Lazy coco growing using only pellets & hard water

Slippy One

6 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I tried it for my bonsai mums, didn't go well at all, but I think that was more slack watering and crap environment. 

I’m on this mission! I’m taking cuts for fresh bonsai’s soon so will update their progress using v-basis. I’ll try osmocote in the garden this summer, if it’s as good as beanstalk, this method will be super lazy AND super cheap! 😁😁

just thought, this method would appeal to those suffering with chronic pain/MS patients who need a basic system with no heavy lifting or mixing.. 💪🏼

Yeah see what you think, it'll be interesting to find out. Like you say it's a very accessible, minimal input, almost fool proof method and if that allows people to grow who otherwise couldn't, it can't be a bad thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

I’m on this mission! I’m taking cuts for fresh bonsai’s soon so will update their progress using v-basis. I’ll try osmocote in the garden this summer, if it’s as good as beanstalk, this method will be super lazy AND super cheap! 😁😁

just thought, this method would appeal to those suffering with chronic pain/MS patients who need a basic system with no heavy lifting or mixing.. 💪🏼

Im thinking of doing a side by side beanstalk and osmocote - for my 10 pots i'd need to buy more than one bag of each of the beanstalk, so seems like the perfect opportunity to do the side by side

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’ll be trying osmocote in the outdoor garden this season, although I’ve been reading about the way beanstalk pellets have layers, and how they release more potassium nearest to when the flowers need it most.. I like that osmo is cheap but also like it that beanstalk are canna specific, especially for indoor micro growing... 💡 🪴

Edited by Slippy One

9 hours ago, Slippy One said:

canna specific

Just marketing imo mate, tomato food works pretty much just as good as any "canna specific" and think about how good a result you get off fbb and sop. It's one of the easiest plants to grow ime.

9 hours ago, Slippy One said:

beanstalk pellets have layers, and how they release more potassium nearest to when the flowers need it most..

Osmocote do one like that as well 

:hippy:.  

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I’m gonna give the beanstalk a go, 15l pots for a 40cm 40cm ish canopy, might get a couple of packs for some cheeky ones in the garden….was the spaceman on the one pot packs that swung it for me lol

I’ve heard only bad things about the one pot packs.. 😂😂

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Just marketing imo

That might be, and I’ll try some osmo outdoors over summer but I’m more confident using beanstalk indoors.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

bad things

What kind of bad things?

I got the 2 free 'one-pot' sachets, and bought another 6 of them to get a discount. Think there's 3 left, so completed 5 single plant cycles (current plant will be down this week).

In compost, 12/14l pot. No additional late run feed required. 

It's been good. 

• Like 3

@Slippy One I think I can cope with that, chances are they’ll get eaten alive before running out of food 

• Haha 1

Ok, made it to day 47 without incident, roughly 20 days left, give or take a day or 2 either way. Dialing in the blumats for zero runoff is a delicate art that drives me mad. Just when you think it’s perfect, 3 days later looks a tad dry so dial back up the drip, 3 days later a bit more runoff than you want, dial down and repeat all grow. 

if anyone has any tips on the carrot manipulation for zero runoff but damp top layer let me know, there’s a 2-3 day lag and 4 carrots might be overkill for adjustability, maybe 1 deep carrot, 1 normal and a few extensions is the way forward??  🥕 

otherwise another zero effort grow with everything else. The plant looks fairly happy, maybe the extra dose worked out ok, although I do love the look of a hungry but fat plant at the end.

reduced light hours to 11 and will turn the temps down gradually over the next 2 weeks, hopefully she puts out more colour on the leaves. 

smell is quite faint so far, like lemon sherbet with gymnasium rope. 

G13’s Amnesia Haze lazy scrog auto water and feed stylee 😎🤘🏼🤘🏼

large.IMG_3656.jpeg.58ef872bdeb9693b3173d5aa78238690.jpeglarge.IMG_3646.jpeg.828172f2ee963beef33887099cbadd6e.jpeg

• Like 6

Looking beautiful mate. 

Crazy idea that just popped into my head. As you're probably aware Blumats aren't meant for use with Coco, soo, would it be totally crazy to chuck a handful of soil in just to have round the carrot? You'd get a more consistent contact with the ceramic, which is pretty crucial for them to work just right, a few bits of perlite touching the ceramic can be enough to throw them off. 

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

That just might be the ticket for the top layer, had no idea they weren’t suitable in coco, something to do with the ions? Or because it doesn’t dry as fast as coco? fiid for thought, it definitely feels like you have to drive the Blumats in coco, and I know once they’re set up and calibrated I shouldn’t touch them but I do.. 

Edited by Slippy One