Paradise seeds selling hermie prone seeds and actually putting it in the description!! wtf!

dan6

Intersex is a thing in more than 99% of cannabis. Male & female only referring to expression not sex chromosomes like in animal's like us humans. In my opinion which as changed over the years as I have learned more on the whole chromosome evaluation is this. All cannabis as the possiblity to Hermaphrodite weather it's sterile or not like cheese it still can hermi. Chem is another known to hermi but can be self sterile so safe grown on its own but not with other strains. Would I grown chem 91 knowing this yes. Another strain that I recently grow that hermied similar to what paradise seeds described in house genetics platinum OG kush breath. Only I didn't get warning of this from inhouse. Luckily I spotted the hermi's early on the lower arms removed them & found 0 seeds. Would I grown it again? Well yes I did & the police rust got it a week before harvest & not a single hermi spotted after removing the bottoms.

As for the full males in fem seeds. This does happen because as I have said all cannabis as the potential to Hermaphrodite because sex is determined by hormones in cannabis. You see the sex chromosomes are the result of mutation. Cannabis when stressed causes a slowing of cell division which causes less protein's ,ect which continues till you see less ethylene & you get a later hermi expression. Now this process is speeded. This excell's in a large % of it's offspring because the weaker gene is passed in the male flower at the time it's developed. This is were the Fem males are different. The Fem male as a none functioning mutation not a slowed down one. These are usually the result of inbreeding in my experience & for the best part self sterile. I seen on other sites people raving on about GM self sterile seed's being the next big thing. This is how their made and the reason their going to be big is their aneuploid from inbreeding. This makes them very similar to breeding triploid's & in theory producing heather plants because of the extra DNA available. I have heard people say fem male plants breed female seed's. In my experience with a fair few fem males over the years this isn't the case. Not once as these male's breed fem seed's. Self sterile yes but fem no.

A cursory stroll through the popular strains that people grow here reveals many known hermie strains. I've got 3 blueberries going; thai x purple thai. Thai is where many of  the confectionary flavours seem to come from.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NezA said:

It's horses for courses, but anecdotally from what I see posted in various places intersex tendancies are a huge source of frustration for a great many Growers. Kudos to paradise for being open and upfront with the information.

I should have said that in this instance with Paradise, I wouldn't even bother my arse. Hermies and shit weed lol they're just in damage control here as there breeding stock is fucked due to decades of mismanagement. If they had maintained complex cannabinoid profiles, then I would work with the hermaphrodism........to a point.

14 hours ago, NezA said:

If it seems to me that financial gain is the main or only motive at play I'm far less likely to be tolerant of such things.

As above, my post wasnt really in reference to what PS are doing, more a direct comment on what we should expect from breeders in relation to hermaphrodism.

14 hours ago, NezA said:

The situation isn't as black and white as my comments here perhaps read, every rule has exceptions. Obviously there's mixed feelings about the topic but that's what makes this place great in 2024, nuance is pretty much dead everywhere else.

Absolutely, for me high quality meds supercedes the need for pure sensi, for others hands off sensi,  or even canopy, yield etc.. is prioritised.

I personally view ot1 as a breeder. He clearly wasnt driven by anything other than quality cannabis, but his strains were well worked and breeding out hermaphrodism was lower down on the breeder goals list.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 20:51, ukbudz said:

It absolutely boils my piss tbh, especially since I'm down to 4 no till pots at a time now. One or two herms has the potential to ruin a couple of months worth of work, which is shit considering the price of seeds and electricity these days. 

That's pretty much me too ukbudz as I only do around the same so I Can't afford any mishaps like you. I also like to multi strain for a mixed bag to smoke which brings more risk too. I've started to look at a lot of my vast seed collection and realise that most are in the "likely to herm" brigade. I'll continue with caution. Peace. 

• Like 1

Was browsing a US based bank recently and noticed part of the animated site banner says “Absolutely no Girl Scout Cookies”

Maybe Paradise Seeds are trying to send out a similar message?

• Like 3

Checking for any male bits has become part of my growing routine these days, they'll show up around week 4. I'm running one of my hacks, MAC x Hellfire OG, atm and the 3 girls I have produced a couple each which didn't even contain any pollen. Checking all my plants is one more job I could do without but now I just treat it as something that has to be done, knock 'em off and continue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smokey McBongface said:

Was browsing a US based bank recently and noticed part of the animated site banner says “Absolutely no Girl Scout Cookies”

Maybe Paradise Seeds are trying to send out a similar message?

I'd be surprised if they had many seeds for sale then as most stuff has cookies in it nowadays don't they ? 😂

• Like 2

On 23/03/2024 at 15:31, DeltaMelter said:

Me too, Seedsman BlueBerry 'feminised' - was a straight-up Male plant.

Sensing a pattern here....lol

So it's not just me that has experienced this and from the same strain :wallbash:

Being from a pack of fems I was really caught out with him and he went and jizzed on my entire crop and seeded the lot :taz:

• Like 2

That's annoying Revive ! I managed to seed a whole indoor crop years ago when I forgot to turn the circulation fan off before 'selectively' pollinating a couple off buds - felt a right twat 😂

Also had a full male, outdoors last year, from a sweet seeds killer kush fv fem seed

I was gutted as I'd fallen in love with its looks ! Bit embarrassing for a hetero man , ahem 😎 

Here he is just before floweringlarge.IMG_1437.jpeg.1da8c594596b134a454bd36e7347e815.jpeg

• Like 1