crossing over to the coco side

RUFUS HOUND

@catweazle1 If I could trouble you again 

when prefeeding the coco, do I soak it in the week 1, solution (1ml A + 1ml B + root stim 5ml) or should I half the dose to be on safe side?

chart advises 5ml katana roots in week 1 seedling  - Im going to use seaweed extract instead because I have it going spare.

I was thinking

week 1 seedling  / coco prefeed 

A = 0.5ml/L

B = 0.5ml/L

Seaweed = 2.5ml/L

week 2 seedling

A = 1ml/L

B = 1ml/L

Seaweed = 5ml/L

I will also be using extreme gardening "mykos" for the first time to boos root development - hopefully

large.mykos_edited.jpg

• Like 1

By prefeed, do you mean buffering with nutes before planting? Soak it in full strength nutes for a few hours then run some at the strength suitable for seedlings, which is likely half of what it says on the bottle.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Have you got an ec meter?

yep got EC and ph meters and yes by prefeed  I mean buffering with nutes - sorry not got the terminology yet

by full strength - do you mean full strength at week 1 levels ie  1ml/L of A and B to 1.0/1.2 EC

Ive put 15L of warm tap water in my bin 

added 15ml A + 15ml B 

EC = 1417 uS

TDS = 707 ppm

pH = 7.0

so my EC is over the 1/1.2 EC recommended by chart with just the 1ml/L of A + B cant really add anything else

Would adding more water dilute the mix to give a lower EC ???? 

and what to do with the seaweed if the EC is at max ????

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

Full strength will be in the region of 1.2 to 1.5, depending on the plants requirements and how your environment is. What's you base water ec? I'm finding with LED that, where I used 1.2ec before, I now now need 1.5ec total. My base water is is 0.6-0.7.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

@catweazle1 I get you now, shogun chart recons max EC is 2-2.5 - I dont fancy having the coco that strong 

My tap water = 0.3-0.4

ph 7.0-8.0

my water/feed solution has been stirred to death and left for a few hours and the readings have come down a bit

EC = 975 uS 

TDS = 490

pH = 7.0

so EC is approx 1.0, need to ph down it now - what do you advise somewhere around 6  ???

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

Just now, RUFUS HOUND said:

My tap water = 0.3-0.4

I thought you were hard water? maybe i misread !

what do you advise somewhere around 6  ???

Aim for 6, but if after adding some you're coming out between 6.0 - 6.4 just leave it, as the coco will do the rest of the work (but wont do it all)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

I thought you were hard water? maybe i misread !

Aim for 6, but if after adding some you're coming out between 6.0 - 6.4 just leave it, as the coco will do the rest of the work (but wont do it all)

Hi, thanks for the help.

my water company classes it moderately hard, it has 13:1 cal:mag, we get a bit of lime scale build up in the kettle but I wouldnt say its that bad. maybe just normal lol

After the solution had settled I added 2ml/L seaweed extract, it only added 0.1 to the EC so im happy I got some in the mix for an EC of 1.1

It tested at pH 6.1 so I chucked in the coco .:yep:

soz about all the daft questions - once it do it Im fine, just flap beforehand :bangin:

• Like 1

i would make a stock solution with epsom salts of 250g in 1l water.  Add to nutes by bringing it up 0.1ec by ec meter or add 2ml/L. That'll be your magnesium sorted out. With that, nutes, and adding a ml or two seaweed/L, all you need to do is check your pH.  I use 1ec total to start, then 1.2, then 1.5ec as the plants need it.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

@catweazle1cheers mate, your a star,

did you mean 250g of epsom as thats a lot of epsom in a litre - in soil I use 1g in 3L each feed which seems to keep the mg def at bay

ignore me - I get it now 2ml/L of the stock solution 

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

@catweazle1cheers mate, your a star,

did you mean 250g of epsom as thats a lot of epsom in a litre - in soil I use 1g in 3L each feed which seems to keep the mg def at bay

That 250g/L is what you draw from, 1 or 2ml/L at a time. That's your stock solution. Mix it up and put in a bottle, to be used as and when you require. No need to waste money and buy 'Mono Mg'.  This is quite plainly an attempt to baffle people with sciencey names. Epsom (Mono Mg) is so cheap, and annoys me to see BS stuff like this

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3