Variacs

Rastajedi

Mains goes into the variac - mains comes out of the variac - then to the fan. Simple. :yahoo:

:yinyang:

Yes it would be simple if i knew which wires went where on the variac..

Thanks, I will. They say at maplins it should arrive in a couple of days so I will post a pic as soon as it does. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

post-29914-1210867374_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867395_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867401_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867408_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867413_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867418_thumb.jpg

Okay! I've eventually got one. I got it from farnell. It looks like a nice one and its in a case..

If anyone can tell me which wires to put where please? There are 4 numbered connections.

I'm not sure those things in picture 3 are..

There is two round recess's like in picture 6 - I assume I have to drill through these to get the wires through..?

All I want to do is put a plug on one end and a socket on the other..!! I'm not interested in making it more complicated with thermostats or whatever.. :unsure:

Edited by flizzy

those recess's should be knocked out yes (i take it there's two, one in one out), you'll also need a cable gland for each hole to stop the cable being damaged, which is obviously dangerous.

connect live to one and neutral to two, also connect the neutral of your fan to the cable that goes to two (it doesn't have to be at the variac terminal, as long as the wires are connected somewhere. live to your fan comes off terminal 3. you should be able to get some terminal crimps to fit the variac terminals, but i personally would solder the cables to the variac terminals

Edited by scraglor

• 1 month later...
Guest djdavid4u
Here's one of my posts from another related thread, here.:

The place the description and price quotes are from is here. [www.dealec.co.uk]

Hmm - the WAC-1 does look to be a good choice - nice price, too. :)
WAC1 Single Sweep Fan Controller - 21852AW

Provides on/off and five speed control. Can be connected at the time of installation to provide downward air movement or upward air movement. Surface Mounted. 2 year guarantee (UK)

Order Online for:£19.23 (Excluding VAT at 17.5%)

The WAC-6 looks to be an interesting one, too, for those who have more than one fan that they want to control:

WAC6 Sweep Fan Controller - 21853AW

Provides on/off and variable speed control for up to six fans of any size. Can be connected at the time of installation to provide downward air movement or upward air movement. 'Fan Running' indicator. Surface Mounted. 2 year guarantee (UK)

Order Online for:£29.48 (Excluding VAT at 17.5%)

:yep:

:)

are they silent running none humming Variacs?

Guest djdavid4u

wicked just to double check is it the fan "rvk" that would be silent and none humming

sorry to sound dumb

thanks

dj:

both the controller and fan wont produce any humming. you'll have noise o the moving air through the fan though

• 1 month later...

where did you get your enclosure flizzy mate

cheers

post-29914-1210867374_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867395_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867401_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867408_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867413_thumb.jpgpost-29914-1210867418_thumb.jpg

Okay! I've eventually got one. I got it from farnell. It looks like a nice one and its in a case..

If anyone can tell me which wires to put where please? There are 4 numbered connections.

I'm not sure those things in picture 3 are..

There is two round recess's like in picture 6 - I assume I have to drill through these to get the wires through..?

All I want to do is put a plug on one end and a socket on the other..!! I'm not interested in making it more complicated with thermostats or whatever.. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

nice, are they gonna do an analogue thermostat andprogram to control it also? would make a nice package, can see some people struggling trying to program the pid though!

someone on here had a three phase fan with a cap wired across, i actually posted telling him to contact you, can't for the life of me remember which thread, i've seen a few myself though, i'll let you know

• 4 weeks later...

nice work rastajedi & scraglor , and everyone in this post , i have built a one variac one thermostat controller , when i have found a good speed/voltage for cooling (high speed) i will solder a wire onto the coil at the appropriate place .to save me £££ on second variac , this thread is priceless thanks again