Fast strains?

David Attenborough

On 26/09/2023 at 8:13 PM, OldFord said:

Im also leaning towards the fact most are prob developed either in warm sunny climates or in labs under optimum conditions ... Not outdoors here in the UK.   

I think this is a good point: to think about what conditions the plants traits were were selected for, and whether we can supply similar conditions for them to express in a similar way to the breeder's description. I'm guessing much of the seeds are actually white label from growers in Spain.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, brock1 said:

A fast version is a remarked semi auto. A photo x auto. It in simple terms is a photonutral......

Is an 'early' version on the same lines?

5 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Is an 'early' version on the same lines?

In most cases no it not. It a F1 hybrid only half of the line used. In a few cases they try to match up parents but not as often as you would think & that's not often. Fast version is nothing more than a hybrid of a strain x auto strain. Most strains are not even that. They are hybrids to start with. They not faster in flowering time in a lot of cases because their breed using modern auto hybrids that were breed to the sativa side to be bigger auto's. Fast version is a tag put on a F1 cross. These are only faster if grown outdoor in a lot of cases. I made my first so called fast version in 2003 & grow it out in 2004 long before most seedbanks even know this was a thing only we called them semi auto. The only difference today is seedbanks started labeling F1 as fast versions because this generation as no auto phenos.

• Like 1

I apologise if I seem out of a little angry in my posting. I am very tired & mentally messed up right now hence I haven't been posting much. I have stuff going on in my personal life right now. Maybe 1 day it will be legal in the UK & I can post a Video or something going into detail about auto's & their use in crosses with a little histrionic infomercial. It would be a lot easier than a man with poor vision & sausage fingers typing on his phone :hippy: anyway its time for work. No rest for the wicked. 

• Like 8

@brock1I doubt anyone takes you wrong dude. You don't share your knowledge to be arrogant, and typing on a keyboard often distorts your intended context. Get yourself well mate. You've got all the love and support from the folks here..... rest up and bless up

• Like 4

I grew out HSO Ice Cream Cake Fast it did just as described lost about 10% to rot it's a really nice smoke will be growing more of it and some of there other fast versions 

• Like 3

I've done the Ev version of Lord Kush (freebies) and I couldn't knock it, it's lovely weed. Managed to run it from cut a few times, but you can certainly see you won't be keeping a mom from it. The first one I did only managed 2 more runs from cut then it wouldn't stay in veg. It's not even very fast so if I order some it will be the normal version.

One of the strains I like is called sexbud (shit name I know) but that's a photoxauto so again keeping mothers seems to be a no no. I did managed to keep one once, but it was nothing like the normal plants I usually get when I run that strain.

• Like 2

Anyone done any of these, how long did they take to flower?

Green Poison F1 Fast Version (Sweet Seeds)

Afghan Delicious Fast Version (Sweet Seeds)

Killer Kush F1 Fast Version (Sweet Seeds)

Afghan Kush Early Version (World of Seeds)

Been on a long run of 11+ weekers and just want one to finish in 9 for a change lol

• Like 4

@Military Grade     Only outdoors mate sorry.   

The  GP ....so called fast version was about 9 days behind the fem GP  lol    

The SAD  .... so called fast version was wispy / fluffy and an insult to the good fem SAD's name  :wub:      

I dumped  all the fast in the cooking bags as wouldnt lower standards  to jar it up.

But i wouldnt discourage you lol  lol       As it was across a 3 + 1 free  pack of each and outdoors  ,  you may get lucky indoors. 

Would love to see how they fare indoors !!

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 5

@Military Grade

ive run Green poison Fv 

& Killer Kush Fv off that list

But only run those ones outdoors. But have run Tropicana Poison Fv & Red Mandarin Fv indoors and outtdoors

as well as Guerrilla Girl Fv outdoors  

certainly I think they are a bit quicker. Certainly than 11 weeks. Prob 8 or 9 I should think. Even though they advertise some of them as like 6 weeks or something isn’t it… 

but yea as me and @OldFord have discussed many times about the sweet seeds fasts the Terps and flavours tend to be a bit lacking than many full photoperiods.

personally I think they can be a useful tool for outdoor. I utilised a few Tropicana Poison out again this season. They are all down now..The Trichomes are insane on that one. Heavy frosting 

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 4

I've understood it to be what brock is describing, if I'm understanding him correctly. 

Fast essentially is Semi-auto.  The flower onset is faster than a standard photo strain, but not necessarily the total flower time.   

So a true auto will initiate flower under 24 hours.  A Fast strain may initiate flower at 16 hours light while the standard photo strain may initiate at 12 ( or more likely begin to initiate at something like 13.5 hours.  Whatever...)

I have seen this be beneficial in a commercial sense.  Folks in warm climates will run semi-auto plants and use supplemental lighting to keep them in 16+ hours of light even when its dark out.  This lets them extend the veg period into the later months and, because their climate is warm, they can then flower the plants well into November/December.  Makes for a longer veg, bigger veg plant, more yield. 

Personally, I don't see the point in growing them on a small scale, outdoors, unless your climate starts getting cold and shitty earlier in the season than most places. 

They just seem to be usable for setting flowers earlier than normal, really.  that's my take on them. 

• Like 1

The biggest headache and unattractive trait i found with the majority of numerous breeders fv's is the stuttering and stalling .... they seem to get going then do feck all then get moving again.

Poss a trait under outdoor non ideal conditions ??    I honestly can t say. 

As @Erbman T states ,  i find the terp profile to be quite off the mark as opposed to the fem namesake.

As i said earlier in the thread ,  run what you fancy , place your money where you wish and show us all how you get on :yep:

I got some real frowned up bits i want to play with next year .... first hand is the only true fact finder :yep:

And as all our Grooms & outdoor micro climates are diff  ,  what works for one may not for another :george:      Grow wah tyou fancy

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 3

On 29/09/2023 at 10:51 PM, brock1 said:

A fast version is a remarked semi auto. A photo x auto. It in simple terms is a photonutral. I would pull the scientific data but its really getting boaring now. Its the result of the combining of a health gene & a mutation. Have you ever kept 1 around for years? Of course not because they eventually auto with age if their made with mites mite, lowryder, viking, ect. They certainly are not photoperiod strains & you pretty foolish to think so. The auto mutation gene is dominant over any photoperiod strain. The only reason a fast version doesn't flower is because it as a dominant mutation (auto) going through multiplication but also a recessive (photo) gene doing the exact same thing through hybridisation. But I can 100% say they are not photoperiod.  Honestly the amount of times I have shown this its utter disgraceful people are still saying this shit. I will put my head on the block on this.:execute: prove what your saying & I will prove you wrong because this is becoming annoying I have been posting this with the relovevent scientific documentation since 2006 :wallbash:

prove me wrong? i had a green poison fv for around 22 months and a killer kush for around the 18 months

i get that some do auto as ive seen it on here but ive never had it happen out of loads of plants

• Like 1

I’ve just finished some Sugar Black Rose fv, which I kept in veg for months, took and rooted lots of cuttings, no problem, they took 55 days from flip to finish, not exactly fast

The only drawback is that I can taste the difference between them and the fv has that auto twang 

• Like 3