Changing to LED

cortez

Hello guys,

Can you please help me with dilemma?

I had been browsing and reading about LED lights and i still didn’t get that conformation that the LED is better then HPS.

I’m asking you guys can someone confirm that 480W LED can replace 600w HPS? Can you harvest the same amount?

For example Mars Hydro FCE 4800 which is a 480W LED light and if you bring it closer to plants and you dimm it down can it be equivalent to 600w HPS?

25 minutes ago, mihavid2024 said:

I’m asking you guys can someone confirm that 480W LED can replace 600w HPS? Can you harvest the same amount?

For example Mars Hydro FCE 4800 which is a 480W LED light and if you bring it closer to plants and you dimm it down can it be equivalent to 600w HPS?

not many led units of different brands of the same wattage are equal in terms of performance. Generally speaking, a good 480w unit (not a mars hydro) can match and even outperform a 600w HID.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mihavid2024 said:

Running 480w par plus vs 600w hps and can't see much difference,think led might even win,3 days to harvest, buds dense as hell even on edges. Just get decent brand

You will(unless you only grow when it's warm enough) have to add extra heating to the equation when you go from HPS to LEDs :)

This is what makes LED more efficient than HPS lights, 

but in some situations the extra heat(inefficiency) from HPS provides the perfect environment for our plants. 

The light distribution of LEDs is excellent for a more even spread across the canopy, 

with a lot less drop off away from the middle that you get with HPS. 

Good luck with whatever you decide 🤪

Atb

☯️

11 hours ago, mihavid2024 said:

didn’t get that conformation that the LED is better then HPS.

They really are far better, I replaced my 2 hid lights which totalled 1000w for one 630w led unit and I'm completely happy. It's not just about yield, the quality is better too imo. 

just swapped to LED myself. One thing i have noticed is that my plants grow much smaller and compact. Internodes spacing is way smaller. 

MistY

As far as heating goes running low wattage heat mats and/or tube heaters would make up the heat difference and the LED(s) and heaters together would still use less power than an equivalent HID, so eventually the heaters would pay for themselves and then you'd start saving money on electricity.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Im about a year or so down the line after swapping hid for LEDs.

My 465w par+ pro  ... After a few runs finding my feet... Is now out performing a 600w hps in my environment, yeah im chucking a bit more leccy at heat but my direct debit for electricity isn't anything like it was 2 years ago... Probably all the fans i used to have to run :lookaround:

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
speelong

31 minutes ago, Boojum said:

As far as heating goes running low wattage heat mats and/or tube heaters would make up the heat difference and the LED(s) and heaters together would still use less power than an equivalent HID, so eventually the heaters would pay for themselves and then you'd start saving money on electricity.

It depends what part of the islands we live on,

we can’t all live on the south coast 😜

Atb

🥶

Edited by Shumroom
Don’t to can’t

Even if you needed to use more electricity running low wattage heaters and an LED together than running HID lights (I doubt you would, even far north) you'd only need to for the coldest months, and during summer you wouldn't need them on at all, and you wouldn't need to spend money on fans to cool the temperature from the lights, so overall I still think you'd save money on the bills over the year :)

1 hour ago, Boojum said:

I doubt you would

Big assumption 🤪

Atb

16 hours ago, Herbal Kint said:

Running 480w par plus vs 600w hps and can't see much difference,think led might even win,3 days to harvest, buds dense as hell even on edges. Just get decent brand

Thank you for your reply.

Which LED are you using (brand, model etc.)?

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Im about a year or so down the line after swapping hid for LEDs.

My 465w par+ pro  ... After a few runs finding my feet... Is now out performing a 600w hps in my environment, yeah im chucking a bit more leccy at heat but my direct debit for electricity isn't anything like it was 2 years ago... Probably all the fans i used to have to run :lookaround:

Thank you for your reply. Are you happy with switching to LED?

Can you please tell me which LED are you using (brand, model etc. and in how big tent)?

I believe you on electricity, now you can dimm the led down and put it closer to the plants, right?

I see that a lot of you guys are complaining about the heat with LED. Is the heat mainly from the drivers? Because with some brands you can put the drivers outside the tent to reduce the heat, that’s what i heard.

Thank you guys for such a quick feedback. 😃

1 hour ago, mihavid2024 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Which LED are you using (brand, model etc.)?

It's from Adam and Craig they had shop here but they closed. Par plus 480w fully dimable, am really impressed by quality of bud,density and coverage.Temps went really low with no problems,day 25c or lower night down to 17c.

Also leds seem to go through canopy much better hence lower nugs are more solid then under parabolic,I'll scale in about 2 weeks and see the numbers vs hps.

E2a lamp is like 30cm from tops of some plants,no damage

Edited by Herbal Kint

@mihavid2024 my led is a 465w par+ pro , it's a quantum board style led made by a now sadly defunct site sponsor , ledgrowlights.

If hlg do a 480w q-board it'll be a very similar light to that.

I run that full whack in a 1.2m² tent , I don't really bother dimming, just hang the led high and crank up the lumens :skin_up:

Generally speaking we complain about the lack of i.r heat from LEDs, hence the throwing heat at the plants.