Paradise seeds selling hermie prone seeds and actually putting it in the description!! wtf!

dan6

Sounds reasonable,  being up front that there’s a trade off for wanting something new / exotic but might have mild intersex issues.  What wrong with that?  

As for the males from female seeds (no contamination) , they are XX females but with a male phenotype,  different genetics kick them out in various frequencies and if you breed with them the typical outcome is what appears to be regs.   

I’m sure it happens in reg seeds too, but obviously just doesn’t stand out.  

• Like 12

So guys, I'm a bit gutted with my 5pk of Wappa. One, as mentioned was definitely 100% male. One didn't germinate and of the remaining three one has just starting throwing nanas on wk 5 of flower after looking great. It is the smelliest of the trio and was looking the chunkiest too! 

I did take snips of all three including the one which has just hermied from seed. I did have a fan fall over for an hour or so which may have allowed the tops to get a bit hot under the 600w hps. This is the only thing I have to explain the sudden nanas. Does anyone think that the clones might fare better? I have two of each from the three. One is definitely taller with sativa stretch nodes in comparison. The shorter two which include the hermie are similar height but the hermie one smells mighty strong. Peace. 

@Trashedagain77 Is it really worth bothering to find out mate? I know I wouldn't, not if you've got other seeds to get around too.

Gutted for ya :blub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/03/2024 at 19:10, Shumroom said:

@Revive had a blueberry feminised plant that was the accidental father of some seeds a couple of seasons ago :) 

Me too, Seedsman BlueBerry 'feminised' - was a straight-up Male plant.

Sensing a pattern here....lol

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/03/2024 at 09:40, Amarillo slim said:

Sounds reasonable,  being up front that there’s a trade off for wanting something new / exotic but might have mild intersex issues.  What wrong with that? 

Being up front about it I'm all for, I just find it odd that people would pay those prices for something that's potentially going to ruin an entire crop, if the seeds were being offered at a discount because of the known defect I could see an argument for them being brought to market, or include them as freebies with orders perhaps.

But it's a HIGHLY undesirable trait and charging full price and including a line in your marketing trying to spin it as though it can't be avoided is laziness compounded by greed.

Just my 2p.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, NezA said:

pay those prices

14 minutes ago, NezA said:

if the seeds were being offered at a discount

To be fair I just checked their website and they are reduced and reasonably priced.   

15 minutes ago, NezA said:

But it's a HIGHLY undesirable trait

Subjective.  If you’re a careful grower or can spare a tent grow to stress them (and find a sexually stable keeper) , then not end of the world.   

Fact is that most these fancy cali genetics are prone to intersex to some extent , often it’s the only reason they exist (bag seed) . 

So no massive surprise they’ve used two such lines and are covering their asses / limiting damage with the warning and pruning of lowers advice.

At end of the day nobody is making you buy them and they’ve been transparent about what they are selling. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

To be fair I just checked their website and they are reduced and reasonably priced.

In that case I can see an argument, not a particularly convincing one though.

57 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Subjective.  If you’re a careful grower or can spare a tent grow to stress them (and find a sexually stable keeper) , then not end of the world.   

Sounds like work that we used to pay "breeders" to do...

I'm out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NezA said:

In that case I can see an argument, not a particularly convincing one though.

I'm out.

Fair enough, I guess vote with your wallet and don’t buy them.

I’m sure there are similar offerings from other breeders which either don’t come with a warning (when they should) , or don’t need one (because lineage is inaccurate). 

Low intersex being the norm is more because companies are basically rehashing the same few forgiving, stable lines and slapping different names on ,  vs doing lots of breeding work for

each new thing.  

The consumers / market lend themselves to putting out constant new ‘strains’ to keep up with trends etc. 

You can spend 10 years doing meticulous selection from landrace stock to create something totally unique, and nobody will care , because there will be S1’s of the latest sherbertrutz11 x jellytits for £300 a pack  on instagram .

Seems to me like companies like Paradise are just having to adapt / jump on the bandwagon to some extent to keep up in a crowded hype driven marketplace.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NezA said:

This 👆

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NezA said:

Yeah we should probably start doing that again really.

If people keep buying over hyped hermi prone pollen chuck seeds then they'll keep making them. Like Slim says there's plenty of breeders out there doing proper work, but you hardly see anyone talking about them because nowadays it's about who can shout the loudest and spend the most on advertising, more so than ever before. 

It's utter madness IMO, but it's a consumer driven trend. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NezA said:

Sounds like work that we used to pay "breeders" to do

Hey man, did a couple of test grow for ot1, both came with a warning to keep an eye out for hermies. I think a few bits and bobs of his breeding stock and lines had this tendency. 

Cant place ot1 breeding anywhere near paradise breeding, just incompareable manipulation of cannabinoids. I do wonder though if the 80s-90s drive to rid hermaphrodism from drug cannabis in a desperate search for guaranteed sinsemilla has played a role in unwittingly led selection to favour a bland and nearly worthless cannabinoid profile ie bin the good bits because of some boy bits.. I'm no breeder, so pure speculation on my part.

Just wanted to point out that I dont want a breeder to rid cannabis of an evolved trait, I want breeders to develop unique cannabinoid profiles that I can trial for my needs. I can manage the boy bits no bother, even if spotted late and results in some seeding. What I cant abide is 3 months love and energy for bland, rubbishy shite lol

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah we should probably start doing that again really.

If people keep buying over hyped hermi prone pollen chuck seeds then they'll keep making them. Like Slim says there's plenty of breeders out there doing proper work, but you hardly see anyone talking about them because nowadays it's about who can shout the loudest and spend the most on advertising, more so than ever before. 

It's utter madness IMO, but it's a consumer driven trend. 

Who can resist names like 'Strawberry Nuggets'. WALOB

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cambium said:

I can manage the boy bits no bother, even if spotted late and results in some seeding.

It's horses for courses, but anecdotally from what I see posted in various places intersex tendancies are a huge source of frustration for a great many Growers. Kudos to paradise for being open and upfront with the information.

Someone else made the OT1 point to me the other day and I hear you but it's not apples to apples as you rightly recognise, the beans OT1 made were never intended to be for commercial gain, they were shared here to help fund the site, and he certainly didn't consider himself a breeder, but there's no arguments from anyone that his brand of cannabis was and still is very special. I have a pack of lot5evo F2's which is a line known to throw intersex plants, but I will certainly  grow them out at some point. What it really boils down to for me is what's the motivation of the seedmaker? If it seems to me that financial gain is the main or only motive at play I'm far less likely to be tolerant of such things.

The situation isn't as black and white as my comments here perhaps read, every rule has exceptions. Obviously there's mixed feelings about the topic but that's what makes this place great in 2024, nuance is pretty much dead everywhere else.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 9

It cant be be as bad as it was 25  years ago, you'd buy dealer weed and it would consistently be seeded, some of the older heads will know the struggle was real back then lol

Edited by HazyDaze
  • Like 1

It absolutely boils my piss tbh, especially since I'm down to 4 no till pots at a time now. One or two herms has the potential to ruin a couple of months worth of work, which is shit considering the price of seeds and electricity these days. 

• Like 3