Growing hemp

Crow River

Was reading some old threads on here about folk germinating hemp seeds that they bought in the health food shop, fishing tackle shop, or pet shop. Had a look online, Holland & Barrett no luck - only milled or crushed seeds available. FleaBay a different story, lots of sellers. Finally settled on some French hemp, sold as feed for carp or similar. Just like the beans we grow, except obviously the THC levels will be minuscule, and the price is totally different. Picked up a kilo of seeds for less than you might pay for one fem seed from a bigger seedbank. :D

Now, what am I going to do with a kilo of hemp seeds? I could feed some carp, my daughter's hamster, wild birds, or cook them and feed myself or anyone else. But no, I'm going to grow them! :dev: If Paul McCartney can do it, then so can I, yeah? Except he's a millionaire, owns a farm, pays a licence, all legit. I'll be doing it GG style... :) 

With so many seeds, I can just find an isolated spot, dig it over, broadcast the seeds, rake the soil over them, maybe a bit of phosphate, and then come back in a month or two, see what there is.

Why bother? Well, CBD for a start. Hemp might not have much THC, but it has CBD. So that could be extracted in various ways from the flowers and leaves. I can maybe use the stalks as a mulch, or just compost them. Also I can produce seeds, which can be cooked and eaten (high in protein), pressed for oil, sprouted to eat the sprouts, or planted for next year. Could even cross the hemp to a THC strain to produce my own CBD / THC crop in future years.

E2A:- doing a bit of reading, there is apparently a "risk" that a low THC hemp crop can "go hot", i.e. high THC. 

Current cultivars, even when grown successfully in previous years, may produce THC levels above the legal threshold in the following year due to varying growing conditions (ABC News 2021). 

Oh now, it would be a terrible pity if that occurred, wouldn't it? :D Reading the news article cited, I discovered that the reason more THC was produced may have been cooler conditions, and more rain than usual. Sounds quite like the conditions where I live... :george:   I'll need a different plot or plots for this, preferably nowhere near my current grows, to avoid accidental pollination of the ganja. But reckon it could be a fun challenge. 

Once the seeds arrive, I'll do some germ tests to see what the viability is like. Will update here once that's happened.

Edited by Crow River
Extra info
  • Like 9

@Crow River you've got to much time on your hands you brother lollol

Interesting 1 this but so are some of your other 26 projects lol

Only kidding dude but i do wonder where you will find the time for everything :yep:

Never heard of french hemp. Used to use it years ago for fishing, wed swear it got the fish high, made them dopey and easier to catch,  they loved it. 

• Like 3

@Crow River I've got 2 Kilos of organic hemp seed sat in my cupboard that I occasionally use for cooking, maybe I should try germinating a few.

Be aware of some of the bulk deals as alot is produced in China with lots of chemicals.

• Like 3

Hemps very visble.....

Ex carp angler of 20 odd years here, i once forgot about 5kg of hemp id put in a bucket to soak , a month or so later i buried the fetid brew well away from the house behind the gooseberry patch, dug a whole lot of hole , buried it two feet deep(!) ... following spring thetes a dozen fuckin gurt industrial hemp trees growing up through the goosegogs lol:doh:

:yinyang:

• Like 7

For the sheer challenge factor its a great idea :yep:      Could prove to be quite interesting mate !!

Good luck with it and looking forward to seeing the progress.  

• Like 2

@Revive, don't worry mate. :) You are right of course, I'm off my head me. lol 

Think the idea with this would be very much plant and leave. So the time factor would be reduced. Obviously still need to find suitable spots. Maybe at the edges of fields, nearby railways out of town, abandoned industrial land, that kind of thing.

• Like 2

@Pushka, yeah didn't fancy the Chinese stuff, so went for beans grown in France. Second largest global producer after China apparently. I suppose there's plenty of farmland in France right enough.

Definitely worth germinating a few of your hemp seeds, you can just eat the shoots if nowt else... :yep:

• Like 1

@BilgePump, ha! Sounds like a classic. lol Bet you don't have a cultivation licence either... ;) 

Yeah I'll need to go a bit off the beaten track for this one, and not visit unless absolutely necessary. I did some reading up, apparently the strains grown for seed are a bit shorter and bushier than the ones grown for fibre. But what do I know? 

I have a notion to even do a bit of seed bombing around the place, slightly subversive like. :dev: I'm assuming that if it grows to maturity, this stuff will just self-seed too (if there's at least a few males to pollinate the females). 

@UKsFinest, @BilgePump, @OldFord, cheers folks. I can just imagine a few foragers mistaking this for the good stuff. :D Even if a crop "goes hot" I can't see the THC percentage getting above single figures without systematic selective breeding. But again, what do I know? 

Anyway, all just a bit of fun. The local birds and mice will love it too, I'm sure! lol 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

Im guessing with lots of the hemp around it may distract or help disguise yours more.  

Just the airborne pollen that im seeing as an issue if anywhere in the vicinity of yours.   

As you say im sure the locals will be surprised lol     

• Like 3

Just now, OldFord said:

Just the airborne pollen that im seeing as an issue if anywhere in the vicinity of yours.   

I shall be steering well clear of my current plots. I read somewhere that pollen can travel many miles on air currents. Saw a report on the south of Spain and the amount of cannabis pollen found in air samples is crazy! Some of that will be local Spanish cultivation, but apparently a lot of it comes over on the breeze from Morocco! :shock:

Might be a bit less of a problem round here, the rain will sort out any stray pollen. But I will deffo put a few miles minimum between my main grow spots and this bit of fun... Reckon set off from home to scout, and head in the opposite direction to normal. :yep:

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crow River said:

Maybe at the edges of fields, nearby railways out of town, abandoned industrial land, that kind of thing.

Hedgerows might bea good idea so they don't stand out to much possibly?

Dude we are all off our fuking bonces and not many more than me..the crazy shit that goes through my nut when I'm high you would not believe lol im glad I dont share it on here and keep that bazaar shit to myself or i might get cast into the shadows lollol

• Like 3

@Revive Oh aye, but I'm crazier than most! lol 

Hedgerows a good shout. I can think of a few places out of town. Only issue might be there's often livestock on the other side, they'll munch all the hemp shoots before they get a chance...

Well I've got months to scout about the place. Might revisit a few spots that I earmarked earlier for proper GG, but decided against as too far away for frequent visits. Ideal for plant and leave though. :yep:

• Like 1