All aboard the atheist bus

ninorc

Does anybody think that human consciousness was awakened by psychoactive substances?

I think (and again, just an opinion so no call for anyone to take umbrage) that there's a fairly strong case for religious consciousness having been awakened by psychoactive substances - I'm certain that was I a 'primitive' human thousands of years ago who'd just experienced what I posted above I'd probably have invented some deity to explain it all to myself on the comedown. That's ultimately what I think Gods are, a method by which people can explain the unexplainable, because if there's one thing people always NEED to know it's why ? The Gods of weather, volcanoes, the sea, crops, the seasons etc no longer exist in the mind of most 'modern' humans because science has explained how they all work, without the need for Gods. I am fairly sure that at some point science will also explain how the universe was created (without the need for a God) too.

There is an excellent book on that subject: "Food of the Gods" by Terrence McKenna. He proposes the possibility that when the proto-Humans began spreading across Africa they would have been following herds of the wild ancestors of cattle, and would have found stropharia cubensis mushrooms growing on their dung. They would have been investigated as a possible food resource and found to be extremely useful to hunter-gatherers. At low doses psilocybin increases visual acuity, making finding food easier. At higher doses, used at feasts for instance, the stripping away of inhibitions would cement the group as a whole as the children conceived in orgiastic celebrations would in a sense be fathered by the whole tribe. At the highest doses you get the full-on mystical experience, the awareness of our connectedness and the seeds of a codified basis for altruism and cooperation.

A very interesting book indeed, I read it last year after having it reccomended on here, def worth a read.

• 14 years later...

The whole earth is god with trees and water lol

I believe the quantum mathematics starburst God's lol

Edited by Danny killerZ