Change Your Rvk Extractor Bearings

bigbudburge

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what size is needed for a 100mm RVK? Seen a couple of people ask in the thread, already but i don't think they got a reply. Looks like it's a standard skate bearing for a 150 mm fan but i can't see a size for a 100mm. Cheers

Guest perfect1000k

A good idea if your fan is old and well used. :wink:

As a point; I used to sell fans to electricians and the best fans I could source for the price were Vent Axia fans - they have the best bearings apparently according to the garb.

i am an electrician and all our local councils will let us fix are vent axia fans

I've found quality fans like systemair ones have good bearings in and last 5 years plus with no issues were as cheap Copts have poor quality bearings in and are worth replacing.

• 3 weeks later...

After killing one of the new Bearing i got the old one's out new ones in but I don't think i got the new bearings in right.

When i just have the clip on it works fine not a sound but when i put clip on with the 2 sort of washer things I'm getting a sort of odd sound :headpain:

So any input at all guys on best way to remove and re fit new bearings will help a lot

hiya mate ,,either you haven't pushed it in far enough or the bearings are the wrong size ... you don't want to be pushing them in the middle of the bearing either.I found it is best to use a socket out of a socket/wrench set that is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bearing an use that to knock them ,,just tapping the socket lightly with a hammer. if they are defo the right size bearings and you still can't get them to fit properly ..you could get two washers ,,just slightly smaller than the bearing ..put them on each side oh the housing an put a bolt through an tighten up to bring the bearing together ..hope this help mate bbb

Nice one m8 i got them in now I just can't work out why theres a odd sound from them unless there just crap bearing's there the right size 100% i may look at buying some ABEC or Swiss chrome as the one's I bought are no name cheap oh job's.

But on a side note the fan now on about 40% speed and its nice and cool /worm with the old Bearings it was super hot

Some of the best bearings I've ever used came from a company called RC Screwz.

I'm sure you could find size to suit and would highly recommend them. I used them in my 2Kw RC heli ( T-Rex 500, 6S ) and they lasted and performed much better than other shielded bearings.

My fan is 6 months old and years off a bearing change but I will be sure to get them from the above mentioned.

Like i said at the start of the thread ...you should really be replacing the bearing with quality ones.honest guys ..spend the few quid extra an get bearing's that are up to industry standard for this type of application.

pulled this off wiki about abec bearings.

The ABEC scale is an industry accepted standard for the tolerances of a ball bearing. It was developed by the Annular Bearing Engineering Committee (ABEC) of the American Bearing Manufacturers Association (ABMA). There are five classes from largest to smallest tolerances: 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9. The higher ABEC classes provide better precision, efficiency,[citation needed] and greater speed capabilities, but do not necessarily make the components spin faster.[1] The ABEC rating does not specify many other critical factors, such as smoothness of the rolling contact surfaces, ball precision or quality/type of steel used.

The bearing material is not specified in the ABEC grades. Bearings not conforming to at least ABEC 1 can not be classified as precision bearings as their tolerances are too loose.

The scale is designed to allow a user to make an informed decision about the type of bearing they are purchasing. High rated bearings are intended for precision applications like aircraft instruments or surgical equipment. Lower grades are intended for the vast majority of applications such as vehicles, mechanical hobbies, skates, skateboards, fishing reels and industrial machinery. High ABEC rated bearings allow optimal performance of critical applications requiring very high RPM and smooth operation.

Actual Changes In Run-out Between Different ABEC Grades

There are a number of factors covered by the ABEC grades. One is the eccentricity (roundness) of the track in the inner ring. The figures given below is the maximum eccentricity allowable.

ABEC 1: 0.0075mm (0.000295")

ABEC 3: 0.0050mm (0.000197")

ABEC 5: 0.0035mm (0.000138")

ABEC 7: 0.0025mm (0.000098")

ABEC 9: 0.0012mm (0.000047")

Edited by bigbudburge

• 2 months later...

now unscrew the screws around the perimeter of the fan

Hi everyone,

Top tip bigbudburge. :yep:

My RVK has never been quite the same since connecting it to a very dusty Phat filter (since replaced) which spewed loads of carbon dust into the fan and presumably into the bearings. I have taken the fan into two halves and cleaned what I could but didn't know how to get at the bearings. Well chuffed to find out the RVKs take such easy to find bearings.

https://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=157250

Can any of you tell me what that white cylindrical piece (with the wire and the green tape) attached to the fan is?

I have the same fan, it has the same grey plastic bracket sticking out. I always wondered what it was for. But my fan has nothing attached to that bracket.

Please don't guess if you don't know, I’m sure someone will come along who knows.

Thank you.

:smokin: Ganja•Ninja

Edited by Ganja•Ninja

Yo ganja ninja ...That's a capasitor to help with the initial torque required to start the fan, they tend to be on the more powerfull versions of the size of your fan. :)

Cheers BigBudBurge,

I was worried something was missing from my fan. Mine is the lower power version, so that all makes sense. Must be some hefty motors on those higher power RVKs if they need a capacitor to give 'em an extra kick start.

:smokin: Ganja•Ninja