Ditching the bulbs for LED's

Lemonaze#

Migros are solid anyway ime.....I liked the old design a little better if im honest.....

But the new ones have funky colours on them lol.....I got one of them as well lol 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lemonaze# said:

You mention 600w being a bit skimpy for the size tent I have yet 600w is the wattage that comes up consistently for that size tent, that's why I chose 600w in the first place after all I'd read and what power is most suitable to that size. I checked it, double checked it and then checked it again, where did I go wrong?:wallbash: 

I think they simply ment your 600W HPS is undersized for you tent , where as 500W LED would be better.

have a gander at this https://migrolight.com/blogs/grow-light-reviews/the-best-value-grow-light-for-a-4-x-4-grow-tent

• Like 1

Just now, zen-ken said:

did they just chuck it in ?

Not sure, I guess the economic climate was a large part of it...someone will know the gory details...:yep:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lemonaze# said:

You mention 600w being a bit skimpy for the size tent I have yet 600w is the wattage that comes up consistently for that size tent, that's why I chose 600w in the first place after all I'd read and what power is most suitable to that size. I checked it, double checked it and then checked it again, where did I go wrong?:wallbash: 

I am pretty sure 50w per square foot used to be well known to be the recommended amount for HPS (not LEDs)...maybe it's changed or I am remembering wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lemonaze# said:

Do drivers still fail a lot or has this become a thing of the past with new tech? On reading about LED's and drivers etc, it talks a lot about them failing. I've whittled it down to either an AC Infinity Ionframe EVO6 with their controller 69, and a Lumatek Zeus Pro 600w, not sure about a controller though as they're another £300 on top whereas the AC Infinity controller is way below £100. Anyone know what that huge difference is all about?

You can run the Lumatek's off the AC Infinity Controllers with a adaptor cable for about £15.99, along with the Migro Aray's, All look decent tho

• Like 1

Just now, Satchitananda said:

I am pretty sure 50w per square foot used to be well known to be the recommended amount for HPS (not LEDs)...maybe it's changed or I am remembering wrong.

I have noticed that different sites will tell you different things when I was first getting all my equipment together. Firstly I decided on my tent size in accordance with how much I wanted to grow (4 plants comfortably in 1.2 x 1.2) and then went from there working out the ideal power of lighting for that size etc etc and all online research. You're not the only person that's ever said that to be fair there's been a couple of others too. Surely stepping up to 1000w in a tent that size though would be asking for trouble? I'm no pro though and my experience is on research and reading only so I'm always glad of the pointers. Thanks dude

Edited by Lemonaze#
  • Like 2

Just now, Lemonaze# said:

(4 plants comfortably in 1.2 x 1.2)

If i had a tent that big i'd run more than 4 plants just to bring the veg time down.

• Like 1

Just now, Military Grade said:

If i had a tent that big i'd run more than 4 plants just to bring the veg time down.

Yeah I believe more would work in a tent that size. You say you'd put more in to bring the veg time down, how does that work? I am more under the impression that less plants will have the full benefit of the all the light and veg better all round. Are you referring to the fact that with more plants it won't let them get too big but have a better canopy?

@Lemonaze#

You can fill a canopy quicker with more plants than with less plants and having to veg them for longer to fill the same canopy space. :yep:

For example my grow before last i grew 2 plants in a 60x60 and was able to fill the whole canopy with exactly 4 weeks vegs from seed. But when i do a single plant it can take 6-8 weeks veg time to fill that same size canopy.

2 plants 60x60, 4 weeks veg from seed

large.20230606_234835.gif

large.20230607_000126.jpglarge.20230606_235246.jpg

One plant in a 60x60, 8 weeks veg from seed

large.20230206_194857.jpglarge.20230206_194705.jpg

And the 2 plant grow filled more jars than the one plant grow did, i hope that help you visual it better :yep:

Just to add, this would work even better with clones

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

If I had a tent that big I'd run a second veg tent.

Less plants = better airflow

I've had the same yield in a 1 x 1 from 3, 4 or 5 plants scrogging.

I've seen other dudes achieve the same yield from just one plant, well vegged, stalk thicker than a Clipper, and well LST'd

@Lemonaze#

You can fill a canopy quicker with more plants than with less plants and having to veg them for longer to fill the same canopy space. :yep:

For example my grow before last i grew 2 plants in a 60x60 and was able to fill the whole canopy with exactly 4 weeks vegs from seed. But when i do a single plant it can take 6-8 weeks veg time to fill that same size canopy.

2 plants 60x60, 4 weeks veg from seed

large.20230606_234835.gif

large.20230607_000126.jpglarge.20230606_235246.jpg

One plant in a 60x60, 8 weeks veg from seed

large.20230206_194857.jpglarge.20230206_194705.jpg

And the 2 plant grow filled more jars than the one plant grow did, i hope that help you visual it better :yep:

Just to add, this would work even better with clones

I get you now, more plants is about filling the canopy much quicker. You guys certainly know your stuff fair play, thanks for explaining that to me. I'm an over thinker big time and always backwards and forwards in my head. Basically I just need to get a grow on and learn properly now. I'll have an LED unit by weekend so I'll be good to go at some point over weekend, god help you guys with my questions haha:skin_up:

• Like 1

Just now, Zipster said:

Less plants = better airflow

I've had the same yield in a 1 x 1 from 3, 4 or 5 plants scrogging.

I've seen other dudes achieve the same yield from just one plant, well vegged, stalk thicker than a Clipper, and well LST'd

Dude stop, my head can't cope hahaha

Just now, Zipster said:

That also means more electricity, tho saying that i also have two tents running so i can't judge lol