DWC Vs RH?

Chal

9 hours ago, Chal said:

Sorry, Ken. Disappeared for a minute there. Was just checking out what R DWC was. Then, creatures supper time.

Yeah; Dunno where ye got the idea I was looking for 'plug 'n play'? (Old mate did start calling me " Inspector Gadget " though! Never was sure why!) No, like I say, I'm just happier that we can now buy things that take all the old witchcraft out of shit.

I'd have a nervous breakdown, trying to Feel the soil, like I used to. All that Eye and Judgement shit. Nah! I'll go with Meters and Probes :yep:  Let Gear take away the Guess work. That's all I'm after.

I won't be off to Mexico. Only leave this place for a few hours a week, truth be told. And I like Routine :)  I have a clip board and safety glasses. I can soon grab a white hard hat and coat, off Amazon. Then I'll be all set, look.

Spend my days and night making on the dot patrols. Tapping things with my pen and jotting shit down on my board. Like I say; I can Do that. Keep a beady eye on what control panels are telling me. Alter anything that calls for it.

I guess, basically, I want to take the Judgement out of it. I don't Want to have to (re)develop a Feel for the plant. My thumbs are as they are. I don't aspire, or Want, to become a 'Master Craftsman Of The Weed'. Calling newcomers 'Grasshopper'. I just want to follow a list of proven instructions. A, B, C, Dope plant :D

I've done my time. Looked into what's going on, today. Watched how the politics shifts and who we're mean't to sneer at. I don't let being sneered at eat me up. The bucket of dirt boys look down on the buckets of water. Auto plants?! Well, dear god! That's hardly worthy of being Called 'Growing'!

Is This the face of a worried man? :B):

I have a fucking great barrel here too, as it happens. Should I ever decide to try adding that R to my DWC. I checked R DWC. On the face of it then? The exact same buckets as I have one of. Only, ye have to have six or a dozen of them. All linked together. And, as ye say, a fucking great barrel.

Interestingly; I Have this FGB because I used to drink. And, following the same instinct that brought me to where I am now, I decided: Fuck this! I'll produce my own beer. And I did. But, never mind all that 'Sparging ye wort' and waffling on about grain, shit. I looked for the quick and, relatively, simple route.

I then worked at simplifying That. Blah, blah, blah.  What I produced, and the way I produced it became the stuff of legend. There's a thread, the size of a small forum, dedicated to it, to this day, as far as I'm aware.

But, that FGB: I got that because it occurred to me how handy it might be to knock up like Several kits as once. Save repeating the same old rigmarole, five gallons at a time. Do fifty, all at once! ;)

Then, it hit me. Fuck up five gallons? Boo hoo! Sling it down the drain and be more careful next time. Fuck up Fifty?! Kill ye fucking self! :rofl:

And That's a very large part indeed of why I'm working on such a small scale. One bucket. Dinky little tent. Using about the Least intuitive method out there. Only, backed up by all the knobs and whistles I can find.

I want to be a Machine Minder, mate. Not a Master Grower. And there's a world of people out there, doing it, in the sort of bucket I have. Only, without half the back up kit. Now, I'm gonna have a go. Only thing that's stood in my way, thus far, has been this Fucking RH question.

Now the good peeps of here have talked me through that? I just need to buy the rest of the gear to take any remaining guess work out of it. Then, I'll follow the well trodden path I've been watching others tread.

One plant, Ken. One little plant at a time shall have My undivided attention. Backed up by a bank of automation and alarm systems.

How many flies?

In that case.......welcome to the dark art of pure water culture :starwars:

She can be a cruel, yet very rewarding mistress.....

large.recommendations-graph-and-chart-2017-1024x743.jpg

This is an older feeding chart from CCH20....the new one is not much different tbh

• Like 1

Yeah.Right sort of fish tank heater though, eh, Stu! :mmmmmmm: Just so happens that I've been field trialling a new one, for Amazon? New kid on the block thing. Chink, obviously.

Small, round thing. Like a little ice hockey puck? Has the temp displayed on it. Nice LED display. Then, it has a control fob, on the lead out. Little display on there too. Good, eh?

Only, I have it in less than three gallons of water. Set it to 77F, the other day. Up from 75F.

All was fine, for a couple of days. Now? Stubbornly sitting at 75.3 and will not / cannot move! I know this is right, because both Its displays and my Inkbird are telling me so.

It's fucked. And, I suspect, the only thing saving my Bullfrog from an icy grave, in there, is the fact that I'm a nasty, distrustful old bastard who's left Two heaters in there! The back up one set to the lower temp!

See? Perfect illustration of my obsession with gadgetry over senses. Now, translate shit like this to a plant! Pot or reservoir. If a heater goes haywire?

Electrickery can be a gamble. But, I've learned to load my dice. Hagen / Fluval man, myself. You?

Just now, Chal said:

Hagen / Fluval man, myself. You?

I with @stu914 on this one......Eheim for the win.....pumps, heaters, powerhead etc......

The germans still make the best clobber.....the Italian Newa replacement I got cause it was cheaper has already started fucking whinging at me....

In this game I will never make a truer statement than this one......'buy cheap, buy twice'.....

• Like 2

Just now, zen-ken said:

In that case.......welcome to the dark art of pure water culture :starwars:

This is an older feeding chart from CCH20....the new one is not much different tbh

Thanks, Ken! :yep: I've chored that chart and shall add it to my charts and graphs collection, to examine at my leisure ~ when I re-emerge from the depths of my stable.

I'd chuck in a more suitably on side come back too. Only, I wouldn't have a clue how. I've honestly never seen a single Star Wars film in my life! :D

• Like 1

Getting the thread back on course and back to the original subject matter.....

Humidity...

I like a Meaco.....fucking thing is bullet proof.....I set fire to my space (my fault...didnt put a Jakey out properly) ...and it still works....the ABC range is fine here....shop around....I found a brand new one on flea bay for half the price :yep:

The 'silent-ish' fans are still going strong....it must be over two years non stop now @stu914 isn't it? ....I have two 1056's, a 650 and a 360.

One of them refuses to move properly....but it has been chewing on stray leafs for two years lol 

• Like 1

Just now, zen-ken said:

Eheim for the win.

I've Really gotta go and cut some 2x's. Haven't got time to check. But; Was it not Eheim who made the Solid Slab type heaters? Dial on the top front. " Aquael " was the name on the box. I soon learned to use those over Any brand in a glass tube!

Fermented my beer in stainless steel buckets (Shiny! :D) Glass ones only had to See that steel and they'd stick the nut on it and die! Seriously! I was getting through a thirty quid heater every few months! Fuck That!

Only, now, it seems another well known) name has taken over the slab ones. I can't remember the details, off hand. Sure Eheim's floating around in there, somewhere though :unsure:

Got a Common Snapper here, Ken. Bastard's a cracking little kit tester! :dev:

• Like 1

Just now, zen-ken said:

Meaco.....

But, how do ye find they truly handle being controlled, mate? Bloke, on Amazon, explained it all in some detail. How they, basically, power down. Wait. Then start up again, of their own volition.

Again; Haven't got the details to mind, this instant. Really must get out of this chair. But, yeah: Everyone swears by Meaco. I dug like a badger on sniff and unearthed enough niggling concerns that I never just rushed out and bought one.

Kept digging and found here, made this post, as it happens! :D Now don't tell me I've come full bloody circle! :rofl:

Right; Back, later, lads. Got a roof to put on!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chal said:

But, how do ye find they truly handle being controlled, mate? Bloke, on Amazon, explained it all in some detail. How they, basically, power down. Wait. Then start up again, of their own volition.

Doesn't need controlling tbh.....set the RH% to about 15-20% lower than you want the tent (in flower)......the unit will kick in and out to maintain it....

a word of warning

This type of dehumidifier will raise temperatures to the tune of 3C plus...depending on the size and will only reduce the RH by 10-15%...again...size dependant. 

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

.it must be over two years non stop now

Three years end of January '24...feck me, doesn't time fly?...(about time I gave it a clean...:wassnnme::rofl:)

@Chal

The first meaco silent fan I had was faulty but they replaced it even before I sent the original back and as above, it's still going strong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zen-ken said:

This type of dehumidifier will raise temperatures to the tune of 3C plus...depending on the size and will only reduce the RH by 10-15%...again...size dependant. 

O Kayyy ..... Now; Would the extractor fan ~ coupled to a Controller ~ be expected to suck any surplus hot air out? (Presumably while handling any Dehu to keep balance?)

I mean, what ever; I'm sold on that Controller and hell bent on getting it. It can even handle shit while I'm asleep, look! Sleep damn well! :D

Sorry, Ken. I've come back in here at the wrong end of my day now. Had a Hell of a day, down the stables. Worked myself to a standstill. Now, I'm completely shattered and not exactly at my sharpest.

What I'll have to do, look ~ should've done it long ago! Is dig out that blokes Amazon review. I know it was a Meaco. Probably pin it down to one or two models. I'll find it. It'll fit in really well here. Give us all something to go on, rather than my own, vague doubts, based on it ~ or what little I remember of it.

Try to do that, tomorrow. Cracking breakdown of what he'd fathomed about it. Think it might have been more about the lie of their economy, rather than anything wrong with what they can Do; As long as we don't care what it's costing us.

• Like 1

Just now, Chal said:

Sorry, Ken. I've come back in here at the wrong end of my day now. Had a Hell of a day, down the stables. Worked myself to a standstill. Now, I'm completely shattered and not exactly at my sharpest.

I know the feeling......my medication is starting to kick in now so my heads not in the game....

Catch up tomorrow 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stu914 said:

The first meaco silent fan I had was faulty but they replaced it ...

I don't think anyone on the planet's disputing their Build quality or Service, Goatster.

Best I can do is to use my 'Dimming Thermostat' I used with my creatures. (Forgive me, if ye know exactly what they are. But, for the gallery ...) It'd throttle back the Power being fed to the 'heater' (Incandescent light bulb, in my case) as the required temp was approached. Result being, I'd end up with a barely glowing bulb, in a toasty warm tank.

Now, That, clearly, saves money at the meter. I think Amazon mans niggle was that the Meaco's can't do that. Or do something similar, Badly.

As saying to Ken; I'll track down that review and present it here. We can all have a look at it :yep:

• Like 2

Here we go, lads! I've barely glanced at it myself ~ tonight. Going down like a ton of bricks, here, frankly. But, here's the report that I keep referring to ~ With credit to Major Tom and Mr D. Johnson:

" Don't be fooled by low energy, i got this to replace an old Blyss dehumidifier which consumed around 350 - 400 wats of electric, seeing this only using 255 wats thinking great ideal replacement will save some energy cost, now i will tell you how the machines both work differently & how that affects things. The old machine i had would run with pump going till it got humidity to target then it would switch into fan only mode keeping the fan running & keeping the air flowing until the humidity got high enough to activate the pump again, now what this new machine from Meaco does is runs the pump till it eventually gets to target humidity level & then after about 5-10 mins the fan & everything shuts down for 30 minutes & then comes back on & if after this time it detects humidity above target level ( which it always does ) the pump starts running again for at least another 30 mins to an hour maybe more depending how high the humidity has gone up & the reason it does this is because due to the full machine fan & everything shutting down for 30 mins it's not keeping the air flowing around the machine & this allows humidity on the machines sensor to build up higher than the target level & always takes a good 30 minutes or more of the machine running with pump going to settle again so if you the take into account that the old machine would run maybe 7 hours/day in pumping mode & run most of the rest of the day in fan only mode (fan only mode only used about 30 wats ) compared to this machine will run about 7 hours in pumping mode when humidity is high & then will also spend the rest of the day keep running pump & everything for at least 30-60 minutes every day meaning this machine is ending up running for a minimum of 12-14 hours in full power mode consuming 255 watts for that time meaning that if i kept this machine running 24 hours like I did with the old machine that this machine would actually end up using a lot more energy/24 hours than the old machine, I find the only way to keep any costs down with this machine is to run it for only 7-8 hours/day & have it turned off the rest of the time, so far humidity don't seem to be building too high using it this way, only time will tell but i can also say that my old machine would easily get humidity down to 55% whereas this machine will not achieve that & I've had to settle for having it at 60% & i also think that is to do with the fact that this machine uses less power so therefor isn't capable of the same result. All in all, it's keeping humidity down & saving on costs a little the way I've had to end up using it but i was hopeful it'd run the same way as the old machine & use less power. "

Let's see what we all make of that, tomorrow. Before I march, determinedly, back down to that bloody stable!

• Like 1

Morning, lads ~ what's left of it.

Just grabbed a quick bit of research. " MeacoDry Arete One 25L " has caught my, somewhat jaded, eye. Needs the badger yet though.

Seem to have picked up that Blyss (Now?) do the compressor ones? Crafty check of Ken's chart shows one of those would operate alright, at growing temps. Inside the tent.

What I must do is go get that square bucket of mine and plonk it in the tent. See if it gives me ant wiggle room to get a DeHu in beside it. Cos, one's certainly not going elsewhere, in there!

Right: Stables!

• Like 1

On 20/10/2023 at 0:07 PM, Chal said:

Inside the tent.

I wouldn't......I think they are best in the 'lung' room or just connect the bad boy to the intake

:yep:

• Like 1