Should you LST outdoor plants?

Bram Toker

When growing plants outdoors does low stress training improve yields ? I know this training technique is often used indoors to create an even canopy to allow for the limited penetration of artificial lighting but is this a significant factor for outdoor growing since the Sun is already 93 million miles away so a foot here or there shouldn't make much difference to the plant? I know there are other reasons for training eg purposes of stealth etc but what's the thinking regarding yield? I've looked at a few diaries and this technique doesn't seem to be used that often. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Yeah it's worth doing, one of my favourite techniques is to wait until you see them start flowering and then bend the main stem towards the north (providing your in the northern hemisphere). That one simple bit of training gives you a much more even quality of flower accross the board. 

Of course you can get more technical if you want, some people even use scrog screens. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

That one simple bit of training gives you a much more even quality of flower accross the board. 

Sorry if I'm being thick but does that mean an increased yield? If so, could you hazard a guess by how much the yield would be improved?

Thanks for the compliment @bfehillbilly

But there's no way on planet earth that i would describe myself as a master of anything. lol lol

But i do bend and torture plants indoor and outdoor and i loves it. lol lol

@Bram Toker

Its not really about how far the light source is away ie the sun its about the plant itself.

The plant produces something (can't remember name for it) and sends it straight up the main stem.

Left alone u will probably end up crimbo tree shape with one large bud.

If u bend and can keep the main top lower than the lower branches u trick the plant.

It now sends more of the good stuff to the lower branches thickening those up into main tops.

The more even the canopy whether inside or out i reckon will always yield more than one large bud and a load of small stuff.

I think i got that right bit laymans terms but i is a bit layman. lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@murphyblueThanks mate. I know about using LST to prevent apical dominance. I just wondered whether it made much difference to yield outdoors when the lower buds are getting essentially the same light levels as the main cola. I'm guessing it makes a beneficial difference but perhaps to not the same extent as with indoor growing. I noticed that a lot of outdoor growers don't seem to bother with it. Perhaps that would be more about minimising trips to the grow site rather than LST being pointless. Thanks again for sharing the benefit of your experience.

• Like 2

@Bram Toker what it definitely does which could potentially help the yield is reduce the risk of mould, a big chunky main cola will be far more likely to rot than a lot of smaller ones.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

@MindSoup

Yep, that makes sense. My instinct  would be to LST as a matter of course but when looking through the outdoor diaries it didn't seem to be standard practice. I'm hoping to do some outdoor growing (in what passes for) the summer this year so thought I'd get some input on this from those more experienced than me.

• Like 1

If I only had a couple of plants out then I'd probably do what I can LST wise.

When you have a good amount out I'm not sure it's worth it unless your space is restricted.

For example one of my plots is one long strip in-between a patch of brambles. I whack a good amount of plants in and a bit of LST is definitely worth it, as the surrounding brambles can block light from the lower bud sites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bram Toker said:

didn't seem to be standard practice

No, well for a lot of people keeping visits to a minimum is paramount, so faffing about with stuff like that can be seen as a risk. The less time you spend on site the less likely you'll get caught or draw attention to the area, stealth is arguably as important as anything else in maximizing yield. 

I've retired from GGing now, well saying that I do have a bit of a plan for some fun in the sun this year but anyway. In my early years I did play arou quite a lot with topping and training and had some good success, but over time my style chahged quite a lot. I gravitated towards growing a larger number of smaller plants started later in the year, sowing may and early June. Small stealthy plants that needed lees time and resources, more eggs in more baskets etc.. A big reason for that change was minimising visits, that and I'm still convinced smaller plants finish quicker outdoor (insert bro science disclaimer here). 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

No, well for a lot of people keeping visits to a minimum is paramount, so faffing about with stuff like that can be seen as a risk.

Yep, I guessed that would probably be the reason. 

6 hours ago, Bram Toker said:

Perhaps that would be more about minimising trips to the grow site rather than LST being pointless.

Thanks for confirming.

I'm deffo an outdoor bender (lst) very rare I let them do there thing without manipulation.. the points already made make it very worthwhile imo

Topping to create more leaders can be a risk when growing outdoors once the winds start hitting the plants so using LST to get the same results with pretty much zero recovery time is favourable. 

Again big tall ass plants are a pain to maintain and support so this technique will help to combat that too.

Smaller stocky multi headed plants work much better outdoors than the traditional crimbo tree stylee imo and to be able to manipulate there shape to maximise air flow is certainly beneficial when it comes to rot later down the line.. LST FTW 👍

• Like 5

Many thanks for the input guys. Just a quick follow up. Is LST worth it for outside autos. Obviously the grow stage would be shorter than for photoperiod plants so would they have time to benefit from this technique?

@MindSoupperusing the diaries in your signature I have to say I'm very impressed how you implement this technique. Am I right in thinking you would start a plant in the corner or edge of a pot rather than the centre?

Edited by Bram Toker