Fast strains?

David Attenborough

What are your views on fast strains? I am reading a lot about them being photos crossed with autos to get lower flowering periods and as a result the buds are lighter, airy , low taste and smell etc etc, is this true?

Some photo are just faster than others without having any ruderalis influence.

Garden of Green Larry lemon o.g was one i ran that was noticeably faster than most things when i ran it , fully cooked and flushed by flowering day 55.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I did a ‘quick’ plant once. Turned out a full auto. In the bumpf they’re literally shaving a week off the time. If you’re prepared to wait 7 weeks then what’s another week or two. It’s some shit some fanny has come up with to trick people. Autos are the same. People think they’re quicker and, this is my interpretation, Auto makes it sound like it does it all its sen when they’re actually lickle big girls blouses. Outdoors I get it but autos/quick plants indoors. Meh …

• Like 3

Thats the thing, I am growing Bruce Banner 3 fast by OSS and with an 8 week flowering period I dont see what is overly fast about it, I can only see one grow diary from last year which seemed to turn out Ok but I am worried that I might end up with big fluffy crappy buds and a leccy bill that could have grown something else.

• Like 1

My understanding is that "fast" strains, being generally crosses of a reliable outdoor auto strain (as in, what flowers on its own in June at 60°N and up), are mostly just faster in the sense that they'll put out first hairs sooner in 12/12 (if going from 18/6) so the indoor grower would shave some 4-5 days off a run. It's also plausible that a "fast" strain would have its speed from its autoflower heritage so they'd be more on the sativa end despite finishing in 8 weeks, where an ordinary photo 8 week strain would be mostly indica.

That's the reasoning I went with picking Think Fast for the current run, anyway. No real experience in that regard quite yet.

• Like 1

I've just harvested a Real Gorilla Seeds Fast Lemon Cake and can assure anyone whos considering it, that there's nothing light or airy about the buds.

That being said,.. I'm not sure if 170 days from seed to harvest would be considered fast in an indoor environment? :hippy:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, latitude54 said:

170 days

24.2 weeks that , that's 5 and a half months.

Edited by BilgePump
  • Like 2

Had some tasty and potent fast versions but not able to compare to photoperiod versions as not tried them (not always available) .

But here's my issue with them  (and I'm happy to be corrected if I've got this wrong!)

- Each batch of seeds is unique to the auto that was used in the cross and when that 'batch' has been made it can't be exactly replicated by the next lot due to needing input from a new auto , as they cant be mothered .

As I say , I stand to be corrected , but my experience is that I'm getting something different each time.

• Like 2

A fast version is just a auto x photo. It as absolutely nothing to do with the flowering time being faster. It simply means it will be more photo sensitive & start flowering earlier then the original outdoor. Infact the thing is a fast version can increase flowering times. :hippy:

• Like 3

I have tried numerous and ran side by side of the same namesake fem alternative  , nothing consistent or good enough enough /  end results wouldnt not sway me away from fems.

Im also leaning towards the fact most are prob developed either in warm sunny climates or in labs under optimum conditions ... Not outdoors here in the UK.   

As im a fan of running what you fancy ,  i encourage you to spread your bets and try even the odds by running  fems, autos , fast and regs :yep:  

Run what takes your fancy ... its the only way to find out 1st hand and share iyour findings with us :george:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

24.2 weeks that , that's 5 and a half months.

thf I planted mine out quite early (probably why it ended up at about 8-9ft tall) lol

And I've still got photos planted at the same time that are a good few weeks away.

Edited by latitude54
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, OldFord said:

Run what takes your fancy ... its the only way to find out 1st hand and share iyour findings with us :george:

Nail... Head... You just hit that fucker buddy. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bulldogbill91 said:

I've got 10 fast seed gonna pop soon didn't realise they were fast just liked the name of strain crazy roses - eleven roses x maf only noticed when I brought them home. Are yours in flower at the moment ? Thinking twice now after reading this lol 

1.5 weeks into flower , not doing too bad, 4 ish weeks in veg from seed, Im hoping for 90 days seed to harvest. Its a first grow so nothing to compare with.

They are growing fast though, from this ,

large.WP_20230907_18_22_18_Pro.jpg

To this in only 19 days.

large.WP_20230926_13_10_51_Pro.jpg

Edited by David Attenborough
  • Like 7

On 26/09/2023 at 7:40 PM, brock1 said:

A fast version is just a auto x photo. It as absolutely nothing to do with the flowering time being faster. It simply means it will be more photo sensitive & start flowering earlier then the original outdoor. Infact the thing is a fast version can increase flowering times. :hippy:

they start flowering when it hits 12/12 as its a photo

99% of the time its a photo strain that they want to shave a week or 2 off the flower so they mix it with an auto

they dont take an auto strain they like and breed in a photo to make it photo

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, greenvigilante said:

they start flowering when it hits 12/12 as its a photo

99% of the time its a photo strain that they want to shave a week or 2 off the flower so they mix it with an auto

they dont take an auto strain they like and breed in a photo to make it photo

A fast version is a remarked semi auto. A photo x auto. It in simple terms is a photonutral. I would pull the scientific data but its really getting boaring now. Its the result of the combining of a health gene & a mutation. Have you ever kept 1 around for years? Of course not because they eventually auto with age if their made with mites mite, lowryder, viking, ect. They certainly are not photoperiod strains & you pretty foolish to think so. The auto mutation gene is dominant over any photoperiod strain. The only reason a fast version doesn't flower is because it as a dominant mutation (auto) going through multiplication but also a recessive (photo) gene doing the exact same thing through hybridisation. But I can 100% say they are not photoperiod.  Honestly the amount of times I have shown this its utter disgraceful people are still saying this shit. I will put my head on the block on this.:execute: prove what your saying & I will prove you wrong because this is becoming annoying I have been posting this with the relovevent scientific documentation since 2006 :wallbash:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 1