Lazy coco growing using only pellets & hard water

Slippy One

2 hours ago, Slippy One said:

outdoors this summer

Thought you hung up your boots slip lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Revive said:

Thought you hung up your boots slip lol

My GG boots hell yeah. I still grow outdoors though, just back yard glam stylee. 😇

No disrespect to any GG growers, but that's a game that I stopped enjoying years ago, was fun though. :D  :yep:

large.IMG_2255.jpeg.9e108076f897c56ab72caeb0d4dbe71c.jpeg

• Like 5

They look decent slip :)

I think if I had a garden (wish) I'd probably do the same 👍

yes it's hard collar full on GG but the its starting to feel like a younger man's game 🧑‍🦽

I still fuking love it mind even though it breaks my bollox ;)

Edited by Revive
  • Like 3

@Slippy One

There are two things I don't get:

- blumat is designed for soil not Coco mainly. With soil ( I guess as per living soil) the damp is just less ( and probably less run off?).

You often mentioned that some organic products doesn't like damp....but I guess they can still be humid enough for the Coco as medium mix. Warmcast 20% ( could be 10%) guano, seaweed, fish bones, ....are all slow release powder that could be added as topped on the plants.

- I am sure you saw mr.canuck or similar using Gaia green and plain water... I am using several time to top up vegetables soil plants with guano bat, fish bones, etc 1st -2nd week of flowering and after just plain water. It should still work as you are doing.

The best organic tablets probably are nothing else that old school products mixed togehter compacted as nice supositorium, as the salts ones. And sold more expensive.

I read several threds of people adding warmcast for example to Coco.

Several thread about contradictory uses of guna bat or fish blood.

Here already people is mixing with seaweed.

I am going definitely to experiment in the vege room LED in some future, but I am very tempted to try in the next flowering....very much.

On 15/03/2024 at 20:01, Slippy One said:

I just looked at those Biotabs. It's organic, nice. But aren't they the same as fbb, bonemeal etc, which are as cheap as chips from B&Q? Does this means I could fertilize the coco with organic material instead of these pellets?

Anyone successfully growing in low/no runoff coco using bonemeal, fbb etc? I don't see how it wouldn't work, unless these pellets have some form of ph buffer or similar tech.. 

I'm maybe just too stoned to think straight, but this would work, wouldn't it? Just enrich the coco with cheap organics and keep damp somehow.. ?

Your getting closer and closer to no till/super soil by the second:hippy:

Simple answer is yes that would work, but only if you use big enough pots and just building a no till bed would arguably be better and easier than trying to make it work with more normal sized pots. 

• Like 2

On 18/03/2024 at 13:44, Slippy One said:

Anyway, the only issue I have with using compost, is that I recall you shouldn’t keep compost damp constantly, whereas coco loves it saturated. I might experiment with Blumats/compost outdoors this summer.. 👍🏼

Nonsense. No till is all about keeping soil constantly moist. There's a sweet spot for microbial activity and the Blumats keep it there. 

No till mate, it's like GG but indoors, you know it makes sense :hippy:

• Like 2

@MindSoupdon't get me wrong, I love the organic no till movement, I use this in my outdoor garden with bugs galore and layers of rotting comfrey but that's not practical for my small cabinet and 10L pot. I will add some compost around the carrots next time but although this system needs minor tweaks, it works really well for lazy style. No till takes more effort than tiny enriched pots of coir and you know it! :D 

• Like 1

60x60x120cm is my growing space, beds 45L it's about 50x40 and about 30cm tall. So it it definitely doable on a small scale and not much more effort but probably a bit more thought. I'd say 45-50L is absolute minimum really for anything that will last a few cycles, mines done 2 years or so now. 

I'd stick with the beanstalk/pellets for small pots, organic slow release feeds in small pots never really works, real struggle to get enough available to keep up the demand if the plant. I did try the Biotabs but they didn't seem to work very well, I'd always end up feeding and they'd still be in the root ball when the grow ended. Admittedly I wasn't using their whole system, but I did use Biosys which should have filled the gap pretty well, either way your methods are clearly working very well so I doubt they'd come close.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

Last day before the chop ✂️ on the G13 Sweet Amnesia. They say 65 days but she’ll get 63 and no more! 😁

Temps were dropped, extra defoliation which helped drop humidity between 55-65%. Daylight reduced to 10hrs 15 mins from 11 and you can finally see a hint of amber in the cloudy trichs. 

Next round I will be adding some soil around the carrots, and pea straw mulch to see if I can achieve zero runoff with Blumats. 

If you look really close, all the leaf tips are slightly burnt from adding more feed pebbles, but this didn’t seem to harm growth and flower production too bad. 

enjoy the pics, good to see lazy gardening still gets a result. 🥳🥳

large.IMG_3737.jpeg.5d780ecfd00d0e925ae32c6dfe9a0619.jpeglarge.IMG_3736.jpeg.4afcc48fa7f726b792b980805864553f.jpeglarge.IMG_3732.jpeg.9cafeb0084dc9cbd177a1f155c7afb71.jpeglarge.IMG_3731.jpeg.3ed611a5b774f4fe0c18e96bb71ef0f0.jpeglarge.IMG_3729.jpeg.f39833884fcb269b46fcb469fa242dc7.jpeglarge.IMG_3728.jpeg.602e6a4a616c9a8b46b07dc22fd2dac8.jpeglarge.IMG_3721.jpeg.14dabb13cca01de8d5316b5e604dbbaa.jpeg

• Like 8

Forgot to add that fabric pots looks nasty so will use a plastic pot next time to see if that helps. Not sure fabric pots are necessary using coco anyway.. 🤔

• 3 weeks later...

Update for the lazy coco, for the final flowering cycle before the summer is one of my own outdoor creations called The Ren (Rene x GG3). Pretty amazing outdoor plant, let's hope she's happy indoors for the next 7-8 weeks. Solid nugs that repel moisture, September rain in her stride with minimal losses to mould.  Earthy skunk lemon pine diva that you (and I do) chug all day long and remain mostly functional.. 

So my quest remains for perfectly damp coco with no runoff blumat, I swapped the fabric pots for an 11L plastic one and raised the carrots out of the coco a tad, as I suspected mine were too deep.

So far so good with these minor changes, don't want to do too many tweaks in case I lose track of what is/isn't working. I will also try to add pea straw mulch around the carrots, but as I only need a handful, I can't find this stuff in a small quantity so mightn't bother..  Garden shops should do a pick n mix for different mulch! :D 

I reduced the 4 carrots back down to 2x which are easier to manage.. 

I will also try to keep the res halfway and above to see if that helps maintain solid pressure. I suspect lower res levels make the carrots angry..

Anyway here's The Ren in all her outdoor glory :

large.IMG-2136.JPG.76fb9edb4a232cc0f028195ecd324244.JPGlarge.IMG-2089.jpg.72df7f2a2ccd28b356cb5c42b63de147.jpg

And now indoors on the SCROG rack, 5th day of 12:12:

large.IMG_3861.jpeg.eafa6131e8728a77cb3cc54960241ed0.jpeglarge.IMG_3867.jpeg.cef8d12951f38307bc16183becd48cd9.jpeglarge.IMG_3842.jpeg.bc29f10ac02c3bd36053bf2a8ae235c8.jpeg

And about 11 days ago after removing her from the bonsai nursery: 

large.IMG_3810.jpeg.a5d401e19389476be00dc08b955b0b18.jpeg

And here you can see the plastic containers, raised carrots:

large.IMG_3868.jpeg.8763c5409c700532198044666cc64000.jpeg

So after a week of hand watering, the carrots finally doing the job I've always expected them to do. Hand water,  drip stops. 24hrs later drip returns. 

Still lazy, just tweaking it. lol 

:toot: 

@Reviveyou mentioned you'd like to see how she performs under artificial, here's your chance! :yep:

• Like 6

Sounds like a lovely lady you have there. Good luck with the flip.

• Like 1

@Slippy One lovely grow diary this  definitely offers some food for thought on both feed n carrots..ive only ever used 1 carrot per pot on my clover tropf runs. always thought thats what blumat recommended due to them fighting each other, but hey i guess in coco your trying to keep it wetter? would that be right? i have found in the few grows my pots get very very dry but thats probs not me checking my tropfs at all like the whole grow. fk me im so lazy with it, as im sure u can imagine with this method i seriously reckon you could do a whole grow without visiting if you had big enough water tank an auto 12/12 timer come on when suitable. lets the plant work her self.

Personal will still look to use clover while abundant n cheap for me, but so like your coco n easy nutrient ways thank you, might be my next chosen method tbh we shall see how peat markets go. not sure if you've checked my space be interested to hear what you think on mpc front.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, growinggold said:

do a whole grow without visiting if you had big enough water tank

That's the plan, or at least less than the current 20 mins effort the entire flowering cycles take..  :yep:

• Like 5