When you're on your plot and realise you've left the location setting on your phone.

Underdog

On 22/09/2023 at 10:43 PM, Underdog said:

it's very easy for someone to look at your phone, and discover all the other plots

Its not. Its not easy to get that data and when they do there isn't little tags next to every location saying "this is a grow" 

A copper would have to cross reference very where your been and then check every place you've been. 

That would involve checking tens/hundreds/thousands of locations. Woukd take hundreds of man hours to work out every single place you've been over a growing season. 

Logical thinking dictates this isn't gonna happen. 

People be watching too much csi and thinking that's the sort of resources that get chucked at minor crimes. 

Checking location data is used to tie a person to a place for a specific crime. Like a murder or rape etc. They ain't even gonna go and investigate every place a murderer has been previously unless it directly relates to a known crime.

What copper is gonna see a coordinate for a random place I the countryside and be able to justify it to his boss to get  a warrant to go snooping round some farmers wasteland etc and the next hundred other places to Check on the off chance there may be more plants. 

It's like a drug dealer getting Busted. The copper aint checking every single place he's ever been incase there's more drugs there. When you really start engaging a brain with a little knowlegede of how coppers work and thier limitations you can often take the tinfoil hat off ever so slightly and really just a tiny bit. 

Just throwing a but of common sense out is all. 

Yes it's probably good practice not to take your phone but in reality your worrying about protecting data that will never be relevant or investigated.

Cautiousness is good. But so is knowing the enemy and what they can and can't do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Its not. 

Yes. IT IS.

Its very easy for someone to look at your phone and discover all your other plots if you've left the location on. Why? Because our plots are in peculiar locations. We go there multiple times and can spend entire days at them. This sticks out like a sore thumb when looking at your past locations. Its not like our plots are down by the local corner shop is it?

You are objectively wrong. I know for an absolute fact police do this. Why? Because a very close family member is currently serving a sentence after having his grow houses busted when he only got grassed up for one of them.

And I'd be careful making comments like this. You wouldn't want to fit into the typical stereotype of being an arrogant, condescending, bullied and school bouncer now, would you?

When you really start engaging a brain with a little knowlegede of how coppers work and thier limitations you can often take the tinfoil hat off ever so slightly and really just a tiny bit.

• Like 1

Yes it's probably good practice not to take your phone 

Oh and its very good practice to take your phone with you. Most guerillas are solo. And being in the middle of no where without the means to call anyone for help if you've become severely injured or in a life threatening situation isn't exactly good is it?

Just switch your location off. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Oh and its very good practice to take your phone with you. Most guerillas are solo. And being in the middle of no where without the means to call anyone for help if you've become severely injured or in a life threatening situation isn't exactly good is it?

Just switch your location off. 

if location is off....then they still can see to what pole the phone was connected in the area..?...correct me if im wrong...

30 year ago noone had a mobile....now big brother can follow you every where you go.... same as criminals get on parole... :) 

there or holding devices which act as a cage of faraday...( chineese shops ) ...just put in your phone and you can not be traced ... and you have an emergency back up....

when they read out your phone...offcourse they see the blank periods where the phone was not connected to poles.... which is suspicious in their eyes...but its noway proof...

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, DutchFox said:

if location is off....then they still can see to what pole the phone was connected in the area..?...correct me if im wrong...

If you make any connection to the masts, they can figure out your location. 'Triangulate your position' they call it. It works by checking your signal level with the 3 nearest masts and they can work out more or less where you were from that.

I saw a program once where a dealer went to the police station to hand himself over something. They took his phone off him and proved by mast data that this other phone that was a known heroin line was usually travelling with his phone. Fucked himself with that one.

Another one is wifi networks, doesnt apply out in the sticks obviously, but google know where you are if you have location off and wifi on. Your phone is constantly pinging any available wifi connections and google know where they all are because the street view cars log them as they drive around.

Best to not take the phone at all if your worried about this sort of stuff.

I doubt they would put too much effort into finding other plots even if you did get caught though tbh. Going back through a phone and figuring out that kind of stuff is a time consuming, expensive task.

Edited by Strawberry Fields
  • Like 3

@Strawberry Fields

I think most of the time they wouldn't bother looking at your location history. All I'm saying is it's not hard for them to do, nor is it something they've never done before. And if there are big numbers involved weight wise all it takes is that bored jobsworth copper to look deeper into it.

Sure they're overstretched as it is and struggle with resources, but better safe than sorry at the end of the day.

• Like 3

How many folk have a grow on at home, post on here and always have their location on? Kind of puts it into perspective a little bit.  I think there must be an unnamed condition us gorillas are susceptible to where we think that others can somehow tune into our plots just because of the level of thought we ourselves give them.  You could probably ride a rally chopper wearing  day glow orange trousers and a t-shirt that says ' I'm off to my plot to snip some colas' and ride home with buds and scissors in a willow basket and noone would bat an eyelid.  Loose lips sink ships, always have and always will.  

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Clean Green said:

How many folk have a grow on at home, post on here and always have their location on? Kind of puts it into perspective a little bit.  I think there must be an unnamed condition us gorillas are susceptible to where we think that others can somehow tune into our plots just because of the level of thought we ourselves give them.  You could probably ride a rally chopper wearing  day glow orange trousers and a t-shirt that says ' I'm off to my plot to snip some colas' and ride home with buds and scissors in a willow basket and noone would bat an eyelid.  Loose lips sink ships, always have and always will.  

Hahahahaha that made me laugh. lol

Me personally, I guess I'm paranoid because a close family member is doing bird because of his phone.

Better safe than sorry at the end of the day. Its an effortless thing to do - switching the location off, so definitely worth doing whether you think it will impact you or not. Just my 2 pence haha

• Like 5

I switch everything off, location, data, email sync and of course your ring tone lol

Don't want your phone blowing off when your crawling about in the bushes :yinyang:

• Like 4

I only Harvest a couple of Oz per season total so I’m not worried 

fair point though for those naughty folks 

funny what you said about a phone being good for emergencies. I’ve had a few chuckles to myself in recent times thinking stuff like

‘damn you’d be fucked out here if you had a heart attack or stroke or something ha, Especially when your in one of those super super hard to reach/get into plots lol 

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 5