued/untaped segments, especially on the top layer of the city, so I put all the smaller pieces in and cover over with the large pieces (almost covering the whole area).  I will process as much as i can this way.

I like the meditative state of processing things to feed to worms, to help nature turn it all into beautiful worm shit, to feed to my plants (chillies mostly) and in turn feed me :-)

4 minutes ago, worzel said:

Today I have a large bag full of cardboard box segments, which is ready to feed to worms.  This was from 2 large boxes of really thick and strong cardboard.  Instead of throwing in the recycling bin as normal, I thought I would cut it up into mostly small, and a few large pieces using scissors (tough to do, but I'll use stanley next time).  Worms love the unprinted/unglued/untaped segments, especially on the top layer of the city, so I put all the smaller pieces in and cover over with the large pieces (almost covering the whole area).  I will process as much as i can this way.

Mine love corrugated cardboard mate,I read somewhere on more than one occasion that it's the glue that binds it together that really attracts them.I soak mine beforehand to soften it for them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

Mine love corrugated cardboard mate,I read somewhere on more than one occasion that it's the glue that binds it together that really attracts them.I soak mine beforehand to soften it for them

Cheers Jimbo - I mean the parts on the flaps that have a lot of glue on, the stuff holding the layers together is fine.  I also soak mine but forgot to mention  that :)

• 1 month later...

Two and a half months after starting my worm bin it's about ready for a new tray.

There seems to have been a population explosion in there as wherever I move some of the contents I find a mass of wriggling red wrigglers. Nice!

I make two types of food for them, one with fruit(mangoes, bananas, aloe vera flesh, strawberries, apples, papaya and whatever else I have to hand) & one of mixed vegetables, all blended in a food processor then frozen. They seem to prefer the vegetable mix. Now and again I slice a banana lengthwise, let it gather a few hairs then throw it in the bin. They go ape shit for it.

The sump of the Worm City is a great idea with the steps that allow the worms to get back up to their food source. There are always about 20-30 of them in the sump and I haven't yet found any that have died in there so it does work. I plan to use the contents of the sump(just the castings, not the liquid) in the bottom of the next tray so they have something familiar to move up into.

Interesting hobby !

large.591029f948ba9_2017-05-0810_16_05.WormBin.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Two and a half months after starting my worm bin it's about ready for a new tray.

There seems to have been a population explosion in there as wherever I move some of the contents I find a mass of wriggling red wrigglers. Nice!

I make two types of food for them, one with fruit(mangoes, bananas, aloe vera flesh, strawberries, apples, papaya and whatever else I have to hand) & one of mixed vegetables, all blended in a food processor then frozen. They seem to prefer the vegetable mix. Now and again I slice a banana lengthwise, let it gather a few hairs then throw it in the bin. They go ape shit for it.

The sump of the Worm City is a great idea with the steps that allow the worms to get back up to their food source. There are always about 20-30 of them in the sump and I haven't yet found any that have died in there so it does work. I plan to use the contents of the sump(just the castings, not the liquid) in the bottom of the next tray so they have something familiar to move up into.

Interesting hobby !

nice job mate ,What type of worms?

@Jimboo 

Red wrigglers. They're breeding like hell, I'm finding lots of eggs and there are loads of little 'uns every time I open the bin. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

@Jimboo 

Red wrigglers. They're breeding like hell, I'm finding lots of eggs and there are loads of little 'uns every time I open the bin. 

They look like really fine castings mate, even when I was in full production my nightcrawler castings were never that fine

• Like 1