Ditching the bulbs for LED's

Lemonaze#

Do drivers still fail a lot or has this become a thing of the past with new tech? On reading about LED's and drivers etc, it talks a lot about them failing. I've whittled it down to either an AC Infinity Ionframe EVO6 with their controller 69, and a Lumatek Zeus Pro 600w, not sure about a controller though as they're another £300 on top whereas the AC Infinity controller is way below £100. Anyone know what that huge difference is all about?

I don't think you need a 600w LED to replace a 600w HPS. How big is your grow space? People can recommend LED's based on that.

If I was you I would just use the HPS for now, this is your first grow(?), lash out the cash on LED's down the road.

Ive been running my cheapo chinese led boards for 2 years solid and not had a driver fail. I do have a fan playing on the drivers which helps dissipate the heat (mine operate about 50'C and the boards run at about 30'C.

one thing you will need is a heat source as leds dont give off much heat and you want 26'C min temps with them - 28'C is better:smokin:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Satchitananda said:

I don't think you need a 600w LED to replace a 600w HPS. How big is your grow space? People can recommend LED's based on that.

Grow space is 1.2 x 1.2 X 2.0.

Main reason for changing my mind is the whole bulb thing, heat, fire risk, an awful lot of bits and pieces compared to one unit in LED form, plus I have my son with me and I'd never forgive myself should a fire ever break out. I'm not so bothered about splashing out because this will be something I will carry on due to health reasons, I need a good clean supply instead of using PGR grown shite or oils and edibles with f#£# knows what they put in it. I'd rather f##k my own up than line the pockets of street boys that don't care what they're selling you. I noticed the AC Infinity at 500w replaces a 600w HID set up if I've read right.

Edited by Lemonaze#
  • Like 1

Just now, RUFUS HOUND said:

one thing you will need is a heat source as leds dont give off much heat and you want 26'C min temps with them - 28'C is better:smokin:

I guess it must be down to heat dissipation as to how long they last then, with yours having a fan on it I'm guessing that's what's looked after it a little. 

I've factored in extra heating and have been looking at heat tubes and a mat for under the plants also. I didn't actually know about this until the other day though. Thanks dude 

• Like 1

Just now, Lemonaze# said:

Grow space is 1.2 x 1.2 X 2.0.

Main reason for changing my mind is the whole bulb thing, heat, fire risk, an awful lot of bits and pieces compared to one unit in LED form, plus I have my son with me and I'd never forgive myself should a fire ever break out. I'm not so bothered about splashing out because this will be something I will carry on due to health reasons, I need a good clean supply instead of using PGR grown shite or oils and edibles with f#£# knows what they put in it. I'd rather f##k my own up than line the pockets of street boys that don't care what they're selling you. I noticed the AC Infinity at 500w replaces a 600w set up of I've read right.

600w HPS is a bit skimpy for that size tent, you should aim for 50w (of HPS) per square foot and that only gives you 37.5...

check this out

https://migrolight.com/blogs/grow-light-reviews/the-best-value-grow-light-for-a-4-x-4-grow-tent

The 500w AC Infinity would probably be quite good for that size actually, but there's a lot of others too. If you have the cash, go for it. :) 

Edited by Satchitananda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemonaze# said:

Do drivers still fail a lot or has this become a thing of the past with new tech? On reading about LED's and drivers etc, it talks a lot about them failing. I've whittled it down to either an AC Infinity Ionframe EVO6 with their controller 69, and a Lumatek Zeus Pro 600w, not sure about a controller though as they're another £300 on top whereas the AC Infinity controller is way below £100. Anyone know what that huge difference is all about?

You're getting confused (with all due respect) I think......the driver will come with the LED fixture

Ive been using some of them for over three years non stop and never had a driver fail..........(I hope) lol 

20 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

You're getting confused (with all due respect) I think......the driver will come with the LED fixture

Ive been using some of them for over three years non stop and never had a driver fail..........(I hope) lol 

Yeah it's all good, I probably should have explained that better. I was confused at first with regards to the drivers but after some reading I now understand that they come with the unit but can also come separately too. Then I went on to controllers as I'd like to also purchase a controller for controlling lights, fans, extraction and heating etc. 

1 hour ago, Satchitananda said:

600w HPS is a bit skimpy for that size tent, you should aim for 50w (of HPS) per square foot and that only gives you 37.5...

check this out

https://migrolight.com/blogs/grow-light-reviews/the-best-value-grow-light-for-a-4-x-4-grow-tent

The 500w AC Infinity would probably be quite good for that size actually, but there's a lot of others too. If you have the cash, go for it. :) 

You mention 600w being a bit skimpy for the size tent I have yet 600w is the wattage that comes up consistently for that size tent, that's why I chose 600w in the first place after all I'd read and what power is most suitable to that size. I checked it, double checked it and then checked it again, where did I go wrong?:wallbash: 

Edited by Lemonaze#

29 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

Shane gets paid for his reviews now.....Id factor that in when reading his latest material :yep:

I'm going to have a good read of this now, I believe we get discount on these too don't we?

• Like 1

Just now, Lemonaze# said:

I'm going to have a good read of this now, I believe we get discount on these too don't we?

Not sure bro....Im sure dialaduck (ledgrowlights) will hook you up with a discount tho if you ask him nicely :yep:

Just now, zen-ken said:

dialaduck (ledgrowlights)

He's gone bud...bloody shame, they produced good stuff, still using mine no probs.

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

He's gone bud...bloody shame, they produced good stuff, still using mine no probs.

Shit.....I have been MIA this year lol ......bloody parents .....messing up my grows with their bloody funerals lollol 

(glad I can laugh about this now.....my god I miss them.....)

What happened ? did they just chuck it in ?

• Like 2