Light levels for different stages

Gaijin

Just to piss on this topic from a great height (as I love to do)

I start them at at a 1000.....by the time they transition they will be nearing 1500....

By the time they reach the lights god only knows what stupid PPFD they are pulling (close to 2000)

No CO2 kit in my room.

The results are fairly impressive :yep: unnecessary....yes....inefficient....yes......do I care....no. 

Bugbee is god..... and gods word is the truth!

large.64d57ff19880b_82990F17-D651-4652-B5E9-7906ACAB959FLarge.jpeglarge.64d57fe4884d7_AD688DED-097A-46CA-A04A-E595D3727094Large.jpeglarge.63a1f7c518fe5_IMG_3471Large.jpeg

All the following grown with Bugbee's DWC formula, screaming EC's and pulling waaaaaaaaayyyyy over 800 PPFD

• Like 8

12 hours ago, The Green Manalishi said:

Can confirm that the Photone app on iPhone 12 with diffuser is pretty bang on

Its close enough IMO 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Some good info here, just falling down this hole myself and trying to get my head around things. :smokin:

Edited by Blaze Easy
  • Like 1

I have a Uceri MT-912 Lux meter and according to a Youtube video I found the conversion factor for PAR for this meter is multiply Lux by 0.0165 (so extremely close to the Uni-T with 0.017) so it seems to get a DLI of 40 (optimal according to Migro) I need a Lux of about 30,000 giving me a Par of 500 and because I am using 24 hours light vegging atm I used this to convert to DLI https://www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/daily-light-integral-dli-calculator.

I think that's right anyway, lol.

• Like 2

The other thing I need to get my head around for LED is temperature, it seems like they need higher temps in order to get a decent leaf surface temp (because they don't have the IR that HID's do)? About 26-28c leaf surface temp is best?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Satchitananda said:

The other thing I need to get my head around for LED is temperature, it seems like they need higher temps in order to get a decent leaf surface temp (because they don't have the IR that HID's do)? About 26-28c leaf surface temp is best?

I've noticed that in my current run.. I've even documented it in my diary.

LST was -4 the ambient temperature at some point...

• Like 1

On 25/08/2023 at 9:03 AM, zen-ken said:

Just to piss on this topic from a great height (as I love to do)

I start them at at a 1000.....by the time they transition they will be nearing 1500....

By the time they reach the lights god only knows what stupid PPFD they are pulling (close to 2000)

No CO2 kit in my room.

The results are fairly impressive :yep: unnecessary....yes....inefficient....yes......do I care....no. 

Bugbee is god..... and gods word is the truth!

large.64d57ff19880b_82990F17-D651-4652-B5E9-7906ACAB959FLarge.jpeglarge.64d57fe4884d7_AD688DED-097A-46CA-A04A-E595D3727094Large.jpeglarge.63a1f7c518fe5_IMG_3471Large.jpeg

All the following grown with Bugbee's DWC formula, screaming EC's and pulling waaaaaaaaayyyyy over 800 PPFD

I’d love to see a grow diary from you :D 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

I’d love to see a grow diary from you :D 

Atb

I have a few diaries in and around the place.....I have some Perzimmon in atm......I will, however, be popping a load more next week 

I stopped on social media (you can still find me on instascam) for a while as I was attending a funeral every other month from February including both my parents.....

Im back in the saddle now tho :yep:

• Like 6

Just a thought on Bruce, he works for large commercial growers (as well as NASA) who fund his research, so when they say 'how much light can a plant take' he pushes the limits, he uses a labratory, grow chambers, he has access to all he needs and he isnt afraid to mess up a crop to find out.

Us, on the other hand, have tents in our sheds, we have a crop that we dont want to mess up and we have no access to exotic grow chambers.

So while he is indeed a god in this field of research he is still a scientist, funded by large commercial growers and always pushing boundries, boundries that we cant push.

• Like 2

@David Attenborough ......that was recently.....because people like us kept bugging him to do it lol

I mailed the guy and he got back to me....not his admin....he got back to me......I would say his drug is knowledge....not money.....

I thought he had sold out once...turns out the money he wanted for the cannabis courses was going to fund undergraduates......

We can implement most of his findings.......the last research paper I read was done with no CO2, Mid level and full on...

His DWC formula at background CO2 works for me like a dream.....nitric acid instead of the phosphorus...the numbers he gave just work and really validated what me and a lot of members had starting saying about EC levels.....

He is primarily a teacher at the university....he only set up apogee cause people kept asking him for testing equipment.....he has produced world class professors and students.

Before the Athena videos, man has been dropping knowledge....for free....for a long time..

He pushes the limits so we don't have to......he freely gave all the formulas as does Dr Fernandez.....I'll be honest....I dont see your point with all due respect.

I wouldn't suggest using over 1000Par tbh as it's inefficient and wasteful.....But it will take stupid amounts of light even from seed. 

I apologise if I gave the wrong impression....going over a 1000 is completely unnecessary and wasteful without temps and CO2.....I just got an addiction to bloody LEDS when they came out lol and I like the way the bud grows.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zen-ken said:

@David Attenborough ......that was recently.....because people like us kept bugging him to do it lol

I mailed the guy and he got back to me....not his admin....he got back to me......I would say his drug is knowledge....not money.....

I thought he had sold out once...turns out the money he wanted for the cannabis courses was going to fund undergraduates......

We can implement most of his findings.......the last research paper I read was done with no CO2, Mid level and full on...

His DWC formula at background CO2 works for me like a dream.....nitric acid instead of the phosphorus...the numbers he gave just work and really validated what me and a lot of members had starting saying about EC levels.....

He is primarily a teacher at the university....he only set up apogee cause people kept asking him for testing equipment.....he has produced world class professors and students.

Before the Athena videos, man has been dropping knowledge....for free....for a long time..

He pushes the limits so we don't have to......he freely gave all the formulas as does Dr Fernandez.....I'll be honest....I dont see your point with all due respect.

I wouldn't suggest using over 1000Par tbh as it's inefficient and wasteful.....But it will take stupid amounts of light even from seed. 

I apologise if I gave the wrong impression....going over a 1000 is completely unnecessary and wasteful without temps and CO2.....I just got an addiction to bloody LEDS when they came out lol and I like the way the bud grows.

Hey if you can achieve this then by all means do it, I know I would. My point was that most growers wont be able to, or wont take the risk in trying and get by quite well without doing it. UVB for instance, or far red, it would be nice to have it but you can still do all right without it.

• Like 1

I don’t have a separate channel for reds,

but my main LEDs already have Far and Infra Reds.

I also have a couple of Grow The Jungle Mantis UV LEDs,

but you could run UV tubes if you prefer(cheaper option) :) 

UV is only used during the second half of the bloom period.

It’s similar to the difference between running HPS and CDM/CMH :thumsup:

Atb

• Like 1

May as well throw this question in here :) @Shumroom 

I defoliated my small tent a couple of days ago, removed quite a lot of vegetation. I noticed yesterday and more so today, white tips on the fan leaves. At first I thought I might have overfed, but really, they've been on the same feed for a couple of weeks with no ill effect. I was thinking, with all the leaf area I removed, would that mean that the remaining vegetation is trying to absorb a lot more light than it perhaps was before I cut loads of leaves away? Does that make sense? 

• Like 1