Growing hemp

Crow River

Another thought crossed my mind, to sow clover along with the hemp. Gives a bit of ground cover while the hemp shoots are getting going, and fixes nitrogen too, so maybe no need for extra fertiliser. Got to think more like a farmer... :) 

• Like 2

lollol That's a blast from the past! Always had time for The Wurzels. Even for a novelty act they never took themselves too seriously...

• Like 1

Do what i used to do and get some mesh pva bags (ex carp angler again) and make up compost and hempseed bombs , they're proper handy for hoofing onto roundabouts and suchlike :ninja:

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Just now, BilgePump said:

Do what i used to do and get some mesh pva bags (ex carp angler again) and make up compost and hempseed bombs , they're proper handy for hoofing onto roundabouts and suchlike :ninja:

:yinyang:

Definitely up for a bit of seed bomb action! Kaptain Kaos style... :yep:

• Like 2

Just now, Military Grade said:

Farming Hemp has very low CBD too, it ain't naturally high in CBD, CBD Hemp strains are bread to increase the CBD levels.

I'm aware of that, but what I have read is that ordinary hemp is used to extract CBD. Maybe the quantity needs to be a bit higher, but reckon standard extraction techniques can concentrate what's there.

• Like 2

I guess if you're extracting 100+ plants it wouldn't matter too much if they only have 1-2% CBD levels.

The extractions I buy tend to come from the US or Switzerland where specifically bread and picked less than 1% THC strains are used. This will yield greater levels of the compound with less crops:yep:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Crow River said:

@Revive, don't worry mate. :) You are right of course, I'm off my head me. lol 

Think the idea with this would be very much plant and leave. So the time factor would be reduced. Obviously still need to find suitable spots. Maybe at the edges of fields, nearby railways out of town, abandoned industrial land, that kind of thing.

Corn field would be perfect I'm thinking of doing a plot on one near me next year

• Like 2

I would love to find a strain that has the potent smell and taste of Cheese but is less than 1% THC, this would make for a great tobacco substitute for me.

If you find any cheesey phenos keep em for breading :yep:

• Like 2

@Military Grade, I did a bit of a search for papers on this, and it seems the CBD (and THC) content of hemp varies quite a lot. Not only by cultivar, but also by growing conditions. This caught my eye (my emphasis):

All industrial hemp varieties contain THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids, although the concentrations in some varieties are very low to non-detectable. In northern latitudes, industrial hemp has a particularly high content of CBD and low content of THC. CBD content is higher than THC, and CBD can be detected at relatively low levels in hemp seed oil. This is because the production and storage of CBD and THC are in the glandular structures of the plant. The wide range of CBD content detected is primarily due to the amount of resin retained by the seed coat during processing, as well as the varying hemp varieties and their associated cultivation conditions.

Promising...? :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

I would love to find a strain that has the potent smell and taste of Cheese but is less than 1% THC, this would make for a great tobacco substitute for me.

If you find any cheesey phenos keep em for breading :yep:

I'll definitely be interested to see what the terpenes are that come off this stuff. We will see! :) 

• Like 1

@Crow River Check out a hemp strain called Silver Bullet I think it's in the high teens in CBD there are others also farmers around here grew hemp a couple years back it wasn't the tall ropey looking shit this looked just like a cannabis plant then the state fucked them over and destroyed the crops saying it had to much THC less than one percent really a lot of farmers lost a lot money on that deal fucking prohibition 

• Like 2

After a bit more digging, it seems that even industrial hemp cultivars have decent levels of CBD, though obviously less than the new lines bred for CBD extraction. Varies on average between 8% and 16% in the main registered industrial cultivars. The variation is between 6% and 25% for newer CBD cultivars. The primary strain bred for growing in French conditions is about 8% CBD, that's probably the seeds I'm getting, but maybe growing that further north might increase CBD levels? 

Data here if interested. Suggest copying rather than clicking the link, as it's a US government server...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7587197/bin/molecules-25-04631-s001.pdf

• Like 1

Just now, bfehillbilly said:

@Crow River Check out a hemp strain called Silver Bullet I think it's in the high teens in CBD there are others also farmers around here grew hemp a couple years back it wasn't the tall ropey looking shit this looked just like a cannabis plant then the state fucked them over and destroyed the crops saying it had to much THC less than one percent really a lot of farmers lost a lot money on that deal fucking prohibition 

Good information mate, cheers. That story about the farmers sounds familiar. I read something about a farmer in Tasmania who had to destroy his hemp crop (grown for seed/food use). Blamed the higher THC on cooler, wetter conditions. Maybe that's the gamble with legal hemp growing, unfortunately. For illegal grows, higher THC and CBD is a positive... :D 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2