Growing hemp

Crow River

1 hour ago, Military Grade said:

I would love to find a strain that has the potent smell and taste of Cheese but is less than 1% THC, this would make for a great tobacco substitute for me.

If you find any cheesey phenos keep em for breading :yep:

Was speaking to a friend the other week they have stopped smoking tch and buying CBD online..about 150 an oz. they enjoy it,looked and smelt the part an  or just grow some? 

Why would you want to grow hemp?? Tldr 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stayup4ever said:

Was speaking to a friend the other week they have stopped smoking tch and buying CBD online..about 150 an oz. they enjoy it,looked and smelt the part an  or just grow some? 

Why would you want to grow hemp?? Tldr 

I'll take that question as "why grow CBD?"?

Because cannabis is more than just THC, all cannabinoids play a part in the entourage effects, alongside Terpenes.

CBD offers medical values that THC alone don't, and when you mix high amounts CBD with THC if enhances the medical value of both further.

If that's not what you're asking, if you mean why grow Hemp over a worked CBD strain less than 1% THC?, well the term Hemp is just a legal name for farming and is not a different species of cannabis.

Growing one's own  is the way to go, tho I'm still guilty of a few online purchases every now and then lol

Funny fact: Me and my mates growing up used to think Hemp meant the Male plant :doh:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

Went down a hemp seed wormhole on the internet, browsing web sites of big European hemp seed suppliers. Interestingly, some varieties are dioecious (what we would call regs), but others are apparently deliberately selected to be monoecious (hermaphrodites)... No fems though. I suppose if you're a farmer growing to make seeds for oil or food use (or fishing bait) then hermies make sense, guaranteed seed production. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Crow River said:

The primary strain bred for growing in French conditions is about 8% CBD, that's probably the seeds I'm getting, but maybe growing that further north might increase CBD levels? 

I read the data table incorrectly, was looking at the wrong column. :wallbash: The main French cultivar tested is 19% CBD! :shock: Hope that's what will be arriving in the post. If it is that strain, it will be regs too... :) 

When I looked at the info from the French supplier of that cultivar, they supply quite a lot of detail. Harvest date in 9th September at 48ºN. So, probably October at my latitude... The hermie seeds they supply are earlier, mid-August harvest (or September where I am most likely). 

Edited by Crow River

Just now, Military Grade said:

I'll take that question as "why grow CBD?"?

Because cannabis is more than just THC, all cannabinoids play a part in the entourage effects, alongside Terpenes.

CBD offers medical values that THC alone don't, and when you mix high amounts CBD with THC if enhances the medical value of both further.

If that's not what you're asking, if you mean why grow Hemp over a worked CBD strain less than 1% THC?, well the term Hemp is just a legal name for farming and is not a different species of cannabis.

Growing one's own  is the way to go, tho I'm still guilty of a few online purchases every now and then lol

Funny fact: Me and my mates growing up used to think Hemp meant the Male plant :doh: a field the other weeka 

No I didn't mean why grow CBD, I thought hemp wasn't really meant for smoking? Although I hold my hands up and have grown some when I was young which came amongst parrot/bird feed just to see lol..get some fem CBD seeds down ya mate which have been bred for what you're looking for? I passed a field a few weeks ago I'll pop pic up when on laptop 

• Like 2

If anyone has interest in low thc cultivars, looking into Dr. Allison Justice and her operation called "The Hemp Mine."  She's breeding, growing and processing vertically for cultivars that meet the legal limit of less than 0.3% THC.  I've been talking to her a little ( trying to become smarter through osmisis, you know?) and have learned a good bit already.  

As folks have said, Industrial hemp is not the same as Cannabis for CBD purposes.  I think the industry in the states has started to refer to them as Type 1 (more thc than cbd) type 2 ( equal cbd and thc) and type 3 ( more cbd than thc).  

Anyhow, Dr Justice is breeding ( ACTUALLY breeding.  Like really breeding.  Not pollen chucking.)  cbd hemp with the same sort of approach as people would use for food crops or ornamental plants.  I think she's probably one of  the frontrunner of cannabis research currently.  I believe she sells seed stock of her cultivars.  Probably even some options relevant to the UK climate, as I know shes bred and tested strains for the Northern part of the US.  Michigan, specifically, which is something like mid 40sN lat. 

Anyhow, I'd suggest checking some of her lectures out, if you're into that sorta thing.  

• Like 2

@Cajafiesta, great information! Thanks. :) 50:1 CBD:THC ratio strains on sale via the Hemp Mine site. $1 to $2 per seed is more like it! :yep: 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cajafiesta said:

I've been talking to her a little ( trying to become smarter through osmisis, you know?) and have learned a good bit already.  

I don't know. Is over watering your wife, busting her blood cells? 

• Like 1

Just now, Saddam said:

Daylight robbery, why not just buy a kilo of unprepared hemp seed (sold as fish bait)  for £6 from that auction site?

lollol 

Just now, Saddam said:

Daylight robbery, why not just buy a kilo of unprepared hemp seed (sold as fish bait)  for £6 from that auction site?

Pop it in your tent give us updates 

• Like 1