Variacs

Rastajedi

Whey hey variacs finally showed up, there alot heftier than i thought they would be for a 1 amp rating, looks like someting that belongs in frankensteins lab, gonna need a strong enclosure for these beastly things, Any sparkys wanna confirm the wiring ?

post-17230-1197990701_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1197990714_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

edit: not sure to be honest, it can be set up for different output scales. i.e. you could have 0-240v or 20-270volts (depending on the specs) do you have a make n model no. or some literature that came with them?

Edited by scraglor

what are the wires connected to two and four? 3 is obviously your output sliding scale, i'd say connect live and neutral between 1 and 5 for 0-240v output and live and neutral between 2 and 5 for 0 - 270v output, but those wires are throwing me a bit

Edited by scraglor
  • Like 1

ah ok, i see, they're your connections?

connect live into 1 and neutral into 5 will give you 0 - 240v output, connect live into 2 and neutral into 5 will give you 0 - 270v output

edit, the other taps are for various input voltages

but anyway, just go live into 1 and neutral to 5 output is 3

you'll get a scale of 0 - 240v if you connect live and neutral between 4 and two like you have, but you're putting full mains voltage across two few windings so you'll put two much current through the tranny, also move the nob too far one way and you'll get more than 240v

EDIT: here's the pdf:

http://www.claudelyons.co.uk/tech.pdf

Edited by scraglor
  • Like 1

take a look down the bottom of the page and it shows all the different configurations the transformers can be used for, seems 6 is used in conjunction with another tranny for small range increasing/decreasing of mains voltage, and the various other terminals are for all different connection configurations for fine tuning voltages and bla bla bla, quite a handy bit of kit you got there, 100squids + when new!

As i understand it, according to the pdf, 1 is neutral in 5 is live in and 3 is the variable live output ?

I,ll get the soldering iron out tomorrow , mount em up and do a few tests with the old fluke meter, Rj :rofl:

Edited by Rastajedi

Had a chance today to nip out and get an enclosure, thermostat, cable glands today all off the shelf at bnq, cost around £32, so far that puts the build cost at £99 , still some £50 cheaper than the systemair reu unit which doesnt come with a stat, i already have some terminal block kicking around in one of my many scrap boxes along with a few ties, nuts n bolts clips etc

post-17230-1198371562_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

First thing to do was make a template to match the mounting holes for the variacs and then apply the markings on the lid box, i just used apiece of clear rigid waste plastic for this, cut a hole and placed over the center splindle of the variac so that it lies flat on the mounting holes i've ringed in red which ones i mean, then applied the markings to the lid and drilled out, as you can guess they didnt line up exactly bang on, but by placing the variac and marking with a pen where they needed a slightly wider hole and then correcting with a gentle router like action with the drill bit, i also drilled a couple of holes for cable fixings with some old pyro clips, next i soldered the wires to the variacs and bolted them in place on the lid, threading and marking the cables through the pyro clips, so basically its 2x common negs, 2 x common lives and 2x variable returns, got alittle bit too late tonight to do it all in one go will finish it off tommorrow,Rj ;)

post-17230-1198374107_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198374117_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198374137_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198374164_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198374227_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198375282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rastajedi
  • Like 1

ok , now for the base, which consists of a four way plug outlet for the fans to connect to , three cable glands , one for mains in, the other for the thermostat, and the other for the 4way, i decided to put an inline 1amp fuse between the mains and the variacs to stop any overload, all the neutrals come together under 1 terminal, as does the earth from mains in and the 4way going to the fans, the live mains in connects to the 2 live in's on the variacs, the 2 variable outlets from each of the variacs connect to terminals 1 and 3 on the thermostat and terminal 2 is your live output to the fans..easy Rj

post-17230-1198438298_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198438324_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198438336_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198438353_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198438369_thumb.jpg

post-17230-1198438407_thumb.jpg

Cheers Scribble, tbh i could have made it cheaper by using just one variac and having it switch to 240v on max , i would have also been able to use a small housing which would have saved a few quid, but since i cant be there 24 hrs it takes alot of the stress away knowing that the temps should be quite stable at lights on and off, i reckon it would cost around the £55 mark for a single variac controller, more money could be saved if the fans where hardwired in, but by having the 4 way it means you dont have to unscrew the thing if you want to add more fans or move to another grow room,

Rj :)

post-17230-1198441674_thumb.jpg

Thanks Whazzup, and a big thank you to you Scraglor for inspiring me with your knowledge and advice...orders are now being taken...:rofl: Rj :rofl:

Guest The Sheriff

Spot on Rastajedi see you have been a busy boy , i have strange visions of you though with that Santa hat on working away feverishly , like a little elf , wait a min it don't look like a vision no more , top job mate .

Hey Sheriff, so you've been havin fantasies about me in my hat :soap: , i have mate, been busy that is, i've been lucky to get the house to myself over the last few days, what with mrs Rj n the kids floatin around, i would have liked to use a more stylish housin than the borin grey thing from bnq, but with christmas and a whole new grow room to sort its been a case of get it done and dusted, thanks for the kind words buddy , Rj :wassnnme: