All aboard the atheist bus

ninorc

scraglor, what up dude. not bad.

booj; religion has done fuck all to help humanity and the world. in fact i will stipulate that religion has subverted the will of humanity. tax the churches. i spit on the churches. romancing the stone. great movie for romantics. duh.

who uses sentient. not me said the little red hen.

gen :spliff:

booj you could be right. science may yet find the key to eternal life. and we may all die in oblivion do you hope in science. what good has science brought in the past. just quiet questions.

just brain storming not arguing. respect.

gen :spliff:

Hi All.

"what good has science brought in the past" ??? HHHmmmmm, how about, Quantum mechanics, for starters, one of, if not THE most succesfull theories ever thought out by us, whithout which we could not be talking now, Its directly responsible for the transistor and semiconductors, no transistor, NO computer.

Just a quicky.

Man I love to debate, don't you??????

Ta Ta.

Martian

Dodge them lightning bolts McPot. Personally i'll be investing in a faraday cage :rofl:

Hi All.

Hi Cambium, I'm saving my cash M8, I'll forgo the Faraday Cage, as I'm personaly 100% that theres no such thing as a "God" and I've many a time danced around inviting him to smite me in twian, if he so wishes, and I'm still dancing (on occasion).

BTW its amazing how many poeple, while stating they do not believe in God, will not Actually "tempt fate" and "do the dance", My own Dad, while a died in the wool Athiest, would always stop short of doing it.

OR is it just me thats a bit NUTS???????? Thats the kind of discusion wede sometimes have. :wink: :wink: :wink: Do that dance!!!!!

See Yawl.

Martian.

Hi All.

Wow Cambium, is that you again, with the ace piccies????

Thats a Fab series of timelapse, did it say if it was North, or South?

Toodle Ooo

Martian.

Hi All.

HHHmmm nicely!!!

looks like it was taken from a ship, in a bay, as that veiw must extend around the horizon, for a full 360 degrees.

YEHHH M8, thats a shit hot picture.

And it certainly puts paid to the flat earth theory EH?

Ta Ta.

Martian

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God".

Ron Heather, from Southampton, Hampshire, responded with "shock" and "horror" at the message and walked out of his shift on Saturday in protest.

First Bus said it would do everything in its power to ensure Mr Heather does not have to drive the buses.

Buses across Britain started displaying atheist messages in an advertising campaign launched earlier this month.

Mr Heather told BBC Radio Solent: "I was just about to board and there it was staring me in the face, my first reaction was shock horror.

"I felt that I could not drive that bus, I told my managers and they said they haven't got another one and I thought I better go home, so I did.

"I think it was the starkness of this advert which implied there was no God."

When he returned to work on Monday he was called into a meeting with managers and agreed to go back to work with the promise he would only have to drive the buses if there were no others available.

First Bus said in a statement: "As a company we understand Mr Heather's views regarding the atheist bus advert and we are doing what we can to accommodate his request not to drive the buses concerned."

It added: "As an organisation we don't endorse any of the products or sentiments advertised on our buses.

"The content of this advert has been approved by the Advertising Standards Agency and therefore it is capable of being posted on static sites or anywhere else."

The advertising campaign is backed by the British Humanist Association and prominent atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins.

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, said: "I have difficulty understanding why people with particular religious beliefs find the expression of a different sort of beliefs to be offensive.

"I can't understand why some people seem to have a different attitude when it comes to atheists."

Pressure group Christian Voice has questioned the campaign's effectiveness but the Methodist Church said it would be a "good thing if it gets people to engage with the deepest questions of life" and suggested it showed there was a "continued interest in God".

The advertisements run on 200 bendy buses in London and 600 vehicles in England, Scotland and Wales.

Source (BBC)

It's fine to put up billboards proclaiming the definite existence of God (and Jesus), but it's awful to have a bus displaying almost the opposite view. :wink:

There was an interesting piece on Radio 4 the other day - apparently some group has complained to the Advertising Standards Authority, on the grounds that the advert makes "unsubstantiated claims", or some such infraction of advertising rules.

They used to have to adjudicate on the political adverts that go up at election time, and decide whether the unemployment figures that got bandied around were accurate, that sort of thing. Then they decided that it was just far too much hassle and said they'd stick to testing washing powders and cat food.

Now the ASA must make a decision regarding the existence/non-existence of god! :punk:

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God".

Ron Heather, from Southampton, Hampshire, responded with "shock" and "horror" at the message and walked out of his shift on Saturday in protest.

First Bus said it would do everything in its power to ensure Mr Heather does not have to drive the buses.

Buses across Britain started displaying atheist messages in an advertising campaign launched earlier this month.

Mr Heather told BBC Radio Solent: "I was just about to board and there it was staring me in the face, my first reaction was shock horror.

"I felt that I could not drive that bus, I told my managers and they said they haven't got another one and I thought I better go home, so I did.

"I think it was the starkness of this advert which implied there was no God."

When he returned to work on Monday he was called into a meeting with managers and agreed to go back to work with the promise he would only have to drive the buses if there were no others available.

First Bus said in a statement: "As a company we understand Mr Heather's views regarding the atheist bus advert and we are doing what we can to accommodate his request not to drive the buses concerned."

It added: "As an organisation we don't endorse any of the products or sentiments advertised on our buses.

"The content of this advert has been approved by the Advertising Standards Agency and therefore it is capable of being posted on static sites or anywhere else."

The advertising campaign is backed by the British Humanist Association and prominent atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins.

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, said: "I have difficulty understanding why people with particular religious beliefs find the expression of a different sort of beliefs to be offensive.

"I can't understand why some people seem to have a different attitude when it comes to atheists."

Pressure group Christian Voice has questioned the campaign's effectiveness but the Methodist Church said it would be a "good thing if it gets people to engage with the deepest questions of life" and suggested it showed there was a "continued interest in God".

The advertisements run on 200 bendy buses in London and 600 vehicles in England, Scotland and Wales.

Source (BBC)

It's fine to put up billboards proclaiming the definite existence of God (and Jesus), but it's awful to have a bus displaying almost the opposite view. lol

Hi All.

I wonder if I, as a devout athiest, told my bus co bos, that I WOULDN'T drive a bus with a religious message on the side, would get the same "understanding" response, or would they tell me to "Drive that bus out ya lazy bastard, or your down the fuckin road"!!!!

Also, the guy won't drive the bus on friday, for fear of being a hypocrite, (assuming thats his reason), yet when he gets back on monday, its fine to be one, "if all the other busses are unavailable" HHHHMMMMmmm, now the guy becomes flexible.

And its fine to state absolutely there is a God/s, to state there is none "probably" is bang out of order.

What a world we live in!!!!!

See Ya.

Martian.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Krypt

Religion , My opinion, its just a business, just like climate change and global warming, without it you have millions of people without jobs.

Blimey , thats opening a few cans of worms in a single post

Religion , My opinion, its just a business, just like climate change and global warming, without it you have millions of people without jobs.

It's all the same god, dave

I'm not aware of any Christian belief which promotes a worship of Allah or pasta aliens?

im sorry but your wrong the king james bible had the word allah used as the word god like 8 times give me a month to read through the bible and i will find the scriputre allah is aribic for GOD

Edited by stanky
  • Like 1

Does anybody think that human consciousness was awakened by psychoactive substances?

I think (and again, just an opinion so no call for anyone to take umbrage) that there's a fairly strong case for religious consciousness having been awakened by psychoactive substances - I'm certain that was I a 'primitive' human thousands of years ago who'd just experienced what I posted above I'd probably have invented some deity to explain it all to myself on the comedown. That's ultimately what I think Gods are, a method by which people can explain the unexplainable, because if there's one thing people always NEED to know it's why ? The Gods of weather, volcanoes, the sea, crops, the seasons etc no longer exist in the mind of most 'modern' humans because science has explained how they all work, without the need for Gods. I am fairly sure that at some point science will also explain how the universe was created (without the need for a God) too.

There is an excellent book on that subject: "Food of the Gods" by Terrence McKenna. He proposes the possibility that when the proto-Humans began spreading across Africa they would have been following herds of the wild ancestors of cattle, and would have found stropharia cubensis mushrooms growing on their dung. They would have been investigated as a possible food resource and found to be extremely useful to hunter-gatherers. At low doses psilocybin increases visual acuity, making finding food easier. At higher doses, used at feasts for instance, the stripping away of inhibitions would cement the group as a whole as the children conceived in orgiastic celebrations would in a sense be fathered by the whole tribe. At the highest doses you get the full-on mystical experience, the awareness of our connectedness and the seeds of a codified basis for altruism and cooperation.