Change Your Rvk Extractor Bearings

bigbudburge

Hi guys i've just changed the bearings in my rvk fan with abec 5 bearings, they are same ones as skate board wheel bearings

it's made the fan almost silent all you can hear is the wooosh of air going through it

how easy is it to change these bearings? havent set up my fan yet and since im growing in my bedroom, would be nice to have a bit less sound..

but maybe the bearings you took out are for long term constant use? :angry:

Hi there,

Good one with stripping the motor, could you tell me how you done this, do you have any pics? What size RVK do you have?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers

SN

took about 25 mins to change the bearings , the bearings from the rvk 150 are 608zz's and if i remember from skating that they were in the cheap skates and in the next price range was abec 1 and then abec 3 n abec 5 ,7 and abec 9 being the dogs bollox,

all you do is

..remove the screws from the rim of the fan.

..pull the 2 halfs of the fan apart

..through the end of the opening on the motor side, remove the 4 screws that hold the motor.

..on the back of the motor is a metal cover,remove that with long nosed pliers

..remove the circlip and spring washers

..push the spindle through the first bearing

..remove bearing off the motor cover and the bearing on the spindle and replace with abec 5 ,7,9

..put back together in reverse order

• Like 1

A good idea if your fan is old and well used. :wink:

As a point; I used to sell fans to electricians and the best fans I could source for the price were Vent Axia fans - they have the best bearings apparently according to the garb.

what... so i've gotta climb into the loft and disconnect all that ducting and take it back apart just 2 take some pics. :wink:

honest guys it is so easy i was blizted wen i did it

what... so i've gotta climb into the loft and disconnect all that ducting and take it back apart just 2 take some pics.

That'd be great, cheers lol

Nah, jokin', but do you know if they are the same size for 250's? Or if not, would you happen to know what size I would need? Just looking on fleabay and they are £3. Cheap as chips lol

Edit..Well, 3 bags of chips lol

Edited by Ali_Bongo

This is a great idea, I reckon, as I think that a lot of well-worn, and second-hand bought RVK-type fans could benefit greatly from having their bearings replaced, especially if one took care to use high-quality replacements, from looking at similar situations with bike/skate hubs etc.

lol

• 2 months later...

hi guys , as i was replacing a m8's bearings in his rvk fan, i took a few shots .the micro scooter was from argos , but i would recomend getting quality 1's from ebay search (abec 5), as my bearings are allot quieter.

post-14677-1183402557_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigbudburge

the proper tool for the job is a pair of sirclip pliers but i used a flat bladed screwdriver,putting my finger over the sirclip to stop it pinging off !!!!! :yinyang:

post-14677-1183403643_thumb.jpg