Pure sativa discussion

Slippy One

On 09/01/2024 at 1:34 PM, pollenlover said:

Always fancied running the landrace from Kerala called Sheilavartry (not sure of the spelling)

Possibly Sheelazvathi. Also an Indian strain.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

Possibly Sheelazvathi. Also an Indian strain.

That could be it. 

• Like 2

On 10/01/2024 at 9:40 PM, Trashedagain77 said:

I'm thinking of trying some proper sativa soon. I have Aces Malawi regs. I have done a few of Aces hybrids, a few zamaldelica x kali China which were to this day some of the nicest weed I've grown and smoked! The three phenos were a bit different in a real good way. I have Panama x Pakistan citral kush to try soon which is 50/50 hybrid. I will however get round to doing the Malawi to see if sativa is for me! Great thread by the way! Peace. 

Ace's strains are hard to beat. ZxKC is an absolute corker. Produces some beautiful vigorous plants with flavours, terps and effects to match. Their Malawi is alleged to be a right Stormtrooper but haven't tried it yet. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 5:01 AM, pollenlover said:

That could be it. 

I’ve seen it spelled several ways. Sheelavathi seems to be the most common. 

I have some. Haven’t ran it, but I think I sent some to a dude that likes to run NLD outdoors. 

for whatever it’s worth, I haven’t yet been impressed with the several nld Indians I’ve ran. I’m sure there are good ones, but I haven’t found them yet. 

1 hour ago, Cajafiesta said:

I’ve seen it spelled several ways. Sheelavathi seems to be the most common. 

I have some. Haven’t ran it, but I think I sent some to a dude that likes to run NLD outdoors. 

for whatever it’s worth, I haven’t yet been impressed with the several nld Indians I’ve ran. I’m sure there are good ones, but I haven’t found them yet. 

Did you run them outdoors the other Indian strains? Whats the climate like where you are?

Been to India a few times. I've smoked Sheelavathi, or what I believe to be Sheelavathi, as well as loads of other Indian ganja and it really stood out.

Whether the seeds for sale are as good is anyone guess and it could be a numbers game searching for something special. 

1 hour ago, pollenlover said:

Did you run them outdoors the other Indian strains? Whats the climate like where you are?

Been to India a few times. I've smoked Sheelavathi, or what I believe to be Sheelavathi, as well as loads of other Indian ganja and it really stood out.

Whether the seeds for sale are as good is anyone guess and it could be a numbers game searching for something special. 

Yes, outdoors. Climate is agreeable to some indian source locations. About 30 deg N Lat. some finished, others did not. They were all pretty ho-hum. Rasoli seemed most agreeable. It was beautiful and huge. Made Uber “meh” flower. Some others wouldn’t finish. I forget, but I believe those two were mani puri and ukhrul naga. Wailing valley finished and was underwhelming. Orissa wouldn’t play nice. 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 13:29, Simple Jack said:

12/12

Based on my limited experience, I would recommend minimum vegetation - get them on 12/12 as soon as possible, even if that means final potting up before the roots have fully expanded.

Apart from stretching the main problem is knowing when they're done. The "normal" rules don't really apply. They just seem to keep on flowering. I once took a psychedelicia to 20 weeks - not recommended!

Im planning to grow Authentic Genetics Original haze (columbian IBL) at some point this year. 16 weeks flower time. Todd says the same, minimum veg time as poss. Flower them at a height of 2 inches max. Probably gonna have feed grow and bloom through flower.

MistY

On 09/01/2024 at 14:10, GSZZ said:

Never trust a NLD seed plant lol its a good idea to flower the clones, as they tend to stretch a bit less and flower a little quicker than the seed plants do. 

Whats a NLD line/seed?

That's a good point, what do you feed them if they're 2" tall at flower? 4 weeks of veg then 12 weeks on the flower nutes?

I'm going to have 11/13 lighting from the beginning, and I'm worried about stretch for sure. 

Are sats light feeders or do they like higher concentrations?/ I've read conflicting reports, often pheno based observations.

• Like 1

@MistYGr33n narrow leaf drug / broad leaf drug which are the new terms for the previously referred to "Sativa" and "Indica".

3 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

what do you feed them if they're 2" tall at flower? 4 weeks of veg then 12 weeks on the flower nutes?

Veg nutes until they stop stretching - although some varieties are N sensitive, so watch out for bloom nutes that have more N than the veg nutes. e2a keeping phospherous low helps to control stretch a bit too, contrary to popular believe that high P reduces stretching (it doesnt)

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, GSZZ said:

@MistYGr33n narrow leaf drug / broad leaf drug which are the new terms for the previously referred to "Sativa" and "Indica".

Veg nutes until they stop stretching - although some varieties are N sensitive, so watch out for bloom nutes that have more N than the veg nutes.

@GSZZ

Cheers, been out of the scene awhile. Got some catching up to do.

MistY

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

That's a good point, what do you feed them if they're 2" tall at flower? 4 weeks of veg then 12 weeks on the flower nutes?

I'm going to have 11/13 lighting from the beginning, and I'm worried about stretch for sure. 

Are sats light feeders or do they like higher concentrations?/ I've read conflicting reports, often pheno based observations.

I would have thought some N would be used for most of the grow. I would probably use grow, bloom, root tonic up to week 9 then drop the root tonic and replace it with bloom boost, then from week 12 id drop the grow nutes and just use bloom. Final 2 weeks id use flush it. 

MistY

42 minutes ago, MistYGr33n said:

I would have thought some N would be used for most of the grow.

I would've thought N throughout might make them foxtail or stretch too much, and to use flowering nutes post stretch. 

My biggest issue is that I'm using 90 day flowering specific pellets in coco (beanstalk), so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to also add vegging pellets, as the N would linger for the full 90 days. 

I could always manually water with a veg feed once a week to provide some N at the start of flowering. 

2" for flowering? Really? I'm a scrog grower so would that give me enough time to fill the netting before flowers are forming? I'm guessing yes, if the stretch is 4-6 weeks while the remaining 10 is for flower development.. they do grow like triffids

• Like 1

large.b3ec84c6-cb65-4329-b4ba-392f54e34e2b.jpg

I killed the Malawi (Ace) I tried to grow last year, the cause; overfeeding.

I was only giving 1ml of Fish Mix and 1ml of Bloom but she didn't like it at all.

I made a complete bolloks of it tbh, she was growing great and had started to flower but then I noticed a few yellow leaves so I thought to myself "she needs a feed" so I fed her and I started to get more yellow leaves, so I fed her again, this stupidly went on for a few weeks until I realised what was going on and stopped feeding but by then it was too late. She probably would have been ready sometime in November but obviously she was weeks behind the Seedstockers strains.

All part of the learning curve and that's mainly why I only sowed 1 seed.

I will be trying again this year... 

• Like 4

Oh wow, I heard pure sats didn't like much feed but didn't realise it was to that extreme, must have been gutting to lose her at that stage dude. We're you tempted to try and smoke a bit? Or run it over a screen? I've had some real manky looking "afro bush" that had a similar appearance but still got me spangled. 

• Like 1