Pure sativa discussion

Slippy One

So many conflicting reports on feed. I'm not sure that's overfeeding here, she's pretty crispy, looks more like she's been poisoned. Overfeeding usually leaves something green.. Malawi would most likely die of cold before harvesting in the UK, surely? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slippy One said:

So many conflicting reports on feed. I'm not sure that's overfeeding here, she's pretty crispy, looks more like she's been poisoned. Overfeeding usually leaves something green.. Malawi would most likely die of cold before harvesting in the UK, surely? 

The photo was taken a couple of weeks after she lost her will to live, I abandoned her when she had only a few leaves left so she wasn't watered for a few weeks before this was taken and I'm in Spain so the cold issue shouldn't come into, I went with overfeeding because that's all I thought it could be. 

The leaves just yellowed and fell off and it only happened after I started to feed, she was fine before that.

I wasn't gutted as it was purely an experimental grow, that's why I only put 1 in at the start, as it was my attempt at an outdoor sativa grow. 

I will be trying again this year but I might try something less expensive than the Malawi, although I did have 1 freebie Malawi in my 5 pack, I also have Golden Tiger and Bangi Haze in the fridge so perhaps I'll run one of the Bangi as they were also free.

All my other plants were fine at the plot, same water, same medium, same feeds etc.

No worries, the new season is almost upon us, onwards and upwards.

ETA: This is what Ace states on their website: We recommend moderate nutrients levels during the growing stage (slightly low of nitrogen) and moderate-high for the flowering stage.

Edited by Arbre Medicinal

On 09/01/2024 at 13:08, Slippy One said:

which are supposed to last 90 days

possibly if size controlled, no more than 2ft x 2ft spread, not sure about height.

mine were in coco with pellets and they got pretty big, the feed ran out after about the 4/5th week in flower

I did read that if the pellets run out, you can get away with sprinkling more on the top of the coir, but most likely incompatible with Blumats..

But still so much variation, some that feed like pigs, some that grow on very little food, some that stretch so much they flower them at 2" only, I can tell I'm in for a fun ride! :D

On 14/01/2024 at 07:01, Arbre Medicinal said:

large.b3ec84c6-cb65-4329-b4ba-392f54e34e2b.jpg

I killed the Malawi (Ace) I tried to grow last year, the cause; overfeeding.

I was only giving 1ml of Fish Mix and 1ml of Bloom but she didn't like it at all.

I made a complete bolloks of it tbh, she was growing great and had started to flower but then I noticed a few yellow leaves so I thought to myself "she needs a feed" so I fed her and I started to get more yellow leaves, so I fed her again, this stupidly went on for a few weeks until I realised what was going on and stopped feeding but by then it was too late. She probably would have been ready sometime in November but obviously she was weeks behind the Seedstockers strains.

All part of the learning curve and that's mainly why I only sowed 1 seed.

I will be trying again this year... 

Would have done better in the ground and let nature deal with it.

@Arbre Medicinal the Malawi is really interesting, when I had a play with a couple of seeds they were unlike anything I have seen before. I found this guy and hoped to use him for breeding

large.IMG_0175JPG.jpg.c23e301c10bbd61223958b18c63c2c82.jpg

large.IMG_0182JPG.jpg.5d99c7534715fb3673539e709ab746e4.jpg

Fed once with fishmix, went a lovely dark green colour then stopped producing preflowers. Continued to look really healthy but refused to flower no matter what I tried.

Previously hadn’t given fishmix much thought in its ability to act as a PGR but considering the native environment of Malawi I guess it sort of makes sense. The last thing a plant from Malawi is expecting, is to be fed with fish from the north sea lol 

Edited by Smokey McBongface

8 hours ago, Dr feelgood said:

Would have done better in the ground and let nature deal with it.

You haven't seen my ground.

• Like 1

large.20210324_192301-1209x1612.jpg.525cd9984944fa5d4e2e3849feb52d2f.jpglarge.20210203_191712-1209x1612.jpg.bdb9470cd23c4150f5bd76f903abfde8.jpglarge.20210324_192220-1512x2016.jpg.b8723085f9f7e5437414bbc851c08568.jpg

The only pure sat I've grown is Ace's Bangi Congo x Panama. Lovely plant, both to grow and vape. But I'd consider it a tamed sativa. I've got some Panama seeds in the fridge and some of @Ned The Head s Zamaldelica open pollination and ESBM x Lot 5 Evo but it's hard enjoying sativa highs while being pretty much a micro grower lol

I have had a Lot5 Evo f2 and a Celia bx1 recently though, both very nice, but I really need to test myself with a proper sat at some point.

• Like 4

On 09/01/2024 at 16:55, Cajafiesta said:

I ran Colombians (the ot1 Sativa) indoors and they went 23 weeks. It’s a commitment, but they’re a very unique thing with regard to effect. 

How would you describe the effect of Oldtimer's Haze?

3 hours ago, AdamD said:

How would you describe the effect of Oldtimer's Haze?

I suppose that depends on what we're referencing as "Oldtimer's Haze."  I don't have any commentary on anything that ACE sells. 

What I have, that I call OT1 Sativa or OT1 "Haze" isn't the exact same thing that ace retails to customers.  ACE started with the same seed stock that I have grown from.  I have no clue how the ACE selections drove the line or where it ended up. 

The OT1 "sativa" I have grown and smoked is 200% sativa. All brain impact, zero body impact. They flowered 23-24 weeks indoors.  Very tall, lanky plants.  

The effect on the ones I have in jars were a bit racy to begin with, but now that they have nearly a year cure on them, they're a bit different. 

It's absolutely all Sativa, but there's no more "racy" to it.  It's almost as if you're not confident you're high until you go outside and look at the trees etc and then you realize you're VERY high.  It's just different.  Trees sorta look different, I've caught them moving slightly in the breeze ( out of my peripheral) when there was no wind and no trees were moving. It's sort of like your brain is keyed up to 10 but you're not jittery.  More like mentally acute.  Laser focus on some things with this odd sort of urgent calm wafting over you.  Almost like mental urgency, but you're aware that YOU don't have to be urgent, and that realization is calming.  

Sort of along those lines, if that makes sense. 

But that's the line I have.  the ACE line ( which I assume is what you're asking about or considering growing) may or may not be at all similar.  I have no clue.

It's a different thing, that's for sure.  Nothing about it, in any way, is like a modern hybrid. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 5

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

I have done OT with Ace but haven't smoked it yet. I am afraid of effects such as rapid heartbeat, fear, panic, which I am familiar with from strains such as SSH.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AdamD said:

I am afraid of effects such as rapid heartbeat, fear, panic, which I am familiar with from strains such as SSH.

You know the best way to overcome that is to go deep and embrace those effects. If you are trying to avoid them playing about with Ace's sativas probably isn't the best idea.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AdamD said:

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

I have done OT with Ace but haven't smoked it yet. I am afraid of effects such as rapid heartbeat, fear, panic, which I am familiar with from strains such as SSH.

Eh, nothing to be afraid of. What’s the worst than can happen?  Sweaty palms and an hour of discomfort. Nothing to be scared of. Just gotta remind yourself it’s just dope, it won’t hurt you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost ready to see how many ladies I get from 7 beans. I'm looking at 1 confirmed Zamaldelica lady, with 2 unknown gender Panamas after over a week in the flower cab. 

Anyone keeping mums of their fav pure sativas? Is there any issues keeping these as bonsais? So far, my seed plants are reasonably happy in their 1L pots after 2 months, although they're clearly root bound and don't look thrilled about it.. :D 

On 20/01/2024 at 12:09, Cajafiesta said:

It's almost as if you're not confident you're high until you go outside and look at the trees etc and then you realize you're VERY high. 

I love this! lol

• Like 2