Growing In A DR60?

Indica Monkey

Hello there m2jlv, is that plant in the reflector burning at all? If not then just leave it as it is, the closer to the lamp the better. I would raise the other one up a bit though, it seems to be way too far from your lamp. Those enviro's have next to no penetration so you need them right on top of your plants, I would scrog your next grow if you're using the same lighting setup.

That white thing around your filter is a pre-filter, it's placed there to stop dust and other crap from blocking the holes in the filter. That's the reason I have mine setup the way it is, I have seen many setup's with the filter outside of the grow area and no problems with smell so leave it as it is if you're happy with it's performance.

If I were you I'd try and bend the Mazar over a little to get it out of the reflector and minimize the damage, it'll be a real shame to spend months growing the things if they get burned when harvest is so close.

You're right about the chicken wire being part of the SCROG (Screen Of Green), what I'm trying to do is keep the plants nice and short by training them under the mesh. The idea is to get a small single cola to grow through each of the holes in the screen, that way they should all be at a similar height so it's easier to get the lamp as close as possible to all the flowers the plant will throw out. Hopefully this means I will get maximum performance from the small HPS and maximum yield from the plant, we'll see?! I've just had to give the plants a good trim and get rid of quite a few fan leaves as they were shading all the branches below the screen, the plants look pretty bare now but hopefully the extra light available will help the lower branches make it to the screen.

I'm doing OK for temps, the tent stays at a constant 24C. I'm lucky to have my tent down in the cellar where temps are low all day long, no matter what the temperature outside the house is. I also have my extractor hooked upto a thermostat and speed controller which allows me to dictate the temperature inside the tent, I may knock it up a couple of degrees when the flowers start to appear.

If I were you I would have gone for the HPS, it doesn't draw that much more power than your CFL's and I don't really think it would be that much hotter if the ballast was situated outside of the tent. It's maybe something to think about before your winter grow, with it being winter you'll find it much easier to control temps if there's no central heating on in the room with the tent.

Good luck with the rest of the grow, just keep reading and your plants will thank you for it.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm half way through week eight of flowering my Blue Cheese and I have to say I am not happy with the yield, this is partly to do with me over vegging four plants in such a small space and partly to do with the penetration of my lamp (or the lack of). I can see that I'm going to need to get a new grow on almost as soon as I've shut this one down which wasn't that much of an issue when I began this grow but now it is as Mrs Monkey is not happy about me growing in the house, she shits a brick every time she see a fluorescent jacket through the window (I've had "the knock" before). I will get some pics up later on this evening when the lights have come on so you can see all the lovely popcorn buds I'm going to have in a few weeks.

For my next grow I am currently trying to decide if I will be going with a 250w or a 400w lamp, I am hoping that with an increase in wattage I will hopefully have quite a bit more bud come harvest time thus meaning I can shut down for a few months. If I decide to go with the 400w lamp I already have tucked away in the corner of my growroom I will buy a cooltube and extra 125mm RVK/Ruck fan to cool the lamp with, so this means the lamp will have it's own dedicated cooling fan and the tent will have it's own dedicated venting/scrubbing fan. I am also toying with the idea of a 250w lamp without a cooltube or any extra venting in a nice reflector with a good spread to it, any suggestions for this?

I've written this post in the hope that some of you DR60 growers will help me out here with opinions on the best lighting setup, I have no doubt whatsoever that I can cool either a 250w or 400w lamp without any problems but would the 400w be a waste of light or is this only the case if you can't cool one properly?

...budshots to follow lol

Im waiting for a DR60...should reach on monday.....so very intrested in seein what the pro's and con's are....also im going to be growin Master Kush

Hmm a 400w light you say, tbh i'm barely cooling my 250w enough, it sits around 28C, thats with a powerful 5" out and 4" in. Seems to be working well for my scrog though.

Hmm a 400w light you say, tbh i'm barely cooling my 250w enough, it sits around 28C, thats with a powerful 5" out and 4" in. Seems to be working well for my scrog though.

Well I'm pretty confident I could cool a 400, atm I have a 150w hps with a 20w CFL and a 20w tube fluoro in there with a 2 foot tube heater to get the temps up to spec. My vent fan is turned right down and never clicks onto full speed, my grow is in the cellar with an open window and it's only going to get cooler down there as the winter gets closer. I'm not set on the 400 yet it's just a possibility atm, just wanting some opinions really.

Any chance of seeing some pics of your scrog?

I got the full kit with mine..so hopeing i dont need to buy anything else really

What kit have you got coming with the tent? I would imagine you will need to collect a few more things before your setup is complete, if it is ever really complete lol

How are you planning on growing your Master Kush in there? I can give you a few tips on how not do things if you let us know what you're planning.

I got the full kit with mine..so hopeing i dont need to buy anything else really

What kit have you got coming with the tent? I would imagine you will need to collect a few more things before your setup is complete, if it is ever really complete :wassnnme:

How are you planning on growing your Master Kush in there? I can give you a few tips on how not do things if you let us know what you're planning.

Im getting this .....full kit..so thisis what I will have...I know i need a few more things like small pots etc...Im really not sure how to start this project....im thinking to germinate seeds in water for 2 day's then add to small pots...need to read all the stuff that comes really and see what is missing.

What you thinking so far....I no im not that good

That link doesn't want to work for me ajthedon so I'm afraid I can't double check your list for you, has it arrived yet? As for your germination plan I leave my seeds in a glass of water for 24-36 hours, I try and make it 24 but sometimes things get in the way and there's nothing you can do about it. Once I have dropped the seeds in the glass I add a little water to my compost filled starter pots and place them somewhere dark at room temp along with the seeds. After the soak I place them in three inch pots filled with BioBizz light mix, I know a lot of people on this site don't use the lightmix as they see it as a waste of money and just dilute their final compost with perlite. When the seeds come out of the water and go a few mm below the surface of the compost I wrap the pots up in cling film or a sandwich bag or something else airtight and place them in the growspace at your preferred temp mine is 22 - 23 for germinating. Now just keep your eye on them for the seedling breaking the surface of the compost, when this happens remove the clingfilm or whatever else you have the pots in and get the lamp over them.

If you have any more questions just ask and I'll see what I can do for you.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get the photo's I promised you as lots of family issues have got in the way and it doesn't look like I'll be able to get down there for more than a minute or two just to water them for the next few days either.

On a brighter note my magnifier arrived in the post today so I can see whether it's time to chop the first of my plants, and I also managed to find some nice cheap clean butane for a BHO extraction from my popcorn that I have coming from the first plant.

Be back with the budshots ASAP.

post-33160-1222797642_thumb.jpg

Well the first of the Blue Cheese came down last night as the trichomes had mostly gone milky with a few of them starting to turn amber (or possibly just the light from the HPS getting in the way) and although the quality appears to be there there's not much else to be honest with you, the other three look like they will go another couple of week easily. I hope the others look a bit better after having a few days with the new space that's just appeared in the tent as they also look pretty light.

I'm still undecided what to do for the next grow, If I should just stick with the 150w and grow a single plant as I think this would help with the bud formation and bud/leaf ratio. The other option is to swap the 150w out for a 250w or 400w HPS, hopefully swapping the lamp out would make the tent more economical to run because I'm also having to run a dehumidifier and tube heater (will be installing a second tube heater for the next grow or if it's just a single plant grow relocating the existing tube heater inside the tent). The more I think about this the more I think I have just been running a very uneconomical setup, at this moment in time I'm thinking I might give the 150w lamp another go with just a single plant come flowering time and the heater inside the tent, hopefully the heater wont need to be switched on so often and the dehumidifier wont need to be on 24/7 again?! Any opinions on this? I know people are reading as the "read count" is going up but nobody is talking?!

Anyway, here's the pics.

post-33160-1223121718_thumb.jpg

Here are the few buds that were worth leaving intact along with all the trim and popcorn/airbud which I will be making some BHO from, wish me luck with that as it's something I've never done before but have high hopes for...

post-33160-1223122453_thumb.jpg

post-33160-1223122470_thumb.jpg

...and this is the final shot of the trim on top of the tent, hopefully this is enough to make a decent amount of BHO with, we'll see.

post-33160-1223122888_thumb.jpg