Greenhouse Seeds - Let's face it

Amnesialocal

Hi all,

I was a teenager when the white widow won the first cannabis cup.

From there name like Super Silver Haze, super lemon, Exodus Cheese ( which I never tried), Arian short Haze#3, white rhino, etc start spreading in my dreams.

It took me years to have a chance to visit Amsterdam, and more then a decades before I could try to cultivate one myself.

I had chance to meet Franco and share long talks with him in a couple of occasions.

I thought Greenhouse seeds was the best of the best....

Now I am not so convinced.

I am sure they still have strong genetics and although 30 years old some of their genetics are still legendary. 

But after Franco, and with Arian mentality more business oriented and king ego I am not sure about them....

They are not in this forum breeder list and I assume ( as I read) several share similar point of view.

I can be perfectly wrong and there are still genetics in their library that should be considered.

What's your opinion?

I've only ever done one, El Nino, it was a freebie from the Telford Expo. It was really bland, that's all I remember. 

There's too many other breeders out there, if anyone knows anything decent they do i'd give it a go but I wouldn't risk it for no reason, just no point. 

• Like 1

Well, I guess there are much more terrible breeders out there? Or am I wrong?...reading comments around it seems that between: fastbud, rapidgenetics, caliweed, silver leaf, royal queen seeds there are plenty of people buying seeds not knowing neither about the breeders...or Breeders not providing info at all except the seed itself.

Between the above mentioned probably no one is actually a real breeder but bulk seed stokers.

Definitely GH has genetics dated, with also probably THC level quite low ( I don't know).

It's a pity in my opinion...it seems like Kodak or those companies that were very good long time ago, but now they lost the path?

• Like 1

Got a couple of SLH left I'll grow out at some point but they're Fems. Nyeh Honestly lost all trust with 'breeders' and banks. Generally dont believe the garb

I've got more in what is produced here in the subbies. 

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of good feedback on here about Royal Queen Seeds, their Sweet Zkittelz now known as ZZ was the best Zkittelz my mate ever grew.

32 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

I've seen a lot of good feedback on here about Royal Queen Seeds, their Sweet Zkittelz now known as ZZ was the best Zkittelz my mate ever grew.

That could be summed up by 'Someone always wins the lottery'. It is a lottery and price does not indicate potential for success. My personal take is most 'big' breeders seem to have far too many strains on offer for the work needed to make them stable and predictable. That suggests to me much of it is white label seeds packed as original. "Dedicated followers of fashion".  Not much different to a 'fast fashion' clothes firm.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 9

Just now, catweazle1 said:

My personal take is most 'big' breeders seem to have far too many strains on offer for the work needed to make them stable and predictable. That suggests to me much of it is white label seeds packed as original.

Yeah, I agree. But I picked up White Label Bubblegum seeds (Sensi Seeds) circa 2000 & I wish I had kept a few cuttings. Scratchcard came in!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

That could be summed up by 'Someone always wins the lottery'. It is a lottery and price does not indicate potential for success. My personal take is most 'big' breeders seem to have far too many strains on offer for the work needed to make them stable and predictable. That suggests to me much of it is white label seeds packed as original. "Dedicated followers of fashion".  Not much different to a 'fast fashion' clothes firm.

While that is a "state the obvious" thing to say about the canna market as a whole, It's definitely worth looking at if people on here seem hold them specifically in such high regard.

Edited by Military Grade
spelling
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

While that is a "state the obvious" thing to say about the canna market as a whole, It's definitely worth looking at if people on here seem hold them specifically in such high regard.

I agree, it's a possible clue, but having grown  quite few, my salt pot is close to hand. It's not just that, it's understanding the motives of people, how genetics actually works (how long it takes) and getting the sense of the potential for finding nice seeds. I don't think the odds are very good.

Edited by catweazle1
Added
  • Like 3

This is very much an opinion of mine so disclaimer; no solid facts.

Arjan seems very brand-oriented, and being the "king" of cannabis just remind me of my graffiti days when people would say they're all city, or king of a train yard. It doesn't mean shit lol

Its a shame cos I used to love watching their strain hunter videos on YouTube. Now they're better with the volume down. I get the feeling from how he talks to locals he has a very 'plant my flag' attitude. That and the token gifts that are given. Seeing him get bushman growers in branded tops just makes my liver twist lol 

"So where did you guys get the first REAL high grade seeds from?" Mate.. Your genetics wouldn't even exist without the Durbans, Himalayan indicas, etc. And talking with such sadness that the local mainstay genetics have washed out his, bruv that's what they're meant to do.

I dunno, like they say opinions are like arseholes, everyone's stinks to someone else but his reeks to me.

Saying that and it isn't just cos he's passed on, Franco struck me as a bit more appreciative and invested

• Like 1

Shite arse company , went around collecting landraces from farmers then gave them fems etc polluting the original fields with herms etc wankers 

• Like 14

IMO they got to comfy as a leading name in Cannabis seeds, thought that may have been enough to get them through the upcoming competition. It didn't.

Cannabis speaks for itself, growers share real time fact about what they get. So when older seedbanks start to believe people will turn down higher THC and newer flavours etc out of loyalty or fear of an unknown brand / breeder thjey came unstuck.

Short story is that in business (and I'm afraid thats what it is to the vast majority of breeders) if you dont keep up with the times and current flows your doomed to fail.

• Like 4