Pure sativa discussion

Slippy One

Hi strain nerds, just putting a thread up that shares tips, pics and stoner stories regarding pure sativa types. 

so here I am in the process of cloning for sex, 7 mixed narrow leaf consisting of 3x Panama and 4x Zamaldelica from Ace Seeds. All I’m looking for 1 special lady for a keeper mum and eliminate the boys. For the remaining mums (hopefully no more than 3-4), I’ll flower them all to see which is the winner. 

Sativas don’t seem very popular for many reasons like electricity, stretch etc. There’s not a lot of information growing these, hardly any pure diaries, horror stories about 16-20 weekers with wiry buds and poor yields with weak buzzes. To me they seem bit of a dark art, so I’m curious to explore and document my progress, would be good for others to share their experiences too. 

already about week 5 on the narrow leafs and starting to resemble bonsai mums, and still no signs of sex. I’ll be sure to use the 11/13 schedule for the duration of their flowering to help recreate their natural cycle. 

7x narrow seedlings around week 5ish 

large.IMG_3114.jpeg

These poor clones will be sacrificed just to reveal gender :( 

large.IMG_3115.jpeg

Who else grows or smokes them? Are they rubbish? Waste of 16 weeks electric? Feel free to add your own experience or opinions. 

:yep: 

• Like 11

I grew Purple Haze (circa. 2004) Sensi Seeds (IIRC) took 12 weeks to flower, in a NFT setup, 6 plants under a good old fashioned 1000W HPS. I'm not sure of how pure Sativa the strain was. Electricity was cheaper then. They grew tall (1.5m) & crop size & harvest was OK. The taste & soaring high was wonderful. I have never grown a Sativa dominant plant as good since. Although I have some Refresher's Haze vegging currently.

If you want quality over quantity go for it.

Edited by Lux_Interior
NFT not HFT (that might be a bank, or a train?)
  • Like 6

Funnily enough I grew both these strains last year. With an abundance of reserves, I thought I would have a crack at something exotic. I have long been intrigued by the legendary Zamal of Reunion, and the Panama Haze looked cool.

Despite a certain amount of neglect caused by me being away, they grew with vigour-  too much fucking vigour. With a grow height of at least 7' , stretching is rarely a problem, but with these I had to supercrop brutally.

I had to chop the Panama Haze at 14 weeks. It was on the way out and showing signs of mould and I couldn't be there to keep an eye on it. It definitely could have done with longer. The Zamaldelica got 16 weeks which I reckon was just about right.

The PH buds are slender and foxtaily ( a bit like rosemary) but the colas are huge. The smoke smells amazing - pungent, exotic, "drug den"! I initially found the effects disappointing; definitely not the soaring sativa high I had hoped for. It's hard to describe. Definitely not physical. Cerebral but not high as in euphoria, racing thoughts etc. It's more like focused and aware but not intense. It's certainly not a lack of potency; I made some tincture out of it and that is rocket fuel. As I said, I had to harvest early, so I am probably not doing it justice. Interesting though.

The Zamaldelica buds are a bit more compact while having the sativa brushiness. Did not disappoint! Strong fruity aroma (pineapple). Lovely sativa high. I will definitely grow this one again.

• Like 5

Jesus though, 16 weeks?! Did you do the 11/13 lighting or 12/12? Blood hell, it’ll be mid summer before I harvest these.. lol 

• Like 5

I was looking at some potential 16 weekers but getting to 10 is a skill in its sen. Have a couple of packs of Nevils Haze hybrids. Crossed to Tropicana, GMO and ChemD. Hoping to do the Tropicana one next up. 

Anyone have any solid ground rules for growing the 14/16 weekers? 

• Like 1

Ace seem to have tamed them pretty well - I have done a few runs of various strains of theirs over the past couple of years with good results - dont under feed them once stretch has stopped they are much hungrier than i expected them to be.

I did do a couple of MadMac haze repo and tomhill cross only got boys but they both got massive in just tiny 1 litre pots even after a few toppingslarge.o-haze-boy.jpg

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 11

Sativas AKA triffids. Good tip on the feeds, I’ll be doing mine in coco with beanstalk pellets, which are supposed to last 90 days so I might need to supplement some liquid feeds near the 4th month., lol 

• Like 1

12/12

Based on my limited experience, I would recommend minimum vegetation - get them on 12/12 as soon as possible, even if that means final potting up before the roots have fully expanded.

Apart from stretching the main problem is knowing when they're done. The "normal" rules don't really apply. They just seem to keep on flowering. I once took a psychedelicia to 20 weeks - not recommended!

• Like 5

Always fancied running the landrace from Kerala called Sheilavartry (not sure of the spelling) but at 16 weeks flowering and controlling it in a 80x80 tent has put me off.  

My only experience of running a pue Sativa was growing a Nepali strain outside in Spain. Fucker was taller than the house and got chopped down!

• Like 5

Never trust a NLD seed plant lol its a good idea to flower the clones, as they tend to stretch a bit less and flower a little quicker than the seed plants do. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That was a while back and I hadn't been growing all that long. First outdoor season in Spain and I naively thought I could grow anything I wanted! 

The above advice is gold though.

• Like 3

You’re likely going to want to consider reducing light ever lower than 11 hours about midway through flower. 

they’re just a totally different thing. I have an older topic in strain talk about ot1 “haze” indoors. There are photos in that. 

the best way I’ve found to limit stretch (relatively speaking) is to choke them out in beginning flower. Flower them in the smallest pot you can manage while keeping them alive. Midway through flower, cut the top out and pot them up. This has worked for me .

I ran Colombians (the ot1 Sativa) indoors and they went 23 weeks. It’s a commitment, but they’re a very unique thing with regard to effect. 

most people seem to take the same approach as Oldtimer did, to a degree. 

attempt to outcross the nld line against something more broad leaf that is not dominant. The idea being getting the NLD effects in a plant that lands at 12-14 weeks. 

16 weeks is pretty mild for a nld line, really, in my opinion. 

you gotta grow these because you want to see them. If you’re just trying to grow them to get stoned it’s gonna be a long, arduous journey. They’re something that requires a fascination, in my opinion. 

best of luck. 

• Like 5

I've had good success indoors using smaller pots (5 litres or less). SCROG with minimal veg time. Lower EC values than normal Hybrids. Use 11hrs on/13hrs off or even 10hrs on/14 hrs off light cycle to save flower time and leccy. Very well worth the wait. The Terps can be so plentiful and amazing in some of these cultivars. Sweet Strawberries, Cherries, Grapes, Creamy Lemon, Lime, Mango, Anise, Incense, Skunk, Spices, Carrots etc. Plus the effects are definitely something to experience at least once in your growing lifetime. 

• Like 6

I'm thinking of trying some proper sativa soon. I have Aces Malawi regs. I have done a few of Aces hybrids, a few zamaldelica x kali China which were to this day some of the nicest weed I've grown and smoked! The three phenos were a bit different in a real good way. I have Panama x Pakistan citral kush to try soon which is 50/50 hybrid. I will however get round to doing the Malawi to see if sativa is for me! Great thread by the way! Peace. 

• Like 1